Page 110 of 191 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2854

Ehh this worries me. I'm going to be getting some kallaxs but can not in any way anchor them to a wall. Also its on a carpet, which may cause it to not sit flat. I have 15 omnis and about 50 HCs or so, wouldnt that weight hold it down well enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Ehh this worries me. I'm going to be getting some kallaxs but can not in any way anchor them to a wall. Also its on a carpet, which may cause it to not sit flat. I have 15 omnis and about 50 HCs or so, wouldnt that weight hold it down well enough?
    I can't anchor my shelves to the wall either so I put the heavier books to the bottom. Worked fine so far. Also you can put something under the front of the shelf, just some paper or something thin so it will tilt backwards just a wee bit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I can't anchor my shelves to the wall either so I put the heavier books to the bottom. Worked fine so far. Also you can put something under the front of the shelf, just some paper or something thin so it will tilt backwards just a wee bit.
    This is what I've done with my shelves as well, heaviest books (absolutes and the like) to the bottom. It just makes sense that way.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    This is what I've done with my shelves as well, heaviest books (absolutes and the like) to the bottom. It just makes sense that way.
    Anchoring to the wall is more about earthquake safety. Leaning them back will definitely help for any incidental shaking.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Anchoring to the wall is more about earthquake safety. Leaning them back will definitely help for any incidental shaking.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but that's absolutely not true. Any bookcase over 5 feet or so should absolutely be anchored to the wall, especially cheap ikea shelves on carpet; it's simple statics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk, but that's absolutely not true. Any bookcase over 5 feet or so should absolutely be anchored to the wall, especially cheap ikea shelves on carpet; it's simple statics.
    Not a jerk. I have no idea what statics even is so please enlighten... I live in the NW so everything is always about earthquake safety. It looks like some book learning could definitely be used in this current topic.
    Last edited by Brewman; 03-19-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Not a jerk. I have no idea what statics even is so please enlighten... I live in the NW so everything is always about earthquake safety. It looks like some book learning could definitely be used in this current topic.
    My feelings on this are skewed with a new child in the house...

If you are thinking of a bookcase, then to tip it over it has to pivot around one of the corners. You find the torque associated with the weight of the bookcase acting at the center of mass around that pivot point then equate that to the torque created by some applied force. The higher the center of gravity, the less applied force is needed to achieve that same torque. You can assume that there is enough static friction to keep the pivot point fixed, but on carpet that would change.

That was a terrible explanation, but but some point you realize that the force needed to tip isn't all that great, which is why they provide anchor kits with these things.

I agree, you should always anchor your bookcases to the wall. It's just plain irresponsible to leave them standing free, even with the wider models like the Kallax.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    My feelings on this are skewed with a new child in the house...

If you are thinking of a bookcase, then to tip it over it has to pivot around one of the corners. You find the torque associated with the weight of the bookcase acting at the center of mass around that pivot point then equate that to the torque created by some applied force. The higher the center of gravity, the less applied force is needed to achieve that same torque. You can assume that there is enough static friction to keep the pivot point fixed, but on carpet that would change.

That was a terrible explanation, but but some point you realize that the force needed to tip isn't all that great, which is why they provide anchor kits with these things.
    I have a 2 year old and the shelves I am in process of putting up have doors, and as much as I don't want to drill/punch holes in my 1940's plaster I am going to have to. I know that the open doors can increase the leverage on the fulcrum/axis but on standard open front shelves it would seem the force would have to be applied rather high up (depending on center of mass) to topple, but I can see how spongy carpet would allow a false sense of stability. I at least have hard wood floors so I know that the footing is more solid. Always better safe than sorry I suppose.

Incredible Member

Got my shelves up finally yay! Then realized I need more.... If you are distressed by unorganized shelves these are not for you. I haven't figured out a system I want to use yet and I had to get them out of where they were so they are just up. The only thing I did do was put all the whales in the cabinet next to my bed away from potential child access. image.jpgimage.jpgsome phc'simage.jpg

Incredible Member

Incredible Member

image.jpg
    Edit double posted a couple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brewman; 03-21-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Incredible Member

Incredible Member

Incredible Member

image.jpg
    Some of my tpbsimage.jpg
    A tub of floppies and tpbs I need to figure where to shelve. I have another tote the same size full of tpbsimage.jpg