Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is the equivalent of Joe Quesada getting rid of the Spider-marriage just because he personally didn't like it. The actual fans reading the comic and paying his bills be damned. Yesterday I was looking at the new Superman trade that collects his new history and I just kept thinking to myself, "God, what a mess!" I go back and look at the New 52 origin or the new Earth One Superman and the more simplistic version and it's just so much more appealing to me. I think a lot of this stems from the whole "this counts, but this doesn't" mentality. Marvel is kind of bad about that too but they lampshade over it a lot better than DC does. Yes, Iron Man's origin has been outright changed but everyone accepts that's a necessity to maintain the passage of time issues. When a comic that came out last year isn't canon, there's something wrong.
    Dc has been infamous for the "This counts but that doesn't" mentality since immediately Post-Crisis. Supposedly, Marv Wolfman wanted a complete restart because he felt the whole Crisis was pointless otherwise. At the time, 1986, my friends and I would joke about things like, "Well, in this comic, Page one, panel one still happened but panel 2 now happened in a different way and panel 3 didn't happen at all."

Since then, it only got worse. I'll be honest. I rarely read comics anymore and, when I do, it's "Batman '66" and "Wonder Woman '77" and tie-ins and collections of old stuff. Part of that is nostalgia. Part of it is the price of comics today. But I still read certain characters. What made me totally lose interest is that it seemed pointless to get into a character when I'll read a great series and then, within six months to a year, the next writer just decides it never happened. That started way back. There was Shazam the New Beginning and then it was thrown out for Power of Shazam and that probably didn't happen long before the official restart. In my opinion, "Rebirth" was the best Superman origin story ever done and I don't think anybody treated it as canon and it might as well have not even been done.

I remember a Marvel editor when I was a kid responding to a letter where someone complained that around 1970 the characters should be going on ten years older than when Marvel started and joked about how Susan Richards had the longest pregnancy in human history. He just said, "Oh come on, we all know comic book time isn't the same as real time. Maybe in the world of comics, people just live a lot longer."

I almost wish we could suspend our disbelief just as we do to accept a man from Krypton who flies through the air so fast he's invisible yet doesn't cause tornadoes and use that same suspension of disbelief to ignore the passage of time and just say Superman started in 1938 and all the stories of all comic characters happened when they were originally published and just go from there. Of course, I realize there comes a point where new readers would feel the origins and formative years of the characters were no longer relevant.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'll be honest, anymore all I get are Elseworlds and out of continuity stuff too since that seems more stable than the mainstream books. Which is a shame. It's not a good sign when the most stable continuity DC has is the Injustice universe. I'll pick up a good story if I like it but for the most part, I ignore continuity. It's just a hassle to keep doing that. Especially since I didn't feel the need to do that with New 52.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Can I ask why you guys want the trunks being off to be a recent thing? Why does this small detail matter? That wouldn't even make sense if you try to fit the new 52 suit,the black suit and the rebirth suit in the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Can I ask why you guys want the trunks being off to be a recent thing? Why does this small detail matter? That wouldn't even make sense if you try to fit the new 52 suit,the black suit and the rebirth suit in the timeline.
    Has it ever been explained why (in the comic books) Superman stopped wearing the red trunks? Even in the TV Supergirl the episode "Midvale" established at one time Superman wore trunks.
    But even on the TV show when he shows up in the present he no longer wears the trunks. So when and why exactly did Superman stop wearing the red trunks?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Has it ever been explained why (in the comic books) Superman stopped wearing the red trunks? Even in the TV Supergirl the episode "Midvale" established at one time Superman wore trunks.
    But even on the TV show when he shows up in the present he no longer wears the trunks. So when and why exactly did Superman stop wearing the red trunks?
    It hasn't, because we've never seen an in-universe transition from trunks to no-trunks, unless I missed something in Rebirth. That's possible, actually. I seem to remember Jon asking Clark why he didn't wear trunks anymore, but I don't remember what Clark said. It may have been a total non-answer. However, out-of-universe there was a reboot, and before the reboot Clark had trunks from the second he had a cape and after the reboot he had blue-jeans with his cape at first, and then no trunks once he got his space-tights.

What actually happened is that some exec (probably Jim Lee or Dan Didio, but I bet he had plenty of support) got sick of hearing jokes about how Superman wore his underwear on the outside of his long-johns, and they said "Screw this! In our new reboot (already in progress,) Superman's going to have no trunks, and robo-lines on his armored action suit, so people will respect him!" Honestly, I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. There's been "underwear" jokes since the fifties at the latest, and even though Batman wears them too, only Superman ever seemed to be the butt of the jokes. I get why folks would say "Well, we've revamped Wonder Woman's costume, Batman's costume, Robin's was revamped twenty years ago, they revamped Captain America's costume, Iron Man's- why the hell not Superman?"

If there was a problem, it was that the likes of Didio would go to conventions and make mean-spirited jokes about the trunks, which looked like a massive middle finger to pre-Flashpoint Superman fans. Well, that and the fact that the new suit looked inconsistent depending on the artist. Lee made it look like it had mass but it still wasn't bulky. Perez made it look bulky and clunky. Jesús Merino did too in my opinion. Rags Morales made it look skintight and awesome.

Also, the high collar never really looked great. Even the artists that made it look decent, it always looked better if they messed up and accidentally forgot to draw it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    It hasn't, because we've never seen an in-universe transition from trunks to no-trunks, unless I missed something in Rebirth. That's possible, actually. I seem to remember Jon asking Clark why he didn't wear trunks anymore, but I don't remember what Clark said. It may have been a total non-answer. However, out-of-universe there was a reboot, and before the reboot Clark had trunks from the second he had a cape and after the reboot he had blue-jeans with his cape at first, and then no trunks once he got his space-tights.
    If I remember correctly that scene was basically there to give Jurgens and excuse to defend the trunks in-story. I think Superman actually went on a rant about how it wasn't underwear since it was sewn into the trousers and how he thought it looked great. Basically his answer to why he's not wearing the trunks anymore was "Yeah! why aren't I wearing my trunks anymore?"

Incredible Member

Seeing the intelligence of Superman. I just don't want him to be Superman be with just his super powers, but I want to see him with intellegence and being a scientist if he wanted to be. I think the "All-Star Superman" animated movie gave a good example of that. Superman in the Silver/Bronze Age had this and I want it to be restored.