Page 7 of 191 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    Yeah I was luck to have just moved to Washington before they released it, was my 5th anniversary gift from the wifey. I wish he had numbered the bottles since supposedly only 60 of them were signed, but now there's really no way of knowing. We were actually at the LCS the other day trying to find her some Thor (she likes the movies) but came up empty handed. Might show her this. Any other recommendations for a movielike Thor?
    She probably likes Loki (I know my gf does ) so I'd say the Journey into Mystery Ultimate Collection or Loki (by Esad Ribic). Both are great reads and easy to find!

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I really like your collection.

You've got way more stuff than I have. Not as many omnibi, but a lot more OHC.

I like your dog. Looks like A Black Labrador, but male or female? I can't tell from the picture.

( Only asking because I'm a vet).
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 05-15-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cerd the nerd View Post
    I like your dog. Looks like A Black Labrador, but male or female? I can't tell from the picture.

( Only asking because I'm a vet).
    That would be Mischa (2yr old bitch), she guards my books for me. Everyone thinks she's a pup as she's only the size of a springer spaniel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    That would be Mischa (2yr old bitch), she guards my books for me. Everyone thinks she's a pup as she's only the size of a springer spaniel.
    Awesome! My lab also guards my books, but she's a bit camera shy and refuses to pose for pics. She once ate a few of my floppies, but after a sincere talk, she's decided it give them a wide birth.

All-New Member

Wow.. The non-comic hardcover collection is impressive..

Not directly comic related, but I would like to get any help from you guys.. The 'Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein' and 'Becky Cloonan's Dracula' are so Great. Do you guys know, any other classics got such art & large format treatment? If so, provide the ISBN please..

All-New Member

I started collecting a little over 10 years ago, I skew towards Marvel but I have a fair amount of DC and Indie stuff too. I have a mixed collection of Omni's, OHC's and TPB's. I try to avoid the Premiere HC's in general, but I started buying the Marvel NOW versions as they look great on a shelf. I have something like 650 'volumes' at the moment, but I count Omni's by the amount of volumes are in it, if that makes sense.

I wanted an easy way to show what is on each shelf, and I had the idea of facing one book out on the shelf so you can see at a glance. It got to a point where the outward-facing book had to be an omni or an OHC, so I've been in the process of converting a lot of my collection into hardcovers where available. Just got the bottom shelf to go.

The bookshelves are from the Billy range at Ikea, various sizes side by side with a couple of Media units in between. I tend to use those to display comic-related blu-rays and DVD's and try to put them adjacent to the relevant comics. I'm a super nerd so I use a spreadsheet to plan my layout, which you can see at the bottom. Close-ups to follow...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

All-New Member

I try to group books together that relate to each other, then put them into some sort of reading order. I like the shelves to flow into one another in a sensible way if possible. With my DC stuff I split it by origin stories and standalone stuff in the top left, Crisis stuff and alternate future stories on the right, then put all my Vertigo and Wildstorm together in the middle.

Grant Morrison's DC stuff is a row down on the left, and most of Geoff Johns stuff I own is on the right. These two writers had the only ongoing stories that really survived the New 52 relaunch, so they 'bleed' sideways into the New 52 shelf in the middle. Writing this makes me sound crazy, but it all makes sense in my head...

image.jpg

All-New Member

The Marvel stuff is a bit more complicated... Avengers related books re on the left hand side. Solo titles for the 'big three' at the top, then team books underneath. Again, in some sort of reading order.

image.jpg

On the right hand side are other solo series (more street-level stuff) and X-Men & other teams underneath, mirroring what's happening on the left.

image.jpg

In the middle of these Avengers and X-Men sections are all the event books that relate to either team in a reading order, the events tend to alternate between the two, then occasionally there's an event for both (House of M, AvX). Above that is the current stuff, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do when the Marvel NOW sections outgrows its shelf...

image.jpg

Underneath those is my Ultimate Marvel shelf, mostly Bendis' USM. I didn't have room for them on the two Marvel rows, and they're the closest things to creator owned books at Marvel, so they're in the Indie and creator owned section of my shelves.

All-New Member

At the bottom I have my indie type stuff, most of the top row is Hardcover by now, these are grouped by author. Below are softcovers that are grouped by publisher. On the left are Brubaker's and Bendis' stuff, on the bottom shelf I keep anything Vertigo and Wildstorm related that doesn't form part of the Pre-52 DC universe.

image.jpg

On the right is BKV's books, and an assortment of stuff from Greg Rucka, Jonathan Hickman and Matt Fraction, I don't have enough of their books to justify their own shelf. Underneath are Dark Horse and other publishers TPB's.

image.jpg

In the bottom middle is Robert Kirkman's Image stuff, not pictured I'm afraid. For the most part the middle shelves are where new books go as the rest are pretty locked down. As they fill up I have to re-think the layout, I have another bookshelf on the other side of the room for overflow and books that are too tall to fit, so that's gradually going to fill up with time.

Hope you enjoyed this glimpse into my OCD brain.

Fantastic Member

Wow I love the way you have displayed your books Kirky . Looks super so much nicer than the comic boxes I got . May have to look into hc's and tpb . Great job .

Kirky, you're the one who had the blog about display/organization right? The setup looks familiar and I remember the flowchart lol. You should throw that link up. or throw it in the shelving thread.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Beautiful set up Kirky, I may steal some of your ideas. Having the movies in there and Facing some out.

All-New Member

Thanks guys. Yes Gears I did post a link to shelf organisation article I wrote a year ago, my shelves were quite different then.
    http://wethenerdy.com/five-rules-of-shelf-organisation/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirky View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes Gears I did post a link to shelf organisation article I wrote a year ago, my shelves were quite different then.
    http://wethenerdy.com/five-rules-of-shelf-organisation/
    Your collection is famous mate.
    I recognised it too.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

image.jpg

Just realized that I surpassed 50 Marvel Omnibus's last week when Annihilation arrived. Here's the motherload as it stands today!