Page 91 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1739
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

In a way, DOOMSDAY CLOCK has *already* "fixed" continuity, insofar as we now have a viable in-comic explanation for Golden Age, Silver/Bronze Age, Post-COIE, New 52, and present day Superman that (more or less) works. Moreover, the JSA is coming back in a somewhat familiar form, though that seems to be happening as much through Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE as it is DOOMSDAY CLOCK.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In a way, DOOMSDAY CLOCK has *already* "fixed" continuity, insofar as we now have a viable in-comic explanation for Golden Age, Silver/Bronze Age, Post-COIE, New 52, and present day Superman that (more or less) works. Moreover, the JSA is coming back in a somewhat familiar form, though that seems to be happening as much through Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE as it is DOOMSDAY CLOCK.

Exactly. From the information we currently have, all that's changed in regards to Doomsday Clock's role is that it's giving us the why and how of DCU history being changed, while Snyder's Metal, Justice League and whatever big Crisis event is coming are sorting out all the continuity house cleaning aspects. A couple years ago, when Snyder talked about how Johns invited him over to discuss and coordinate their respective plans, I thought that Metal was going to be the big continuity fix so Doomsday Clock could focus more on being the story that Johns wanted to tell, but it looks like I jumped the gun and Metal was simply the first chapter in that larger story.

I'm not sure explanation is the right word. "Action" in DClock 10 gave us a thorough examination of what the various histories of the main DC Earth were as regards Superman. But any explanation of why this was happening or how it was going to be "fixed" is still an unmentioned story point. It is DC telling us what the problem is with continuity. I'm not complaining, though. It's been a wild ride and even a pseudo-meta rundown like we got from Dr Manhattan gives me the impression DC knows what kind of Pandora's box they opened up starting with COIE.

This may be covered earlier in the thread. If it is forgive me. But if you read the apex lex special one shot I think we learn how lex will become human again. His mind is going to go into the joy and age

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm not sure explanation is the right word. "Action" in DClock 10 gave us a thorough examination of what the various histories of the main DC Earth were as regards Superman. But any explanation of why this was happening or how it was going to be "fixed" is still an unmentioned story point. It is DC telling us what the problem is with continuity. I'm not complaining, though. It's been a wild ride and even a pseudo-meta rundown like we got from Dr Manhattan gives me the impression DC knows what kind of Pandora's box they opened up starting with COIE.
    I appreciate that DC's approach is to tell us that it is a big mess, rather than using Marvel's approach of sweeping things under the table, forcing new status quos and declaring everything to be ok.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    This may be covered earlier in the thread. If it is forgive me. But if you read the apex lex special one shot I think we learn how lex will become human again. His mind is going to go into the joy and age
    There's a bunch of theories, but mine is that DC#12 will reveal that all of this was some sort of time bubble that will pop once the story is concluded and Dr. Manhattan's manipulations of the DCU are removed, thereby hand-waving away any inconsistencies between this story and the current comics.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    There's a bunch of theories, but mine is that DC#12 will reveal that all of this was some sort of time bubble that will pop once the story is concluded and Dr. Manhattan's manipulations of the DCU are removed, thereby hand-waving away any inconsistencies between this story and the current comics.
    If it were up to me, DOOMSDAY CLOCK would end with a splash page of the Anti-Monitor pointing his antimatter gun at Dr. Manhattan's bald blue head and intoning menacingly, "Are you feeling lucky, PUNK?!"

Last edited by Buried Alien; 09-26-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

If it were up to me, DOOMSDAY CLOCK would end with a splash page of the Anti-Monitor pointing his antimatter gun at Dr. Manhattan's bald blue head and intoning menacingly, "Are feeling lucky, PUNK?!"

Only if his partner is Jonni DC, Continuity Cop

Only if his partner is Jonni DC, Continuity Cop
    This is a necessity. Some mention or even an appearance of Jonni DC would at least keep the fankids happy for a bit.

BANNED

A Bit of a Theory to look over when it comes to Doomsday CLock and the events surrounding it... https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...piracy-theory/

I have been re-reading Doomsday Clock with one of my students recently and we just finished the Rorschach II origin issue, which I initially felt was somewhat superfluous to the overall story, but I now feel is far more central to the plot than I originally gave it credit for.

Give it a re-read.

I have been re-reading Doomsday Clock with one of my students recently and we just finished the Rorschach II origin issue, which I initially felt was somewhat superfluous to the overall story, but I now feel is far more central to the plot than I originally gave it credit for.

Give it a re-read.
    I need to collect my issues and read issues one through eleven en masse. I'm not sure what you saw in Rorschach II's origin (not that I doubt you). I originally thought "LEGACY!" but Nite Owl came to mind, so my reading will need the talents I used back in HS English. And HS English made me glad I became a math major.

Yeah, you gotta share with the class here Bored. My issues are scattered through a bunch of different boxes (because it's taken years for this story to unfold and I'm not as organized with my issues as I should be) so show us some literary analysis and break it down brother!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, you gotta share with the class here Bored. My issues are scattered through a bunch of different boxes (because it's taken years for this story to unfold and I'm not as organized with my issues as I should be) so show us some literary analysis and break it down brother!
    There's a lot to unpack here, but these are the two big takeaways for me. Remember, the reveal last issue about all the old pictures that Manhattan has been inadvertently leaving around the DCU? Guess what old photo suddenly appears at the bottom of the page? It seems Dr. Manhattan was manipulating the events of this issue as part of his plan.

There's also the repeated line and theme of 'you see what you want to see' throughout the issue, which I think is going to be a major factor in the conclusion.

Superman sees what he wants to see, that the world is worth saving, thereby creating the hopeful DCU of the Metaverse

Dr. Manhattan sees what he wants to see, that the world is a complicated one full of misery and tragedy. As a result, he tried to make the DCU reflect what he sees, the cynicism of the Watchmen's world.

Because Alan Moore saw what he wanted to see, that altered the DCU forever

This is a larger point than just the comics. We see it in the world around us everyday, particularly in the world of Trump

I would also recommend the superlative analysis of Rikdad for that issue of Doomsday Clock. He was spot on, even back before we found out what we know now