Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    It is not a fact. I could name several event comics that had barn burning first issues. I disagree with your notion sir.

And very little impact? You can't be serious. That has to be one of the most tone deaf and ignorant statements I have ever heard on the subject of comic books. The consequences of Infinite Crisis were still being felt throughout the multiverse all the way up to the reboot in 2011. They are still being felt today even though noone can remember the event correctly in the DCU.
    From reading so many events, I can tell you it is. And even those you claim to have been barnstoriming right out the gates often have buildup's sometimes over a year prior to the first issue... Infinite Crisis for instance was one of them.

You are mistaken it for Crisis on Infinite Earths, the first one, the one it was both trying to redo and undo. Thats the one no one save a tiny handful of people remembers clearly. And yes I will say IC had very little impact, because the immediate aftermath was completely skipped over when every book jumped a year ahead in time, and the big change Infinite Crises gave DC... a reborn multiverse, was hardly ever used by anyone.

Spectacular Member

Just finished reading this..I was initially so hyped for this story at the start of rebirth but my interest waned...BUT..that was fantastic, as others have mentioned most event first issues are brilliant so I’m literally taking this one issue at a time,,but Johns’ Veidt characterisation was really good, also glad the mystery of Rorschach was dispelled early in the issue, hopefully this will maintain its quality over the next 11 issues..great start though.

I was wondering how they were going to get 12 issues out of this story. Just have page after page of people walking to a location.

That’s not a story.

Superman has a nightmare. Not a story.

Oh look it’s nite owls costume.

Who the heck are mime and marionette. How would a new reader know them?

Even the art, why use a 9 panel grid? If you don’t show progression or transition

Anyway this left me meh. Will still read the next one tho

A solid “meh” for me but I’m sticking it out. I am so happy to see that Adrian is finally paying for the mass murder he committed, he was my least favorite Watchman character.

Also, I have never read a ton of Superman but when did his parents die with him being a teenager?? Was that some more New 52 garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I think a good comparison for me would be that if the Nu52 was like getting repeatedly run over by a truck and backed up over before the truck exploded and the remains of your corpse were fed to genetically modified carnivorous koalas and left to be digested, then Rebirth is like getting repeatedly run over by a truck but sometimes given a candy afterwords.
    Hahahahaha! Completely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    A solid “meh” for me but I’m sticking it out. I am so happy to see that Adrian is finally paying for the mass murder he committed, he was my least favorite Watchman character.

Also, I have never read a ton of Superman but when did his parents die with him being a teenager?? Was that some more New 52 garbage?
    From his inception and all of pre-Crisis, Superman's parents always were dead and gone well before he became Superman. In the Golden age they die of natural causes (don't think its really expanded on beyond that), with Jonathan providing Clark with future inspiration and the name Superman on his deathbed, and in the Silver Age their deaths in Superboy is portrayed as being from a tropical disease they caught while on a vacation to the Caribbean. But they were never around when he was an adult until his reboot in 1986. New 52 brought it back and its stuck, but it didn't start it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-22-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    From his inception and all of pre-Crisis, Superman's parents always were dead and gone well before he became Superman. The means of their death weren't consistently the same, but they were never around when he was an adult until his reboot in 1986. New 52 brought it back and its stuck, but it didn't start it.
    Interesting! I was born in 88 and read a little bit of Superman in the 90s and remembered his folks being around. Thanks for the info.

No problem. I edited my first post with a little more details.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This was excellent. Best thing I've read by Johns in a great long while. It was also weird to read a comic where his characters say things like "shit" uncensored. The writing style was very much Johns channeling Moore, but it was better than you would expect. I don't expect this to be anywhere near as good as the original Watchmen, but hope to continue enjoying it on its own merits. Let's hope Johns sticks the landing.

The lack of Superman going into this was initially bothersome, but that last scene definitely sets him up as being poised to be THE hero of this book. Can't wait to see what roles Lex, Batman and the Joker play. And hopefully Wonder Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    From his inception and all of pre-Crisis, Superman's parents always were dead and gone well before he became Superman. In the Golden age they die of natural causes (don't think its really expanded on beyond that), with Jonathan providing Clark with future inspiration and the name Superman on his deathbed, and in the Silver Age their deaths in Superboy is portrayed as being from a tropical disease they caught while on a vacation to the Caribbean. But they were never around when he was an adult until his reboot in 1986. New 52 brought it back and its stuck, but it didn't start it.
    I think they were poisoned from exposure to some strange pirate treasure Superboy gave them. Seriously.

I'm glad to see dead Kents (as...morbid as that sounds lol) and especially the way it was done. Because it means some things of the New 52 remain in the setup.The specifics of the scene are a little different (Clark took Lana to prom, not Pete) but the bulk of it is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    This was much, MUCH better than what I was expecting. Hell, much, MUCH better than it has any right to be.
    That's how I felt.

BANNED

I am not surprised that this is getting great reviews....geoff johns grew up with watchmen and it will show. Also just because it is in a coveted sandbox does not mean that every non-alan moore story set within it has to be terrible.
    Last edited by jason white reborn; 11-22-2017 at 03:52 PM.

A very strong start, great use of the post original watchmen setting and Rorschach II is a pretty intriguing character. Personally i'm guessing he's the therapist's son, given that when they go to Nite Owls lair we see presumably the therapist files on Rorschach fall out of the car. I also wouldn't be too surprised if ultimately who he is ends being an unsolved mystery, or even irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Who the heck are mime and marionette. How would a new reader know them?
    Considering they're new characters, the same way an experienced reader would.

On a side note,t his is the book Superman was reading at the end.

Astonishing Member

Loved this

I cannot wait to see the next issue

Mighty Member

Or possibly he's the Roger Jackson guy mentioned in the news clippings at the end.