Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Can Patty Jenkins do for other DC characters what she did for Wonder Woman?

WONDER WOMAN (the movie), directed by Patty Jenkins, is the only clear-cut success in the DCEU up to this point. People credit WONDER WOMAN's success to Jenkins, who understood the character's appeal, background mythos, and how to present Wonder Woman for today's audiences.

As we know from reading comic books, however, a writer's ability to master one character does not always translate well to other characters. Take Geoff Johns, for example: his work on the Green Lantern characters is widely acclaimed, but his work on Flash characters is a mixed bag, and nobody seems to like the way that Johns portrays Batman.

Bearing that in mind, do you feel that Patty Jenkins, if given the reins to further develop Superman, Batman, Flash, Aquaman, etc., in the DCEU, can achieve for each of these characters what she has for Wonder Woman?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

She could definitely do well for most characters. We KNOW she'd do right by Superman, as she's on record as being a fan of his as well.

I think she'd love Aquaman, since that means being able to use Mera as well, and we know she loves her powerful ladies.

I'd love to see her take on a Birds of Prey movie as well. I think she'd do great with their concept.

I'd also be interested to see her take on the Teen Titans, if we ever get such a movie.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

She'd probably do a great job on Superman - with her Wonder Woman film in mind I feel she'd be able to provide a more audience-pleasing version of the character that doesn't totally abandon the concepts and ambitions that went into the DCEU Superman.

(maybe take Whedon off Batgirl and Ayer off Sirens, and give them to her heh heh)

(on a DC director side note if James Wan ever wants to go back to his horror roots and do Swamp Thing or Hellblazer after Aquaman that would totally be fine with me)

No idea. Patty was a huge fan of Wonder Woman as a kid and the movie had the whole girl power narrative. So it was doubly important that a female director nails the first female superhero movie. Her only other notable work is Monster, so she doesn't really have a great filmography to draw conclusions from. I suppose if she legitimately loves a character, she can do him/them justice.
    Superhero shows are trash

At the risk of sounding derivative do as Marvel did. If Patty Jenkins can fulfill the role of Kevin Feige she can do it. I don't think she would wish to. Its a different job from making wonderful films in which her talent is wonderous.

A link.

http://mashable.com/2017/07/05/kevin.../#3nWSrC0LxkqJ

I won't say that this is the only way to make a cinematic universe. But this has worked marvelously. There is no secret. Everything is out in the open. Will they learn from it? I doubt that.

Often the way to succeed is to follow the trail left behind. And i think this is the path which can see films like Legion or Question happen within a decade. Who would have guessed Guardians of the Galaxy 2 grossed more in opening weekend then Justice League?

And yes she would be super for Superman. I actually want her to tackle Man of Steel 2. She has spoken about her love for Superman.

Pardon my puns. I general speak like a human being.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-22-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Definitely.
    I think she would do a great job.
    Aquaman would get my vote, also, as he has similar qualities to Wonder Woman and would give her all of Atlantis to work with.

If that did well, then she should be brought in over the rest.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

She can, because she has the competence for it. However, I do feel that a lot of WW's movie soul comes from Patty and Gal both being really invested in it. Would it be the case with other characters? I don't know. I'd be interested in seeing WB look for directors that are as good a match as Patty was for WW, though.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    WONDER WOMAN (the movie), directed by Patty Jenkins, is the only clear-cut success in the DCEU up to this point. People credit WONDER WOMAN's success to Jenkins, who understood the character's appeal, background mythos, and how to present Wonder Woman for today's audiences.

As we know from reading comic books, however, a writer's ability to master one character does not always translate well to other characters. Take Geoff Johns, for example: his work on the Green Lantern characters is widely acclaimed, but his work on Flash characters is a mixed bag, and nobody seems to like the way that Johns portrays Batman.

Bearing that in mind, do you feel that Patty Jenkins, if given the reins to further develop Superman, Batman, Flash, Aquaman, etc., in the DCEU, can achieve for each of these characters what she has for Wonder Woman?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Not really.

Nothing against Jenkins in general, but nailing a story about an amazon princess that focuses on WW1 and girl power doesn't have any real crossover with Batman, flash or green Lantern...

Aquaman, I honestly think is going to be a lost cause just from a technical point of view. Either the whole thing will be CGI or the dialogue will be questionable under the water... or all of the above. Unless it's set mostly on land then you're missing the point. I see Aquaman as being INSANELY expensive to make and a REALLY Niche audience.

I don't see anything in Jenkin's resume that screams out to me. "Perfect for Batman... or Superman or headlining the universe." I mean... with Joss Whedon I can say 'Buffy was a strong female superhero, he'd be great on Batgirl'... or 'I love his group dynamics and banter on shows like Buffy and Firefly, he'd be great on a team show like Avengers..." That doens't mean I think he'd be any good at all on a Batman show or Flash.

She may be what the DCEU needs... but one success certainly doesn't make it a sure thing.

For a Superman film, sure. I could see that working. Not sure about Aquaman though. She should do characters she's at least quite familiar with. Obviously Wonder Woman, and from her own mouth, Superman. Aquaman seems more niche. And not sure about doing a Batman, or even most of the Gotham vigilantes. By definition, those are of a darker setting then Superman and Wonder Woman settings (not that those don't have dark stories either, just that Batman and dark stories (barring Adam West) go hand in hand).

Other characters she'd be great at going by what I know of her and her work:

1.) Superman and Super-Family (since the character means so much to her)
    2.) Gotham City Sirens (her characterisation of Aileen Wuornos in Monster was terrific)
    3.) Birds of Prey (she does grounded, thrilling stuff pretty well going by her work on The Killing)

Somebody said Teen Titans. I think that would be great too, or maybe because I'd love to see her take on Donna.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Maybe she just likes WW and doesn't want to adapt DC's characters for the rest of her days like myself (I'm available DC). Or in other words just because I like Whedon's Buffy/Dollhouse/Avengers I don't like his JL.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Definitely for Superman, she's expressed a similar love for him as she had for Wonder Woman. Otherwise, I'd rather she just do what she feels she has something to say with; just because a character is similar in tone or approach to WW doesn't mean she's got a movie for them. And while one movie is way too short a sample size, that one movie was great fun and I'd be more willing to give her whichever character she wanted at this point.

Mighty Member

I think she'd do well with Superman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd rather her make some awesome Wonder Woman films, and other directors/creators develop new and exciting flicks using other characters. I don't have any interest in every single movie having the same aesthetic and feeling.

I'm very confident that Matt Reeves, for example, can make a hell of a Batman film.

BANNED

She may be able to, but I really doubt she even wants that kind of job.