Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows#13

Jodie Houser's first issue, and I think she did a reasonably bang-up job. A nice slice of family life book-ended by web swinging action at the front and back.

Peter and Annie train in the danger room, Logan and Peter chat a bit, then Peter takes Annie on a car ride where Annie, being a moody teen, plays with her i-pad while Peter tries to get her to come along to Parker Family Fun Day. This seems to excite Annie, but when the family get there she's in one of her moods again. Peter and MJ start trying too hard, even showering Annie with praise when she plays a game but can't quite knock a pin down to earn a prize. The Lizard suddenly attacks, and the issue ends a bit abruptly with Peter saying this was the only way Parker Family Fun Day COULD have gone.

I enjoyed the issue, the art isn't entirely to my taste, but I quite liked how chilled MJ was, Peter pacing up and down the room...and then pacing up and down the walls before somersaulting back to Earth was an awesome moment, as was MJ proclaiming that, yeah, the family are pretty cool.

Not gonna lie, I didn't care for it. The art and writing was just too cutesy for me, especially Peter's facial expressions (actually, Peter seemed to come across as somewhat of a childish oaf; hope they don't make this into another Simpsons-style sitcom story, with the father being the idiot). I wanted to give the new team the benefit of the doubt, but as a big fan of this series from day one, this was the worst issue for me by far.
    Last edited by Gnarlly; 11-22-2017 at 10:50 AM.

one think i like about this book is the good relationship between a spider character and the X-men

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

A weaker first issue than Conway's or Stegman's IMO, but I wouldn't call it bad. It was a decent issue but I do think there is room for improvement. And I gotta say the art really bothered me, I genuinely think it affected my enjoyment of the issue.

I am not a huge fan of Peter's portrayal, he was a bit too childish for my taste, even if it was intentional. But I guess we'll see how it goes on the next issues. And I agree with OP about MJ, she was just chill and supportive, a portrayal I can definitely appreciate and my favorite in this issue. The Peter/MJ moment was nice and so were the little family moments. Definitely a plus and I hope they keep this up, and from the solicits seems like they will.

I also wonder if they'll change Annies codename or if we'll see other Spider-People eventually, according to Peter there's quite a few of them (Or it's possibly just an out of universe wink LOL). And while not about this issue I am excited to see how they'll handle the Sinister Six. Peter alone is trouble for the bad guys and The Parkers would usually have the advantage in numbers, so it should be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
    one think i like about this book is the good relationship between a spider character and the X-men
    Yup, I think it's a great touch that the X-men keep appearing and weren't just filler. Hope we get more of it!
    Last edited by AmazingFantasy; 11-22-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Grammar :p

Incredible Member

Is Peter able to walk up walls with shoes on?

Not sure how I like the fast forward thing just yet, I’ll hold my judgment a few more issues

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
    Not gonna lie, I didn't care for it. The art and writing was just too cutesy for me, especially Peter's facial expressions (actually, Peter seemed to come across as somewhat of a childish oaf; hope they don't make this into another Simpsons-style sitcom story, with the father being the idiot). I wanted to give the new team the benefit of the doubt, but as a big fan of this series from day one, this was the worst issue for me by far.
    This is very much how I felt reading it too.

I cant lie I really hope this is not how every issue is going to be from now.

Fantastic Member

This was... fine.

Objectively it is a better issue than we’ve had since 10, at least Jody took the time to establish the scene a bit, but the whole issue just felt completely unnecessary. I miss Glory, her son, MJ’s assistant, Normie!
    A great cast of characters was introduced and then never used. Peter and MJ don’t seem to have changed at all in 8 years. And this arc (the final arc of the book, most likely) is going to be about a crazy carnival?

I’d give it a B for the issue itself, but the direction as a whole looks bleak

I though this was an okay and solid issue. Peter was pretty goofy in this but I've always imagined him as a goofy dad and it at least didn't make him look like he does in the main book sometimes. I'm willing to see more of what this creative team has to offer on the book.

With 616 Logan back I'm looking forward to him and Peter bouncing off each other again, like they did in this issue. Also to remind people that Wolverine used to be pretty short .

I noticed Annie's costume exposes her back which is an...interesting design choice (one I can see her mom making).

Ah, they kept the bun for MJ .

I was right make the last issue end point for me.

This was too much cliched and too much stereotyping, and too much... cutesy(for the lack of a better word).

No more Renew Your Vows for me. I had a good time.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
    Yeah, something felt off throughout the issue for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    A great cast of characters was introduced and then never used. Peter and MJ don’t seem to have changed at all in 8 years. And this arc (the final arc of the book, most likely) is going to be about a crazy carnival?k
    It's not the last arc. February kicks off a new storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    No more Renew Your Vows for me. I had a good time.
    Poor form bro. The Spider-Marriage needs all the support it can get.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-23-2017 at 02:38 AM.

I don't have any issues with a light-hearted tone in the series, but this issue was just plain bad imho. Cliched story and atrocious art (didn't like Stockman, but Roche's even worse). As much as we want this series to succeed, If sales struggled with the likes of Conway & Stegman, I don't see it lasting too long with this b-tier creative team.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's not the last arc. February kicks off a new storyline.

Poor form bro. The Spider-Marriage needs all the support it can get.
    The arc is a two parter. March will be the last issue.

I like the marriage, but it needs good stories to work. RYV has (and still has) potential, but the last three issues have been disappointing and the first few grossly overhyped, even by me, when you look past the joy of seeing the marriage back and the characters acting like themselves, you see that the book has been inconsistent and directionless pretty much from issue 3

BANNED

The arc is a two parter. March will be the last issue.
    How can you be so sure it's a two-parter? Or that March is the final issue?

I like the marriage, but it needs good stories to work. RYV has (and still has) potential, but the last three issues have been disappointing and the first few grossly overhyped, even by me, when you look past the joy of seeing the marriage back and the characters acting like themselves, you see that the book has been inconsistent and directionless pretty much from issue 3
    Oh please, let's not pull this whole "if you look past your joy at seeing the marriage back, you'll see...." crap alright? That to me just seems like you're questioning/insulting the tastes of people who enjoy the series.

Issue 10 was brilliant, as was Issue 11. I agree Issue 12 had it's problems, but despite the difficulties with pacing, I've had a great time reading this series. People are way too hard to please these days.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-23-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This was... fine.

Objectively it is a better issue than we’ve had since 10, at least Jody took the time to establish the scene a bit, but the whole issue just felt completely unnecessary. I miss Glory, her son, MJ’s assistant, Normie!
    A great cast of characters was introduced and then never used. Peter and MJ don’t seem to have changed at all in 8 years. And this arc (the final arc of the book, most likely) is going to be about a crazy carnival?

I’d give it a B for the issue itself, but the direction as a whole looks bleak
    This is what has me hung up, and while I agree this was a solid issue, I just don't get why we are even dealing with a time skip? What was wrong with the time of the first 2 arc? None of these characters seemed to have gone through any changes necessary to skip ahead by so much. I genuinely feel like this was only so Annie can get a love interest which is dumb imo..