Page 44 of 191 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Valentino View Post
    I wrote a commemorative blog post when my Billys had to be retired last year if you wanna check it out :-)

http://magnumvalentino.wordpress.com...th-of-a-billy/
    I am so damn glad that my husband built our bookcases out of solid wood with weight-bearing books in mind.
    I'm so sorry this happened to you.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Updated my collection pics. Used photojoiner, which was quite some fun... And for close-ups click on the link in my signature.
    I feel like you forgot to post the second image because there's no way that's your whole collection lol. But in all seriousness that is an amazing collection as always Martin. Do you have much more room to expand if you wanted to?

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I feel like you forgot to post the second image because there's no way that's your whole collection lol. But in all seriousness that is an amazing collection as always Martin. Do you have much more room to expand if you wanted to?
    Ha I know what you mean. With everything in that one picture it looks smaller. Mind you the dimensions are 3 meters wide and 2.4 meters high. I should have space in that comics room for another 3/5th of 4/5th of of what's pictured. But I might go ahead with a Kallax next and use it on both sides. Anyway stuff to think about...

Updated my collection pics. Used photojoiner, which was quite some fun... And for close-ups click on the link in my signature.

Amazing collection there mate

By d way u don't cover them up or something? What if it attracts dust etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by osakafanz View Post
    Amazing collection there mate

By d way u don't cover them up or something? What if it attracts dust etc...?
    Thanks. And funny you mention this. At this Dutch/Belgian website I posted the same picture we're discussing open vs closed bookcases. Open looks a lot nicer... higher display value. But dust and (sun)light can really harm the books over time. (Dark) colours get bleached and whites turn yellowish. A couple of doors solve the problem, but then there goed the display value... choices...

As for my collection it mildly attracts dust I think since it's in a separate room without cotton and other textiles in it. I'm the only person that visits the room, so that helps too I guess. Discolouring for now is only visible on those Asterix softcovers left of the Long John Silver box-set. Those used to be bright white, like a couple of those Asterix' right next to it. But those books are all from the early 90's.
    Last edited by MartinNL; 01-05-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Amazing Member

amazing great collection!
    thanks for the pics

Fantastic Member

Thanks. And funny you mention this. At this Dutch/Belgian website I posted the same picture we're discussing open vs closed bookcases. Open looks a lot nicer... higher display value. But dust and (sun)light can really harm the books over time. (Dark) colours get bleached and whites turn yellowish. A couple of doors solve the problem, but then there goed the display value... choices...

As for my collection it mildly attracts dust I think since it's in a separate room without cotton and other textiles in it. I'm the only person that visits the room, so that helps too I guess. Discolouring for now is only visible on those Asterix softcovers left of the Long John Silver box-set. Those used to be bright white, like a couple of those Asterix' right next to it. But those books are all from the early 90's.
    who cares about a little discoloration, this is a collection to be seen! it's true value is mainly in how much joy it provides the owner, and if you hide it in closed bookcases, why bother collecting anyway? i'm preparing to get my single issues sold for exactly that reason. you buy them, (maybe) read them and then lock them away forever in an ugly box. how are they yours if you don't even know about their existence anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post
    how are they yours if you don't even know about their existence anymore?
    By displaying them in a blog

But I will probably be the first to recognize that is not the same, but hey, absolute peace of mind regarding dust, sun and kitty claws!
    Last edited by vark; 01-05-2015 at 02:42 PM.

I really love your collection Martin, it's a great pool of inspiration for me, thanks for updating this. One may notice a certain lack of Marvel OHC and Omniboo. I think that for such an impressive collection, this is worth mentioning. Lots of great european stuff too. It's a pity the Blacksad slipcase has only room for 4 HC (if I'm correct). Great job, Martin!
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

who cares about a little discoloration, this is a collection to be seen! it's true value is mainly in how much joy it provides the owner, and if you hide it in closed bookcases, why bother collecting anyway? i'm preparing to get my single issues sold for exactly that reason. you buy them, (maybe) read them and then lock them away forever in an ugly box. how are they yours if you don't even know about their existence anymore?
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    I really love your collection Martin, it's a great pool of inspiration for me, thanks for updating this. One may notice a certain lack of Marvel OHC and Omniboo. I think that for such an impressive collection, this is worth mentioning. Lots of great european stuff too. It's a pity the Blacksad slipcase has only room for 4 HC (if I'm correct). Great job, Martin!
    Thanks.

Oh yeah Marvel. To make matters even worse... I only ever bought the omnibuses and those 4 PunisherMax hc's (and spent max €200 on the lot I think). The rest I got for free from cheap-comics.com. And tbh I still need to read all 5 of those omnibuses! LOL Seriously though, Marvel only does superheroes and not much else. The history of their characters I find too convoluted and as a matter of fact I just don't really care about them or enough to delve into that history. I have to say though that Daredevil interests me and after having watched the Guardians of the Galaxy recently I might get some of that eventually too. Cap is cool too, but the rest, nah, I'll pass.

Yep Blacksad slipcase has volume 1-4. Fingers crossed Dargaud will do another after volume 8 or so. They released the slipcase for Long John Silver separately too.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks.

Oh yeah Marvel. To make matters even worse... I only ever bought the omnibuses and those 4 PunisherMax hc's (and spent max €200 on the lot I think). The rest I got for free from cheap-comics.com. And tbh I still need to read all 5 of those omnibuses! LOL Seriously though, Marvel only does superheroes and not much else. The history of their characters I find too convoluted and as a matter of fact I just don't really care about them or enough to delve into that history. I have to say though that Daredevil interests me and after having watched the Guardians of the Galaxy recently I might get some of that eventually too. Cap is cool too, but the rest, nah, I'll pass.

Yep Blacksad slipcase has volume 1-4. Fingers crossed Dargaud will do another after volume 8 or so. They released the slipcase for Long John Silver separately too.
    I get that, being a big fan of non-superhero comics, and Marvel does have a convoluted history but hardcover-wise, the ones I like the most are the self contained gems like Annihilation, Secret Warriors, X-Statix, Fury MAX etc. And I love the darker heroes the most too like Daredevil (Miller's run is a must read for every comic fan, especially Born Again. Bendis' and Brubaker's runs are a treat for noir fans as well), Nick Fury (Secret Warriors is sooo good and Fury MAX is one of the best war comics ever) and Loki (Journey into Mystery by Gillen is just magnificent). Not a fan of Cap myself though
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I'm with you man. I'm upgrading all my singles to hardcovers and TPB for this exact reason.

martin, as always, impeccable collection!
    formerly 'weeks'

Yeah I totally get it... is the display value to make the purchase worthwhile!

How long have you been collecting comics? What is the oldest title u have n how is its condition now?

Fantastic Member

WOW!!!

This is... a dream collection. I don't know what to say. Actualy I do: Thank you!

I literally study your collection and these close-ups are very helpful for me (and maybe not only for me). So thank you for the spent time and effort. It's much appreciated.