Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to physically read an Omnibus

Please bear with me. I’ve only boughten on Omnibus (Green Lantern) and it fell apart immediately. What’s the best way to actually read an Omnibus without it falling apart? The build quality of omni’s is brought up so much, I had to ask before I buy anymore. Thanks for responding!

I think you ask an excellent question!

Unfortunately, I don't know, so too am awaiting the response.

I wonder if they fall apart due to the volume of pages, weak binding for the amount of pages or some other reason?

I've never had an omnibus fall apart, so I'm not really sure to be honest. I have heard of a lot of issues with the GL omnibus' though, so you may find that you are reading them fine and it is just a bad omnibus? I have a WW and a couple of Batman from DC, which are fine I haven't actually read my GL ones yet though.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

There is a preferred way to "break in" the spine of a new omnibus, so that you minimize the risk of it falling apart. There used to be a link in one of the sticky threads on the first page of this forum, but I couldn't find it in my 10 second search. Check out YouTube, there are several videos about this.

I won't bore you with trying to explain, as it's definitely easier to show than it is to tell.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

There is a recommended way to “stretch the spine” before starting read to avoid/ minimise damage.

One of those things where it’s far easier to take in by watching a quick demo, rather than try to give a verbal explanation. If you go to YouTube and whack in “how to read omnibus without damaging spine” you’ll be offered a few helpful videos.

But omnis...by some measure my least favourite format. When I saw this thread my first guess was it would be about a way to actually read them in comfort.

I see SJ beat me to the keyboard!
    Last edited by JackDaw; 11-20-2017 at 12:09 PM.

there ya go:

don't let the GL omnibus put you off, that book is a beast and unfortunately with DCs production quality some of their bigger books are just fall apart sometimes. I've seen multiple posts about the textblock separating from the spine. If you get some smaller omnibuses they should be fine.
    I would say keep them flat on a table or a pillow (or if the pillow is in your lap make sure the bottom is propped up so it's not sagging) or get a sturdy book reading stand.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    Please bear with me. I’ve only boughten on Omnibus (Green Lantern) and it fell apart immediately. What’s the best way to actually read an Omnibus without it falling apart? The build quality of omni’s is brought up so much, I had to ask before I buy anymore. Thanks for responding!
    Never buy another Omnibus, wait for the multiple trades to collect your Green Lantern stories. Problem solved. Just messing with you! I have seen a few YouTube videos on how to break the Omnibus in before reading it, it involves laying the book flat & then opening the book up into sections before going through every page at a time...or something like that. This guy seems to know what he is talking about...

I really want to get the Uncanny Xmen Omnibus’ but they’re big and expensive. Anyone have any experiences with those?

I really want to get the Uncanny Xmen Omnibus’ but they’re big and expensive. Anyone have any experiences with those?
    I bought UXM v1 & v2 last year and regretted it, soon after sold them off on eBay, but that is just me. I did not like how big and heavy they felt when I handled them, so afraid I was going to damage them. I am no expert on Omnibus books, but I prefer my books a lot less...lighter and easier to manage. That said, the spine seemed fine on vol 2, but vol 1 I noticed pages were already partially unglued from the spine and that freaked me out! They were still intact, but not tightly hinged like on vol 2, a gap was noticeable. I suppose it is like Russian Roulette with an Omnibus, just pray after you pay that the book is tight and sturdy??

I have read them all and had no issues, I usually use a short comic box and open the omnibus on that and have it lay flat when reading.

When I read an omnibus, I tend to sit it on my lap, and that way the book never really opens completely flat. I've not had any problems with them falling apart but I do always limber up the spine a few times before I read any of them.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Mighty Member

Honestly the newer printings of UXM arent even that big. They're like middle of the road sized. I always read laying on my bed and have never had one "fall apart". But I'm gentle and dont like carry them around in a book bag or anything, just from the shelf to my bed. I wouldn't be dissuaded into trying one out. If you don't like it, it's not like they're hard to sell. Probably get most of your money back

Incredible Member

How did your omnibus fall apart? I find the majority of people who thought their books were damaged or falling apart actually had nothing to worry about(not saying yours isnt damaged. It does happen). Its people looking at the build of their books when they probably had ignored studying the build of any other book they had ever read. It can be stressful, I know. I was one of those people overanalyzing their books worried they would fall apart. Its really rare for these things to fall apart though although it seems the GL books were known to have issues. I never had any problems although I did follow the breaking in advice others have posted and use felt to prop up the pages when on the shelf. Its cheap and easy to do and worthwhile for these large monster books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Honestly the newer printings of UXM arent even that big. They're like middle of the road sized. I always read laying on my bed and have never had one "fall apart". But I'm gentle and dont like carry them around in a book bag or anything, just from the shelf to my bed. I wouldn't be dissuaded into trying one out. If you don't like it, it's not like they're hard to sell. Probably get most of your money back
    I don't find them big at all either. They feel like the size of a regular small sized textbook. Now something like the GL and JSA books are big. I completely avoided buying doom patrol and the invisibles and just bought the trades/deluxes. I don't find the jumbo books hard to read but I also dont reach for one if I want to read in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    How did your omnibus fall apart? I find the majority of people who thought their books were damaged or falling apart actually had nothing to worry about(not saying yours isnt damaged. It does happen). Its people looking at the build of their books when they probably had ignored studying the build of any other book they had ever read. It can be stressful, I know. I was one of those people overanalyzing their books worried they would fall apart. Its really rare for these things to fall apart though although it seems the GL books were known to have issues. I never had any problems although I did follow the breaking in advice others have posted and use felt to prop up the pages when on the shelf. Its cheap and easy to do and worthwhile for these large monster books.
    Pages came apart in sections from the binding. I’m sure I’m overthinking it. I’ll follow the advice given on breaking them in. Thanks for all the suggestions! This place is a wealth of knowledge.