Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Was post crisis Superman still fast enough to travel through time?
    No. Byrne took that power away from him. I don't think many people minded though. I think Byrne era topped out a little faster than the speed of sound. 767 mph or 343 m/s.

Post-Byrne (after 1988), Supes' power levels were amped back up.

1993 - Death, Reign and Return of Superman said he could make the journey from Coast to Coast in 4 minutes. That's roughly 42,210 mph, if Supes is flying in the atmosphere and not flying to space first and arcing his way down to another part of the planet.

By 1997, with Grant Morisson on JLA, Supes was back up to Silver Age levels and then some.

Flash, Superman is second.

Caught'em

Astonishing Member

Flash was being mind controlled and wanted Superman to catch him in that. That very same comic (Superman: Grounded) ends with the infamous "Attosecond" panel to show that Barry's far ahead of Clark. The entire point of that series being to try to diminish Superman in an attempt to assuage the "He's too powerful!" crowd.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Flash was being mind controlled and wanted Superman to catch him in that. That very same comic (Superman: Grounded) ends with the infamous "Attosecond" panel to show that Barry's far ahead of Clark. The entire point of that series being to try to diminish Superman in an attempt to assuage the "He's too powerful!" crowd.

Which is dumb,and during and after Rebirth hopefully they will stop that ****.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

And I suppose that there was part of Wally West’s early career when his speed was heavily curtailed when Superman was faster.
    Actually Superman was heavily depowered at the time after the Byrne reboot and Wally raced him and won.

I don't know what Barry's current power levels are at but Wally would wipe the floor with him just by virtue of stealing Kal's speed alone and could beat him in his sleep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    ]
    That last panel can be used in so many creative out-of-context ways...

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Actually Superman was heavily depowered at the time after the Byrne reboot and Wally raced him and won.

I don't know what Barry's current power levels are at but Wally would wipe the floor with him just by virtue of stealing Kal's speed alone and could beat him in his sleep.
    During that race between Wally and Superman, however, Wally was also at one of his speed ebbs. I think Wally was strictly sub-light at the time.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    No. Byrne took that power away from him. I don't think many people minded though. I think Byrne era topped out a little faster than the speed of sound. 767 mph or 343 m/s.

Post-Byrne (after 1988), Supes' power levels were amped back up.

1993 - Death, Reign and Return of Superman said he could make the journey from Coast to Coast in 4 minutes. That's roughly 42,210 mph, if Supes is flying in the atmosphere and not flying to space first and arcing his way down to another part of the planet.
    I'm not sure where Byrne wanted his speed. Catching up to Superboy before he hit time traveling speeds is vaguely the best. But like you say, instead of using sheer speed normally he just used advanced flight patterns.

The race with Wally a little later was restricted to a foot race. He's around mach 5 in Earthbound flight shortly before his death. After, Jurgens had him state on several occasions that he could make it to the moon and back under an hour.

Which may not sound crazy compared the ridiculous numbers of other comics, but what that means is that if distance is the only obstacle, he could reach the point where a fully oxygenated human would black out in a tenth of a second. Even if Flash is ten times faster, that's not really something he can duplicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    During that race between Wally and Superman, however, Wally was also at one of his speed ebbs. I think Wally was strictly sub-light at the time.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Oh Wally was decidedly sub-light at the time .

His power was in the machs at that point. But Byrne had depowered Supes so they were close to even keeled. Wally still beat him.

But currently? All he would have to do is steal Supes speed and the race is over before it began.

To quote Wally's friend Vic.....Boo-Yah!

Ah, the early days of the New 52. Seems like such a long time ago.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 11-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.

BANNED

I love how ppl argue that flash has 1 power,and he should be the best at it,BUT then the same ppl will start saying "well flash can just steal Supermans speed".do you see how much of a dipshit u have to be to argue BOTH points?

IMO
    The speedforce is how a normal human can move as fast as a engineered/evolved god like Superman is.

It's clear the Flash can accelerate and can move much smoother than superman.superman seems to have to build up to the speed the flash would get to much easier,and has to push himself really hard to get there and sometimes get past it.

They are both awesome,why argue,just enjoy them both being awesone
    Last edited by stephens2177; 11-28-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Incredible Member

On a footrace, the Flash is faster but if Superman is flying, I think he either ties or edges Flash but a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I love how ppl argue that flash has 1 power,and he should be the best at it,BUT then the same ppl will start saying "well flash can just steal Supermans speed".do you see how much of a dipshit u have to be to argue BOTH points?
    First off, I suggest you back the hell up.

Secondly I was the one who said Wally would steal his speed. I never said anything about him having only one power. That's ridiculous.

Your revisionist fanfic regarding the properties of the speedforce is also....interesting. (?)

I don't know who you think you are at this point but you seriously need to check yourself. This is a Flash VS Superman speed topic. If you don't like the topic then stay the hell out of it because ,quite frankly, I see only one "dipshit" in this thread.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 11-28-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Flash taps into the speed force to get his power, which is unlimited. While Superman just uses his strength to move fast, and therefore should have an upper limit.
    So Flash has to be faster.