Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Jean Grey Costumes (re X-Men: Red)

With the reveal of Jean Grey's new costume for X-MEN:RED and the debate over its merits, it would be interesting to see what some of the Community's favorite looks artists have created for Jean/Marvel Girl/Phoenix over the years have been.

What do you think of the X-MEN: RED suit?
    jeangrey red.jpg

BANNED

Red costume is garbage. Phoenix and Quitely are the best.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

Its like a combination of the jim lee one and the dark phoenix
    we can be heroes, just for one day

I don't like the new costume. The colors don't work. The 90's costume works because it's blue and yellow and the hair works as a red and it's a primary color scheme. The Phoenix costume works because green and orange (her hair color) are complements. The Dark Phoenix costume works because the hair and costume are all warm colors. The blue in the new costume is a cool color and "cools" down the costume too much. It would work with the hair but the red clashes. Blue and red together don't work for Jean.

Include alternate reality looks and unused designs (like this Jim Lee special from the great Gold/Blue relaunch of yore...) if you wish

I don't like it much. Is it supposed to be armor? With the knee pads, shoulder pads and face thing it looks like an Iron Man suit or something.

Also, this has nothing to do with the outfit and is just the art, IMO she looks too young. If you told me that was young Jean from Blue I'd believe it.

Jean Grey is a character who has usually had great costumes in most incarnations. But this one is quite possibly the ugliest one she's ever worn...

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Red costume is garbage. Phoenix and Quitely are the best.
    I agree 100%
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I'm not crazy about Jean's new costume: the blue is just too much and too concentrated. I also don't know what's going on with the potential armor look. It's just a weird look, overall.

As for my favorites, Phoenix/Dark Phoenix is still my fave, followed by her red X-Factor costume and the Revolutions-era red costume. Quitely would probably be after that, but I'm having a hard time calling it a costume considering that it's basically a normal-looking outfit.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm in the minority, where I actually enjoy the costume. It doesn't knock my socks off are anything, but I don't feel its terrible. I'm more disappointed that it isn't as original as I was hoping for. It seems to draw a number of elements from the 90s costume.

Spectacular Member The Mary Janes's Avatar

It looks so terrible, lol.

Difficult to create something superior to the Phoenix uniform with green or red.

Yet still believe they could have created a better uniform. To think that Jean who came back after years absent having to wear this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by 16 Bit View Post
    I don't like it much. Is it supposed to be armor? With the knee pads, shoulder pads and face thing it looks like an Iron Man suit or something.

Also, this has nothing to do with the outfit and is just the art, IMO she looks too young. If you told me that was young Jean from Blue I'd believe it.
    To me she doesn't look much like Jean at all. Marvel did a great job over the years of making Jean look consistent (with a few weird exceptions) but I don't understand what the artist was going for with this look at all. It's not the costume, it her features. Her face is way too round, her eyes are too almond shaped and her eyebrows are a cosmic force unto themselves. She also way too stocky for Jean's fine boned build. Also the costume is terrible but to me that matters less than the character underneath it.

It's one depiction so I'm not going to freak out about it but why Marvel thought this was a good look for her (or even looked like her) is beyond me.

Spectacular Member The Mary Janes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    To me she doesn't look much like Jean at all. Marvel did a great job over the years of making Jean look consistent (with a few weird exceptions) but I don't understand what the artist was going for with this look at all. It's not the costume, it her features. Her face is way too round, her eyes are too almond shaped and her eyebrows are a cosmic force unto themselves. She also way too stocky for Jean's fine boned build. Also the costume is terrible but to me that matters less than the character underneath it.

It's one depiction so I'm not going to freak out about it but why Marvel thought this was a good look for her (or even looked like her) is beyond me.
    Yeah, what the hell. The more I look at it, the less lithe she looks and more bulky instead.

BANNED

Jean's best looks are her Phoenix, New X-Men, and All New X-Men looks and X-Men Blue looks.

Don't like the new look cuz it looks like armor and I dislike headgear and shoulder pads. Keep our girl streamlined!