Page 64 of 116 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It is popular and sells well because it is a Batman and Joker story. Those don't really do bad, but Death of the Family really messed up and screwed over so many ongoing Batman family titles that I really would prefer not to see all non Snyder books get wrapped up in it just for a quick sales boost for an issue or two.
    It's funny, I just sold my trade a few weeks ago. Can't stand that book.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From that cbr story:Do you really want people to remember "Death of the Family"?!?

As to operative parts being "could" and "if all goes well and the story proves popular with fans".

Not exactly a guarantee that it will be since won't "Year of the Villain" last through the end of this year?
    I was looking at it all as one big thing that leads to Snyder's big event in 2020, but sure. If you want to be skeptical whether or not it will happen, go ahead. Snyder's just being cautious in case readers aren't that enthusiastic about his Perpetua storyline and Didio changes his mind.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was looking at it all as one big thing that leads to Snyder's big event in 2020, but sure. If you want to be skeptical whether or not it will happen, go ahead. Snyder's just being cautious in case readers aren't that enthusiastic about his Perpetua storyline and Didio changes his mind.
    I am enjoying jla, but the perpetua stuff is a bit convoluted to hold my interest for an event

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I am enjoying jla, but the perpetua stuff is a bit convoluted to hold my interest for an event
    Maybe that's why Snyder was hedging his bets.

Astonishing Member

Maybe that's why Snyder was hedging his bets.
    Maybe, tbh I often find I need to re read Scott's work as I find it a bit unclear at times, I always enjoy it, but I can find he loses the narrative a little

I had to do that with metal a lot

But once I've skipped back to check things I love what I read

Maybe, tbh I often find I need to re read Scott's work as I find it a bit unclear at times, I always enjoy it, but I can find he loses the narrative a little

I had to do that with metal a lot

But once I've skipped back to check things I love what I read
    Both Snyder and Morrison get better upon re-reading, I've found.

For instance, I enjoyed Metal well enough for being good dumb fun when I first read. However, upon re-reading it with one of my ESL students, I gained a greater appreciation for what Snyder was doing in it. Yes, it's silly and stupid and overly-convoluted, but there's some real heart and insight under there as well.

Looking forward to re-reading Doomsday Clock this week. I'm very curious to see how it reads the second time without the expectation and inevitable disappointment I felt because Superman wasn't in it

BANNED

I'm trade-waiting on this one. Looks like a story that will need to be consumed in one sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'm trade-waiting on this one. Looks like a story that will need to be consumed in one sitting.
    I am three issues into my re-read and I can assure you that it absolutely reads better without the waiting between issues

Astonishing Member

Both Snyder and Morrison get better upon re-reading, I've found.

For instance, I enjoyed Metal well enough for being good dumb fun when I first read. However, upon re-reading it with one of my ESL students, I gained a greater appreciation for what Snyder was doing in it. Yes, it's silly and stupid and overly-convoluted, but there's some real heart and insight under there as well.

Looking forward to re-reading Doomsday Clock this week. I'm very curious to see how it reads the second time without the expectation and inevitable disappointment I felt because Superman wasn't in it
    Makes sense

I read all of Morrisons jla in trade and loved it

Thinking back the trades helped in that regard

Incredible Member

I am three issues into my re-read and I can assure you that it absolutely reads better without the waiting between issues
    I can confirm that, I always re-read the series a week before I get a new issuea and it reads really well (*especially* the back-up material)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I can confirm that, I always re-read the series a week before I get a new issuea and it reads really well (*especially* the back-up material)
    The last issue annoyed me somewhat

I'll give a full reread a try, concensus seems to be it helps

The last issue annoyed me somewhat

I'll give a full reread a try, concensus seems to be it helps
    I've really been enjoying it. Now that I've checked my expectations for being something else at the door, the whole thing holds up so well and the various threads definitely feel more connected than I previously thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Finally all caught up. Sitting this one out for a while left me a lot of issues to buy and binge read all at once. At least I only have to do the waiting game for three more issues.

This continues to be better than a Watchmen sequel written by Geoff Johns has a right to be. Easily the best thing he's ever written thus far, as long as he sticks the landing. It will never be as good as the original, but as long as you go in with that expectation and read it as its own thing, it's great. The initial annoyance on my part that Superman wasn't getting as much screen time as he was hyped to be, and Wonder Woman none at all, were alleviated by reading them all at once. Johns struggles with the Trinity members, but Batman has been fine (and this is the most enjoyable Joker I've read in a while), and using the other two sparingly but effectively is probably for the best.

The gathering of heroes was neat even if a lot of them were there for fanservice and with not much internal logic (WTF is the Bat-Family and their cow gonna do? Though it was at least great to see Dick as Nightwing and Barbara wearing a good costume again). And I'm hoping Diana's role isn't going to be too small after this. The fight with Black Adam she's poised to have is what I'm looking forward to most next issue. As is whatever fate awaits Wally.
    It was an enjoyable Joker wasn't it? Over the top without trying to be. That's when he's good. When you can laugh at him and also know he's a bad man at the same time. And how perfect of a match are him with Marionette and Mime?

I agree about Johns too, if the ending is good, this will make a case for some of if not his best work.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I agree about Johns too, if the ending is good, this will make a case for some of if not his best work.
    If Johns can stick the landing, this is almost certainly going to go down as his masterpiece. A Watchmen sequel by Geoff Johns has no right to be as good as Clock is. None. I'm still not sure if this story should exist at all or if it's an abomination (Watchmen in the DCU? Sounds like bad fanfic!) but if this story is a monster, it's a beautiful one.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    It was an enjoyable Joker wasn't it? Over the top without trying to be. That's when he's good. When you can laugh at him and also know he's a bad man at the same time. And how perfect of a match are him with Marionette and Mime?

The Joker should always be able to make you laugh, especially in a black humor, "I shouldn't be laughing at this because it's so horrible" kind of way. He's a villain you love to hate, and his enthusiasm is infectious and make him entertaining along the way. Him telling Manhattan to put clothes on, being delighted at Harley possibly sending people to kill him on his birthday, employing a dude named Shaky specifically to put tattoos on people with a dirty needle (I cringed and laughed when Shaky popped his head out), etc. is all great. He should be used more sparingly, and be exactly like this when he shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If Johns can stick the landing, this is almost certainly going to go down as his masterpiece. A Watchmen sequel by Geoff Johns has no right to be as good as Clock is. None. I'm still not sure if this story should exist at all or if it's an abomination (Watchmen in the DCU? Sounds like bad fanfic!) but if this story is a monster, it's a beautiful one.
    I think being damn good fanfic instead of bad is the best we could hope for.
    They pretty much publish fanfic in general anyway