Default Where to begin?: Books about the DC Trinity

So the Justice League movie has totally won me over as far as DC Comics goes, and I want in. However, what I would like to read is a bit of an odd duck: Books about just the trinity of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman together. My embracing of the trinity really started with, of all things, the climactic fight in Batman V Superman of the trinity VS Doomsday and actually kicking all kinds of ass, and Justice League and some stuff that happens there is really scratching my DC itch.

Now obviously all three have their own books, but are there any about just the three of them together? My concern is how daunting a task it'd be where to start and depending how far back I need to go. Between the multiple reboots, I'm afraid I might not know what I'm getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    So the Justice League movie has totally won me over as far as DC Comics goes, and I want in. However, what I would like to read is a bit of an odd duck: Books about just the trinity of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman together. My embracing of the trinity really started with, of all things, the climactic fight in Batman V Superman of the trinity VS Doomsday and actually kicking all kinds of ass, and Justice League and some stuff that happens there is really scratching my DC itch.

Now obviously all three have their own books, but are there any about just the three of them together? My concern is how daunting a task it'd be where to start and depending how far back I need to go. Between the multiple reboots, I'm afraid I might not know what I'm getting into.
    Does DC have a book about just the three of them?

It's called Trinity.
    A trade paperback collection of the first six issues of the current series (there have been two other limited-runs in the past) will be available next month.
    Just beware: as you're probably aware by now, comic books (the inspiration source for the movies) aren't always like what you saw in the movies (whether they're DC, Marvel, etc.).

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Look no further. This is why they call me, Doctor Know.

Wonder Woman: Read the Perez run from 1988. Collected in 2 omnibuses so far. Also, the first 6 volumes of New 52 WW, I recommend.

Batman: Start with the Jeph Loeb Tim Sale books. Haunted Knight, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Read Loeb's Hush series next. I would also recommend Morrison's Batman and Robin and Batman Inc runs are a must. Scott Snyder's New 52 run had it's ups and downs but he stayed for 52 issue. So that's commitment you have to admire.

Superman: John Byrne's run from 1986-1988 would be a good place to start if you wanted a beginning that actually had a committed follow up. You'll soon discover there are a lot of Superman origin stories that end up being nothing more than one-shots/high priced fanfiction. Read All Star Superman, Birthright, Red Son, Legion of Superheroes The Great Darkness Saga, Kingdom Come.

It'll be available in December? Perfect timing for me to get it, thanks a bunch.

And yeah, I've been a comics fan for nearly 4 years now, so I'm more than aware of how the books and other adapted visual mediums don't gel all the time. It was a combination of the MCU, Internet Reviewer Linkara, and word-of-mouth that got me to start with Marvel with the new Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan. On the other side of the pond though, I've started to become more aware of DC and its illustrious characters & roster, but it wasn't until the DCEU and revisiting some of the old DCAU stuff that got me into trying the comics themselves. And DC Rebirth does seem like a good choice.

If ever I would want to get into the past stuff, like say the Post-Crisis or New 52, did they also have books just featuring the Trinity?

I'll take a gander at their solo entries eventually across the three modern DC eras, but for now as I don't have free time and a lot of budget, I'd like to stick with just one book with the three of them.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 11-20-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

For a good story about the Trinity coming together for the first time, you should check out Matt Wagner's Trinity.

Not a book, but an issue, Justice League of America #0

RCO001.jpg

Specific individual issues are gonna be a problem, but I'll put JLA#0 on the list too.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'll probably start with the Rebirth Trinity and slowly work my way backwards. But if other people want to chime in, by all means do so. I'm really on a DC high now.

Astonishing Member

There's also the Trinity 52 issue weekly series by Kurt Busiek which was collected into 3 trades of awesome.

trinity123.jpg

It delved and kind of celebrated the Trinity as well as showing various Trinity's as the stories backbone outside of just our main Trinity. It even showed us just how different the world in the DCU could be if they never existed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    There's also the Trinity 52 issue weekly series by Kurt Busiek which was collected into 3 trades of awesome.
    But the actual Trinity isn't really in the book in the majority of the story. And you need imo to have allready a good knowledge of the DC Universe to really follow the story.
    Last edited by Aahz; 11-21-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I second Matt Wagner's Trinity with its adventure movie flair and gorgeous art and recommend JLA Year One by Mark Waid.

EDIT: Oops, you said Trinity and JLA YO is about all of them.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 11-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But the actual Trinity isn't really in the book in the majority of the story. And you need imo to have allready a good knowledge of the DC Universe to really follow the story.
    I think I covered that pretty well in my description. Plus even they "weren't" in it they still were. Funny how that goes.
    Last edited by PyroTwilight; 11-21-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Wonder Woman #140-141