Page 107 of 116 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1739
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its Clark. Everything Manhattan narrates in regards to Superman, he's talking about Kal-El/Clark Kent. These proposed adventures Manhattan mentions is after the alleged "Time Masters" event that brings Superman and the other classic heroes back to their roles, and shunts 5G off into its own world.
    What would be emotional connection if it is clark? Damian and jon are like brothers.it's not even dick. Clark has zero relationship with damian. No,dr. Manhattan has been talking about the supermen of the metaverse that includes Calvin, val zod, a guy that landed in the stoneage... Etc these guys aren't clark kent. It does happen in earth 5G.so superman of that earth might be jon kent. We don't know.

Metaverse; not Multiverse. Calvin and Val-Zod are of the Multiverse. The Metaverse is Clark's reality, and the point that Jon is making is that it always will be: there will be reboot after reboot after reboot, always bringing the Metaverse up to date with the present day and “forking” the previous continuity into a new world in the Multiverse that continues on as if whatever Crisis that caused the reboot never happened.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Have you ever known a word called "orphan"?So, no i didn't have the luxury. I had my aunt who adopted me. She is gone too.So, I find precrisis superman far more relatable.
    Taking advice from parental figure rarely, is different from clark running back to ma and pa all the time for platitudes . The frequency in which clark kent does it is borderline pathetic. Ma and pa themselves are morally perfect one note characters.i don't want that. I would rather if they exist. They take in strays and meta human kids like in the nail series. They should serve no purpose for clark.Maybe have them for some cute family moments like fluff.
    Actually, ma and pa serves to ground clark's perspective, which is why johns decided to bring them back. in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if doing so is a direct criticism to the interaction between pa and clark in "Man of Steel", when pa wondered if clark should have let his fellow classmates die out of a need for self-preservation. I certainly can't relate to that, which is why I hated that scene. oh, well...

Astonishing Member

I suppose there is the question of whether someone is meant to role with the Watchmen-Earth (A? B?) status quo; or if that’s gonna wait till after any future seasons of the tv show before the comics start tinkering again

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    This stuff was maddening to me. Happy to have Earth-1985. Otherwise I found the payoff uninspired to put it mildly. My faith that Geoff Johns could somehow rise to the occasion of a Watchmen sequel was wildly misplaced. I ought to have known. I love Johns but he's not exactly a sophisticated storyteller. I cheered this series on in spite of the delays based of the promise of answers to the questions you listed above. How very disappointing.
    I thought Johns juxtaposed Depressive Watchmen universe with the optimism of the DC Universe. You see Dr Manhattan test Superman, (like he tests that oldie actor) and then realise, DC Universe is better. But it actually interacted the Watchmen characters with the DC Universe as well. Who ever imagined Batman giving soppy advice to a Rawschac?

I thought Johns did a fair sequel to Watchmen. Like JLA/Avengers, it’s difficult to do justice to everyone from two different perspectives, and Johns seemed to give Watchmen its dignity in this.

I was majorly confused in a lot of places in issue #12, due to the myriad of references to DC legend I have no experience of. It seems Johns was seeing that the Watchmen, in a better universe like DC, could have turned out better. When that smiley face pin turned up in Batman’s cave, I was wondering how Johns was going to extricate Watchmen from the rubble it was in. I originally thought Marvels Secret Wars 2015 was the cause of this slamming together of two universes like that, as the Multiverse was destroyed, and remade, including the DC Universe, so, a re-imaging like this was an interesting exercise. But this turned out to be a moral exercise. Dr Manhattan was put into a situation where he had to look inwardly to see what the oldie actor could tell him about humanity, and then apply this to Superman, not knowing what the end result would be, (plus a lot of continuity legend). Superman carries a lot of weight, and it seems there is nothing comparable in the Watchmen universe. Superman was glowing, but the Watchmen? Were a dark, Noir approximation of classical superhero optimism.

I do like a transition, like the black panels depicting the end of Manhattans play time, and extricating from his program, like Thanos’ snap.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-19-2019 at 05:52 AM.

I don't know how I feel about it. I will probably get a trade and read it for it to make more sense for me. That is if they throw in some commentary.
    12 issues and 2+ years of the dog chasing it's tail only to find out all that needed to happen was Superman getting pummeled for Dr. Manhatten to find truth, justice and the American way only to have him pull a Beyonder (circa Secret Wars 2, without the fly suits).

Incredible Member

So sorry if it was obvious and I didn’t notice but regarding the scene with Clark Kent being superboy when he was younger saving his parents and the legion taking notice and inspired by this is it possible it has be put back in continuity that Clark Kent as superboy was also part of the legion? Or is Jon Kent the only Kent ever now to be in the legion of this earth. Trying to figure out all the continuity now put back since the Kent’s are back as well as jsa and legion

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Metaverse; not Multiverse. Calvin and Val-Zod are of the Multiverse. The Metaverse is Clark's reality, and the point that Jon is making is that it always will be: there will be reboot after reboot after reboot, always bringing the Metaverse up to date with the present day and “forking” the previous continuity into a new world in the Multiverse that continues on as if whatever Crisis that caused the reboot never happened.
    Multiverse is part of the metaverse. The first split of the metaverse is mentioned.

Incredible Member

Also random thought I’m having I’m curious with the Kent’s now being back how this will be with Superman’s identity out

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Actually, ma and pa serves to ground clark's perspective, which is why johns decided to bring them back. in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if doing so is a direct criticism to the interaction between pa and clark in "Man of Steel", when pa wondered if clark should have let his fellow classmates die out of a need for self-preservation. I certainly can't relate to that, which is why I hated that scene. oh, well...
    1)rewatch man of steel. Self-preservation is the furthest thing that pa was concerned about
    2)we aren't talking about man of steel movie. Ma and pa were dead in pricrisis history. They were dead in the original superman's origin. I don't think the current superman is better than the original. If geoff johns is trying to imply that, then he is dead wrong for me. But, i don't think he is doing that. He is just appeasing the post crisis fans. I can understand that. Because, new52 superman, golden superman, silverage superman .. Etc all became supermen by their own choice. Not because "ma and pa told me too".Dr manhattan was talking to a clark kent who was doing the right thing, even with ma and pa being dead.
    And Don't give me that. Ma and pa doesn't do any of that.He isn't peter parker. You don't humanise superman like you do peter parker. Superman is a different character. He is gifted by birth. This nonsense started since postcrisis. The original Superman's story is that of an orphan. Closest comparison would be naruto. like naruto, superman is an outcast and a freak who was alone when he started out. Who lived, feared by the people around and didn't want that. Who lied and made up an identity for acceptance . Who used his position of power to keep his activities as superman hidden.
    Another comparison would be luffy. The original Superman was meant to be an agent of change. An outlaw who worked outside the parameters of law.Who fought for the little guy. He didn't make speeches on "hope" and other things. He was called "the man of action" for a reason. Luffy doesn't make speeches either.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Okay so... the setup is this?

Originally there's only one Earth, but an event happened that made it split into two. The original continuity became Earth 2 and ran off on their own, while the changes stay at Earth 1. The same thing happens at 1985, then at 52, and now 5G
    Then at 2026 it's gonna change and separate again?

I guess it simplifies things on how we view the larger continuity, though that doesn't solve the issue of "which part is canon now" and it definitely won't solve "I'm gonna write this story so I'm gonna ignore that lore"

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Okay so... the setup is this?

Originally there's only one Earth, but an event happened that made it split into two. The original continuity became Earth 2 and ran off on their own, while the changes stay at Earth 1. The same thing happens at 1985, then at 52, and now 5G
    Then at 2026 it's gonna change and separate again?

I guess it simplifies things on how we view the larger continuity, though that doesn't solve the issue of "which part is canon now" and it definitely won't solve "I'm gonna write this story so I'm gonna ignore that lore"
    Earth 5G is what appears after 2026, I think? Springing from our current Present Earth hypothetical unchanged continuity. While we get a changed continuity as the main DCU.

EDIT: neverming, the split for G5 was in 2020. I just forgot.

Safe to say Secret Crisis is just wishful thinking/ an easter egg by Geoff Johns. However, the fact that he put that out there could probably get them talking.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    No one figures everything out on their own. Who in Clark's supporting cast can he ask about marriage and parenting? Perry White? Ron Troupe? Seems unprofessional. Batman bounces ideas off of Alfred. I don't see why Clark can't do the same with the Kents.

Also, if Jon struggles with the Superman legacy, his grandparents can tell him about Clark's struggle.
    He can learn things himself, or his supporting cast could actually be built beyond just Lois, Jimmy, his boss, and his elderly parents. They could build his connections to every day people in Metropolis (and around the world). Sure, that takes creativity but hey.

Comic Geek in General

Have they announced any new series that spins out of this yet (like the JSA, Global Guardians, Etc)?