Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

In comics, DC is crushing it right now. I was a Marvel Zombie for most of my comic reading life, but the past few years caused me to drop almost everything Marvel. DC, however, has greatly excited me.

Now in the movies... maybe people are just sick of Batman and Superman? People loved Wonder Woman and I suspect they’d gobble up an Aquaman movie. But we’ve seen so many reboots and iterations of Bats and Supes (including on TV shows airing at the same time as the movies) that it’s harder for people to be excited. I think they want something different.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

I think we will see reboots of JSA and LoSH next year.They were teased in Rebirth.

BANNED

Did you see the plain and generic advertising they did for the JL movie? I even posted on it somewhere on CBR about.how the hell are ppl going to get excited about a movie with the same generic pictures used for everything,that looked like it came from the same photo shoot,and how the could they use so many scenes that make the movie look like one big green screen movie,when it wasnt.

Wonder woman feels like wonder woman,you could seamlessly go from what we have had for decades as "who she is" right to the movie,not so much with Superman.

If they used Superman from the start,I think it would be doing better,he has a presence that makes you lift your chin up,and it was lost on all those dark,bland advertisements.

The movie itself was great imo,my favorite, BECAUSE i got a comic to life,whicj is exactly what I want out of my superhero movies and shows.

I do think Superman needs to lose all the weird lines and shit on his movie suit and have a actual belt,like Rebirth,Reborn,JLA,Smallville,etc has,but that's a nitpick,just like I want Henry to talk way more,Superman is the ultimate inspiring figure,so let him inspire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think they have strong appeal, outside of WW though WB just can't make great superhero films. That's really all it boils down to. They're trying to fix things, but the shared movieverse just does not have much goodwill in it after the failures. Its one reason I think they need to shelve JL2 indefinitely and go back to solo projects. Its what they always should have done but they felt forced to get right to the team-up because Marvel was already there. Not taking into account that Marvel was already there only because they got started a lot earlier and built things up. WB took the cheap way there starting with changing MOS2 to BvS. That was the start of all the problems. It wasn't earned. It wasn't built. It was just shoved together haphazardly on a whim and felt that way, and rather still does.
    DC has great characters, but those in charge have spent a decade tearing them apart and making them unrecognizable...IMHO. There's a lot in the above post that I agree with. DC had plenty of time to introduce the moviegoer to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern in solo movies before putting out a Justice League movie. IMO they rushed to put Justice League out there because of Wonder Woman's success. From what I've seen of the trailers and read of reviews...bad story, no Hal Jordan, a Barry Allen that looks and acts like a Kid Flash, a Cyborg that doesn't do much and another overblown CGI villain. Perhaps if DC slows things down and actually starts caring about putting together a well-rounded story and pays attention to all the little details, they can turn out some pretty cool movies.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

When it comes to pop culture and general audiences DC gets the short stick. Can't blame it when the mainstream presentations amount the the DCEU and the recent wave of poor animated movies. Batman is an exception as always, but the rest of the characters? Ouch. Superman was probably damaged the most, with 2 movies portraying him as a depressed lunatic, and the third one where his return could only be described as a nightmare. Can't have him come back and ready to kick some ass, instead have him be ready to snap everyone's neck and say ''WHY WONT YOU LET ME DIE?'' Bravo WB. At first I was bummed they didn't have any Green Lantern in the league but in the end it's a good thing Hal, John, Guy Gardner, hell even Jessica and Simon were spared from appearing in this embarrassment of a universe.

I didn't even watch WW, despite being praised and me being a big DC fan. It's tied to the Snyderverse and I want nothing to do with that after BvS and SS. And no, I'm not paying to see JL either. Let it flop and try again in 10 years.
    Last edited by Beorg; 11-21-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    I didn't even watch WW, despite being praised and me being a big DC fan.
    Then you don't know that there's virtually nothing that ties WONDER WOMAN into the rest of the movies. The only things that might are Gal Gadot playing the same character and a letter that comes from Bruce Wayne at the very very beginning of the movie and an email she sends back to him at the very very end of the movie. But there's nothing that says this is the same Bruce Wayne, because he never appears in the movie.

The WONDER WOMAN movie can easily be regarded as taking place in any and all universes. It could even exist in the Marvel universes.

But I understand the predicament. There are some Marvel movies I'd like to see, but I can't bring myself to go see any of the Disney Marvel movies. I can't stand Robert Downey Jr. and I don't want to see movies connected with his Iron Man. If there was a Marvel movie that was outside that universe, I might be persuaded to see it. But then I'd still have to give my money to the corporation that will rule us all. And I don't want to finance the takeover of the planet by the Disney overlords.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    In comics, DC is crushing it right now. I was a Marvel Zombie for most of my comic reading life, but the past few years caused me to drop almost everything Marvel. DC, however, has greatly excited me.

Now in the movies... maybe people are just sick of Batman and Superman? People loved Wonder Woman and I suspect they’d gobble up an Aquaman movie. But we’ve seen so many reboots and iterations of Bats and Supes (including on TV shows airing at the same time as the movies) that it’s harder for people to be excited. I think they want something different.
    I kinda disagree here. I don't think people are tired of Batman at all. People were excited to see the new version in BvS. I think people just want a good Batman movie. The problem is with WB they are just lost in the woods in so far of how to handle it. They are afraid to do a new Batman for some reason it seems and are more worried about doing a Joker movie that 90% of the people could care less about. If they would just do a good Batman movie I think it could go a long way to setting the ship right at DC. I was excited for the idea of a Batman vs Deathstroke movie that Affleck came up with, but they went and scrapped that and now want a younger Batman story which I can almost guarntee you will have the Joker in because WB is too short sighted to realize you can do a great Batman movie without using the Joker all the time.

Also I think the "Crushing it" period for DC in comics is coming to an end as well. With the hype of Rebirth dying down, I can already see things starting to stagnate again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Default DC /Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think it's the opposite it's not that people don't find DC heroes appealing it's that they do love them particularly the Trinity which have been part of Americana for decades and are like Baseball and Apple Pie at this point. Look at what people say about the DCEU when complaining it's not only complaints about CGI or Story but "Superman wouldn't act like that", "Batman wouldn't do that", "That's Lex Luthor?". Most Marvel heroes are blank slates for the general audience so they accept and enjoy the version the MCU puts out but people think they know Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and their Rogues and have expectations and when those aren't met they don't watch IMO.
    In other words DC is hamstrung by older cultural perceptions that no longer apply. What you call iconic others find stale and no longer relevant. This is like the argument long time Captain America fans have had with the recent CapHydra storyline. I said that JLA the motion picture was a mistake from the start. That being said I probably will like the movie just like I enjoyed B vs. S and WW. They were both entertaining in their own way. Enough already with iconic status and relegate these films to where they belong entertainment. If they flop and fail it's because they didn't entertain properly not that they didn't follow some continuity mandate from 75 years ago. There is a mass audience out there that could care less about continuity. What I do object to is the use of Cyborg in this film because I hoped to see along with the reemergence of Black Lightning,Vixen,Mr. Terrific, along with possibly a few others a real DCU minorities team come forward. Instead we get a great character squandered by being shoe horned in to a project that was dubious from the start. But fans just couldn't live without it . So it goes.

Also I think the "Crushing it" period for DC in comics is coming to an end as well. With the hype of Rebirth dying down, I can already see things starting to stagnate again.

yup, i think the Rebirth hype is diying down, and anyine that thinks this status quo is set in stone isj ust delusional.

But marvel happens to be no exactly in heir best time indeed

I must say all you guys replies made me realize my stance was certanly hiperbolic, but this thread could still be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I kinda disagree here. I don't think people are tired of Batman at all. People were excited to see the new version in BvS. I think people just want a good Batman movie. The problem is with WB they are just lost in the woods in so far of how to handle it. They are afraid to do a new Batman for some reason it seems and are more worried about doing a Joker movie that 90% of the people could care less about. If they would just do a good Batman movie I think it could go a long way to setting the ship right at DC. I was excited for the idea of a Batman vs Deathstroke movie that Affleck came up with, but they went and scrapped that and now want a younger Batman story which I can almost guarntee you will have the Joker in because WB is too short sighted to realize you can do a great Batman movie without using the Joker all the time.

I would welcome a Battman solo, acually, i hink they should have go for a proper MOS sequel and a Batman solo to begin, but Nolan was too fresh at the moment, and fans are not easy indeed. But i think a rebooted solo Batman in lest say 2015 would not have failed in box office never

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The first issue of DOOMSDAY CLOCK drops tomorrow (spoilers:
    I'm kind of amused by how Bruce Wayne/Batman/Ben Affleck not so subtly hyped that title in the JUSTICE LEAGUE movie
    end of spoilers). I expect that's going to move the needle one way or another.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 11-21-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think the DC characters are highly appealing. Wonder Woman made huge money. The Rebirth books have been a success. That's why it's so sad to see these poorly put together films being released. Even the CW shows, as popular as they are among comic fans, just don't do justice to these concepts. Just lots of fan service and ultimately soap opera shows with uninteresting narratives.

I love Aquaman and his world immensely, and see no reason why he can't have success in a day when Guardians of the Galaxy and Game of Thrones are the norm.

There are dozens of highly talented creators working in comics now that make the worlds of DC highly enthralling.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-21-2017 at 03:35 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think that DC's characters still have appeal to people and that problem boils down to the way the actual plots of the movies are handled by the screen writers and the way the film ends up being edited. WB seems to have a great deal of trouble with editing in particular. You can't just tell someone that they need to cut a finished or almost finished down to fit into a smaller time frame and that's sort of what I feel keeps happening. It like an comic book editor coming in and rewriting someone else's book entirely without a by-your-leave so it fits some new direction the higher ups just came up with last week. Bad editing can make a decent movie into trash.

Personally though I don't even bother with going to the theater these days when its far cheaper to wait for Netflix to get the movies I want to see. Its also much quieter and I don't have to drive 45 minutes to the next town to get to the theater. I'm also, stranglely enough, not a big fan of superhero films either whether they are DC or Marvel. They really aren't all that appealing to me personally even though I love the characters.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Incredible Member

It was a mistake to let Snyder make Justice League. People just don't love his DC movies. Marvel had two unloved Thor movies and shifted directions rather than more of the same and now we have a Thor movie that will make more than a Justice League movie. That's the life lesson. Stop doing what is not working. Don't spend 250 million on a movie with the same director from the last 2 movies which people didn't love. People forget about the average box office for Batman Begins but it was good and they could build upon that goodwill. Justice League didn't have that.
    Note: I loved Man of Steel and the directors cut of BVS.