Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Readers of Doomsday Clock all SPOILERS thread

I know this may be an impossible request, but I'd like a thread just for the people who are actually reading Doomsday clock, rather than the people who hate the idea of it, but will read summaries of it so they can post about how awful it is.

This does not mean we can't critique or have issues with the story as it goes forwards, but I would like this particular debate of Doomsday Clock's merits be among people who are actually paying money for and have read each issue before going online to have a reasonable discussion about it.

This isn't really a big problem yet, but I strongly suspect it will become one more and more of an issue as new issues come out and the discussion will inevitably start to get bogged down by angry fans who read about what happened in Doomsday Clock, rather than the actual comic.

So, some basic ground rules.

You don't need to use spoiler tags here as long as that issue is available either online or in stores. Anything revealed by previews or rumor sites should absolutely still use spoiler tags though.

Sound good?

OK, I thought it was a nice tease to the main event. Johns & Frank are clearly taking this as seriously as they can, knowing full-well that they are really taking a giant risk with this. It's not like Before Watchmen, sales aside, is particularly well regarded by anyone, despite the talent behind it.

Mime & Marionette are nice additions to the Charlton-esque world of Watchmen. I'm glad Johns is not shying away from adding to the world, rather than just rehashing Moore's work. This very much feels like it's about today's world in the same way that Moore & Gibbon's story was about the mid-1980s. Nice to see Johns is not trying to soft-peddle the politics at all, with some decent swipes at both sides of the political spectrum.

Glad to see that Nite-Owl & Silk Spectre likely won't be playing any significant role here. I'd rather the focus be largely on the respective trinities of the DCU and Watchmen. Bringing back Roashach as a new person is a clever way of keeping the voice of that character around in a new way while also not negating the significance of his death.

It will be really interesting to see where they go from here. Very few comics feel this dangerous and risky. Johns is quite plainly putting his reputation on the line here. He's walking a tightrope here. If he %&*#s this up, he'll rightfully be a laughing stock to much of the industry. Maybe it's ego, but I am glad there's still creators working in corporate mainstream comics that are still willing to swing for the fences like this.

Let's hope it pays off.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Glad to see that Nite-Owl & Silk Spectre likely won't be playing any significant role here. I'd rather the focus be largely on the respective trinities of the DCU and Watchmen. Bringing back Roashach as a new person is a clever way of keeping the voice of that character around in a new way while also not negating the significance of his death.
    Watchmen Earth stole legacy from DC Earth, lol.

Am I the only one thinking the New Rorschach is Dr. Malcom Long, or has this already been stated?
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It will be really interesting to see where they go from here. Very few comics feel this dangerous and risky. Johns is quite plainly putting his reputation on the line here. He's walking a tightrope here. If he %&*#s this up, he'll rightfully be a laughing stock to much of the industry. Maybe it's ego, but I am glad there's still creators working in corporate mainstream comics that are still willing to swing for the fences like this.

Let's hope it pays off.
    The first issue was solid, and Johns captures Moore's tone surprisingly well. Johns does have a track record, however, of starting very strong only to fizzle later down the line. He can't afford such a letdown here. Win here and Johns secures his place among the all-time greats; falter here and his reputation might never recover.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

Am I the only one thinking the New Rorschach is Dr. Malcom Long, or has this already been stated?
    That's one of the leading theories for who the new Rorschach is.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The first issue was solid, and Johns captures Moore's tone surprisingly well. Johns does have a track record, however, of starting very strong only to fizzle later down the line. He can't afford such a letdown here. Win here and Johns secures his place among the all-time greats; falter here and his reputation might never recover.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I found Johns emulation of Moore a little lacking. I mean, I've seen Morrison do it, Ellis do it, a bunch of people do it.... Johns seems a little artificial. He gives the impression of being someone that never cusses in real life suddenly forcing himself to do so here, if that makes any sense.

That said, I doubt the whole book will keep this tone: my bet is that it will morph to something else entirely trough it's course.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I found Johns emulation of Moore a little lacking. I mean, I've seen Morrison do it, Ellis do it, a bunch of people do it.... Johns seems a little artificial. He gives the impression of being someone that never cusses in real life suddenly forcing himself to do so here, if that makes any sense.

That said, I doubt the whole book will keep this tone: my bet is that it will morph to something else entirely trough it's course.
    That would be my guess as well. The early Watchmen bits will be written in Moore's style, but as they come to the DCU, Johns darkly comedic writing voice will come more to forefront. Say what you will about Alan Moore, he is generally a painfully unfunny writer, with some notable exceptions ("Think clean thoughts, old chum") whereas Johns is not really given enough credit for how satirical his stuff often is. I certainly don't want Doomsday Clock to be as self-serious as Watchmen is.

I'm personally stuck on the fact that Johns made the "National News Network" anchorman William F. Buckley Jr, and made him look like a 20 something. Bill Buckley was 67 in 1992, was still hosting a PBS interview show (which he had been since 1966) and he had never anchored a news show in his life. Buckley was a magazine editor.

If he wanted to pick a right wing figure why not Rush Limbaugh? Or Bill O'Reilly who at least was hosting a tabloids "news" show in 1992.

Buckley was a pretty famous contrarian in his day who famously said he was patriotic but hated nationalism, and opened his interview program with Bach's Brandenburg Concerto.No. 2 in F Major, not some American flag waving program.

arlo252

I was confused by some of it. Are they suggesting that this Superman is some version of Dr. Manhattan?
    At first I thought Rorschach was just Nite-Owl but could he be a hero from the JSA?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's one of the leading theories for who the new Rorschach is.
    Well... I had the theory we'll never find out who he is because the REAL Rorschach will show up and drop him down an elevator shaft for stealing his identity... and face.... But yeah... That theory would also work as would all the others
    Last edited by Denirac; 11-23-2017 at 09:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by arlo252 View Post
    I was confused by some of it. Are they suggesting that this Superman is some version of Dr. Manhattan?
    At first I thought Rorschach was just Nite-Owl but could he be a hero from the JSA?
    I think....he was the one that brought superman back to life. The jesus figure(superman) being brought back by "god"

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arlo252 View Post
    That's what I was thinking also. I think we are going to see some twist like that in the story.

Well I liked it and I think it sets the stage for the next few issues. I'm looking for to the whole series.

It'd be super lame if Superman was Dr. Manhattan in any way, imo. It'd cheapen all Superman stories in Rebirth so far if it was. But I do think Manhattan was the one who gave Clark that nightmare since he's likely on Mars-0 and Clark's apparently never had one until now. If he's secretly going to be any DC character, I'd rather it be Pa instead of Clark. I mean, they are both Jonathans? And it'd be related to the dream. And maybe as a last act of kindness he could resurrect Ma so Jon can have a grandma around.

That's about all I can contribute to this, I have no idea what's going on in this story and I'm really enjoying it for that reason, lol.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

My theory is that it's the kid who hangs out beside the news stand. He's always crouched down, almost exactly the way the New Rorschach is introduced on panel.

I won't say I don't feel dirty for buying and reading this. I agree with what Rich Johnston wrote on Bleeding Cool. I believe in creators' rights and feel Moore was done dirty and as Johnston said, I feel like a hypocrite. But since it's happening I'm reading and I must say I enjoyed the Watchmen sequel aspect much more than I thought I would. I don't think the ashcan pages did the series any favors. It would have been better to reveal in those pages that we have a new Rorschach rather than allowing us to believe he'd brought the character back. I felt so much more comfortable reading the DC bits at the end though and I see a lot of promise here. I'm all in. Even if I do feel I have to wash my hands after reading each issue.

I hadn't put together the "father/son" theme that was already running through Rebirth but if this is a story of fathers and sons and hope vs. cynicism, well, this cynic is in for ride. I've loved what DC has done with Superman's father and Batman's. What I hadn't put together was that they had both tried to stop their sons from continuing in their crimefighting careers, but duh. Of course that was very obvious. And that part of DC Rebirth I have been enjoying immensely.

I'm still feeling sketchy about the Watchmen characters being present and looking forward to the moment the world of Watchmen meets up with the DCU. I think I'll feel much more comfortable when that happens.

But I have to admit that when I finished #1 and closed it and put it down I did take a moment and a breath as I said to myself, "Well, that was a damn good comic."

Then I read Action and felt the exact same way. Then Detective, ditto. What a great week for DC comic books. With D. Clock clearly leading the way.