Page 58 of 191 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Leaguer52 View Post
    It was quite informative. I have older Hellblazer comics that had the back cover ad imprinted on the backing board which is the decaying process, I'm guessing. Those old Vertigo books tend to decay.
    Color /ink migration may or may not be an indication of vinegar syndrome decay for the paper. Best case scenario is the binding or fixative agent applied to the back cover has degraded to the level where it no longer prevents the ink from rubbing off. Modern adhesives and additives to glossy paper stock should not contain acetate-based compounds but this varies from the era of printer and paper supplier of course. Hellblazer was printed right at the edge of the era (late 80s) when publishers began experimenting with alternative papers (e.g. company name Mando, Baxter, Hudson papers) If you don't smell any vinegar, I wouldn't worry too much. I would just replace the backing board with a fresh one. Many collectors swear by the use of micro chamber papers to limit the effects of vinegar syndrome. I can't vouch for them but it may help if you have books that aren't too far gone.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    Color /ink migration may or may not be an indication of vinegar syndrome decay for the paper. Best case scenario is the binding or fixative agent applied to the back cover has degraded to the level where it no longer prevents the ink from rubbing off. Modern adhesives and additives to glossy paper stock should not contain acetate-based compounds but this varies from the era of printer and paper supplier of course. Hellblazer was printed right at the edge of the era (late 80s) when publishers began experimenting with alternative papers (e.g. company name Mando, Baxter, Hudson papers) If you don't smell any vinegar, I wouldn't worry too much. I would just replace the backing board with a fresh one. Many collectors swear by the use of micro chamber papers to limit the effects of vinegar syndrome. I can't vouch for them but it may help if you have books that aren't too far gone.
    Thanks for the information. This will definitely help me keep my Vertigo collection from decaying. Is this something that you work with or have in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    Love the smell of new book.
    Right? I remember when I found my JMS Thor omni sealed. I could smell the book instantly when I removed the plastic.

Right? I remember when I found my JMS Thor omni sealed. I could smell the book instantly when I removed the plastic.
    That's the smell of Chinese air--very industrial!

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    That's the smell of Chinese air--very industrial!
    I think it smells more like Marvel cutting quality corners. But my sniffer could be off. :P
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Thanks for the information. This will definitely help me keep my Vertigo collection from decaying. Is this something that you work with or have in the past?
    You're welcome, Dark_Leaguer. I've worked in a university library while still in school but a lot of this info has been stuff I learned just from collecting over the years. It applies to other media & fields of work/study like film & video as well. It helps to know people who are archivists or work in the preservation field. I hope you keep your collection in great condition. There are many Vertigo books from that era which are worth preserving.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I bring the meeting of new book aroma sniffers self help anonymous into order!! *Stands up*

I, Captain Craig, enjoy the smell of freshly opened book! Fresh out of it's seal I fan the pages creating a breezy aroma of ink, gloss and glue across my face. If it's a problem, I submit myself to my peers for guidance and assistance on curbing myself of such self destructive tendencies. *Sits down*
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I bring the meeting of new book aroma sniffers self help anonymous into order!! *Stands up*

I, Captain Craig, enjoy the smell of freshly opened book! Fresh out of it's seal I fan the pages creating a breezy aroma of ink, gloss and glue across my face. If it's a problem, I submit myself to my peers for guidance and assistance on curbing myself of such self destructive tendencies. *Sits down*
    I love the smell of a freshly unsealed book. Cards also, nothing beats opening some Booster backs and taking a huge whiff. Strange though I like these but and against smoking.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    You're welcome, Dark_Leaguer. I've worked in a university library while still in school but a lot of this info has been stuff I learned just from collecting over the years. It applies to other media & fields of work/study like film & video as well. It helps to know people who are archivists or work in the preservation field. I hope you keep your collection in great condition. There are many Vertigo books from that era which are worth preserving.
    I try my best to keep my issues in great condition. I have the entire run of Preacher, Shade the Changing Man and Sandman in single issues. I also have a good chunk of Books of Magic.

*sigh*
    Book smell. Mmmmmmmmmm.

I'm glad I am here with like-minded people/smellers.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Mighty Member

been into collected editions for little over 2 years. I recently sold off collected runs of preacher, dmz, scalped and locke and key in anticipation of upcoming and/or upgrading to hc's.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17015[/ATTA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible Member

Following on my posts in the Shelving/Display thread, does anybody have any pics of there Kallax's down on their sides (lenght-ways across the wall) with heavy books on them? I worried they won't support the weight as well that way, but it really looks damn good in the space.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Following on my posts in the Shelving/Display thread, does anybody have any pics of there Kallax's down on their sides (lenght-ways across the wall) with heavy books on them? I worried they won't support the weight as well that way, but it really looks damn good in the space.
    I don't think they will. The narrow 2x4 shelving have longer boards for the three middle sections and four short boards, held by screws and flimsy ikea pegs, for what you're using horizontally. Heavy books could put too much strain on that.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Here's a link to my collection. I don't have the Kallax, but I have two Expedit 4x2 that I have in an "L" shape. The books seem to be holding up fine.

http://imgur.com/a/sZKou

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Here's a link to my collection. I don't have the Kallax, but I have two Expedit 4x2 that I have in an "L" shape. The books seem to be holding up fine.

http://imgur.com/a/sZKou
    I see you finally decided to post your collection.