BANNED

Default Action Comics#992 Spoilers and Discussion

This one was alright, might as well have been called "Booster Shot Prelude" than "Oz Effect Aftermath", even if it worked just as well as one.

Flash's treadmill is what Supes makes use of in travelling back to Krypton's destruction, and Lois gets involved in a lot, having faith Supes can prove his father wrong, covering for Clark at the Planet, and teasing him about being the "second best" reporter when he comes in to check on Jon. Some great cameos from Hal and the corps too, which is a bonus bit of hindsight given Hal will be up against Zod soon

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I know some don't, but I like how Jurgens shoe horns political things like the refugees into the issue, because it shows Superman really is a idea to strive in a world where people don't think they should come into the US.

Overall good issue and I really like this art work.Not looking forward to Brett Booth coming on, but oh well.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The tough thing is that this still hinges on Oz, and that story didn't have enough dialogue devoted to selling this as a real crisis of conscience. So the parts of Clark tied up with his inner turmoil feel like a bit much even if it's not a ton of it either. But it wasn't bad.

I really, truly wish we kept Conrad for the next story. Although hopefully it's a little more loose and humorous so I don't know how his style would fit, but he's good.

Everything about the art in this issue was fantasic. Pencils, inks, and coloring. Beautifully immersive. Story was alright, obviously a set-up issue, but the League guest stars were cool. I only wish Barry could have had a guest appearance too.

That scene where Jimmy is whispering to Lois about Perry's rampage regarding Clark's absence? I imagined how cooler that scene would have been if Jimmy still knew the secret. That was a bad thing to get rid of.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I don't say it a lot. But i found this issue excellent. The art is great. Somehow it continues to be good. Changing artists didn't affect it. What i liked the most are the small character moments.

-After Batman shows up and tells about his father whom he faced in The Button, Superman smiles and says 'Some life huh?' I love it. Bruce shares a similar experience. Two friends reflecting on the things they keep facing.

-The time Batman removes the mask, symbolically exposing his heart to reach out to his friend. I loved it.

-Batman's worry for his pal. 'You're Superman. Don't forget it.'

-Superman's weight. For once he feels its better to face a crisis. Someone who has experienced such a thing can understand. Sometimes work acts as a remedy for the troubled heart.

-Jimmy asking to Lois to send a word to Clark. Covering up for the pal at the office. Finally, a character moment for Jimmy. Long time in coming.

-Lois covers for Clark. Understanding how important it is for her troubled husband.

-I love how Lois is drawn here.

-A troubled Superman speaking about the horrors which the world faces. People jumping into the sea to save their lives. What kind of logic is that?

-Before leaving Superman tries to tell something. Explain that he has to go. He feels sorry. But Lois understand's her husband's heart. No words are needed from her husband. 'Don't be. I understand. You have to go.'

-Green Lantern appearance. Please more of this. They are people living in the same world. Sharing their lives together. The world feels bigger and more important.

-He returns to home and looks at his son sleep peacefully. Later he speaks to Lois why he is troubled. 'What does this speak about him? What does it say about Jon?'

-And Lois is right there when he needs her. 'You're the best father Jon could ever dream of'. Superdad is the world's number one Dad. Still it feels good to see it confirmed by the world's best Mom. And what's more 'You're a reporter. The second best reporter in Daily Planet.' With a confidence boosting smile she says you will track it. Oh God! When will i see Lois and Clark married somewhere else!

-There's another beautiful moment before this. Superman speaks about his doubts to Lois. 'How can i fight someone who can alter time itself?' Valid statement. He has no chance. The answer of Lois is the best just as it is simple. 'You'll find a way. You always do.' Hurray! Followed by a heartfelt kiss. Double Hurray!!

-Superman uses the cosmic treadmill! Like he actually uses the treadmill like Flash. I did not know that he could try something like this.

-Finally, Booster Gold in the last page. He is late by one second. OOPS.

Those who are giving up Action Comics after the ending of Oz Effect are missing. I enjoyed the issue a lot!
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-22-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Supes just needs to call in Jiren. The guy just ignores time with brute strength. I think the two would get along well.

Anyway, Supes may be running head long into Dr. Manhatten, unseen on his own world for some time. And not even heard of in the main multiverse.

Two beings with incredible powers. One, despite being from another planet, is probably the most human of us all. The other, lost his humanity after gaining his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Overall good issue and I really like this art work.Not looking forward to Brett Booth coming on, but oh well.
    Brett Booth is going to draw next issues? Aw, no, what a turn off...

Quote Originally Posted by fanfan13 View Post
    Brett Booth is going to draw next issues? Aw, no, what a turn off...
    My biggest gripe with the upcoming arcs.

I liked seeing Superman interacting with the wider DCU, from talking with Batman and Hal to using the Cosmic Treadmill .

Did we get a "Great Ceasar's Ghost" post-Reborn? I'm trying to remember when was the last time Perry said it.

That's such a Booster entrance at the end .

Very good issue, some high quality writing and depth of character on display here. Jurgens writing feels so ... Johns-esque here.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Brett Booth, Dan Jurgens, and Booster Gold in Superman.

So 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That scene where Jimmy is whispering to Lois about Perry's rampage regarding Clark's absence? I imagined how cooler that scene would have been if Jimmy still knew the secret. That was a bad thing to get rid of.
    I always preferred the idea that Perry really knew deep down, but played it up anyways, and that Jimmy being the inexperienced young kid had no idea. I've never liked Jimmy being anywhere near Clark's age, or knowing his secret outright without a good reason.

So this worked perfectly for me. Perry on the warpath, scaring the hell out of the rest of the Daily Planet staff to get him some damn news, well also giving Lois and Clark some breathing space because deep down he knows they need and deserve it, and if nothing else Lois will pick up the slack. She's that good of a reporter after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Very good issue, some high quality writing and depth of character on display here. Jurgens writing feels so ... Johns-esque here.
    Maybe because it wasn't Jurgens actually writing the issue?

From credits on pg. 3:
    * DAN JURGENS story
    * ROB WILLIAMS script
    * WILL CONRAD art

(When did they announce Williams would be writing the issue?)

Ah that makes sense. Its a good teaming, I liked it. Especially the interactions between characters.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.