Page 88 of 116 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1739
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    We've been told the reason they are both in the mainstream universe is linked to Doomsday Clock, and that there is relevancy to them both being the fathers of the major heroes.
    Yeah, both Bendis and King have been pretty insistent that Doomsday Clock will explain these two, which has likely been a little frustrating for both of them because they can't really explain further without stepping on Johns's toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, both Bendis and King have been pretty insistent that Doomsday Clock will explain these two, which has likely been a little frustrating for both of them because they can't really explain further without stepping on Johns's toes.
    I'm glad I'm not reading Superman or Batman. This sounds like an old World's Finest cover with Robin saying "Gosh! Both Batman and Superman's fathers have come back to life and are now villains!"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm glad I'm not reading Superman or Batman. This sounds like an old World's Finest cover with Robin saying "Gosh! Both Batman and Superman's fathers have come back to life and are now villains!"
    The "Long Dead Fathers Return as Quasi-Villains" subplots have been among the weakest elements of both books, so I won't be particularly sad to see both of them go back to being dead again. Bendis & King have done some really interesting stuff with both characters, but this whole daddy issues tangent hasn't really been a highlight. There was a lot of potential there, but it was largely squandered by their returns being overlong with not much payoff.

It's possible this is because they were both waiting out Doomsday Clock, but who knows. It's not like either Bendis or King are known for their brisk pacing.

Okay, I've got to read my copy of D-Clock #11.
    Man, what an issue!
    IF it turns out Saturn Girl being dusted (snapped away like Infinity War) is due to Bendis, well then he can kindly go back to Marvel ffs, sabotaging Johns and Frank's work smh.

That final page, this is it, the confrontation we've been all waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Okay, I've got to read my copy of D-Clock #11.
    Man, what an issue!
    IF it turns out Saturn Girl being dusted (snapped away like Infinity War) is due to Bendis, well then he can kindly go back to Marvel ffs, sabotaging Johns and Frank's work smh.
    I suspect the dusting of Saturn girl is symbolic of dusting all the old Legionnaire identities, for better or worse. We are, after all, getting a whole different Legion with different racial mixes, etc.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Yeah. I suspect that the ending will be something to the effect of “the Justice Society and the Legion are put back in the timeline; but they're new iterations” — just like Superman has gone through numbers iterations in the Metaverse.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Extraordinary Member

How do you feel about this review from CBR?

Doomsday Clock May Actually Be the Best Superhero Story Since Watchmen

https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-b...tory-watchmen/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

It is great, but there's still one issue to go. It could fall apart at the end.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I think it's been well written so far and definitely deserves high praise, but I also think we need to see the conclusion to see if it can match up with other classic comic stories.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think it's been well written so far and definitely deserves high praise, but I also think we need to see the conclusion to see if it can match up with other classic comic stories.
    Johns is notorious for coming up with great story ideas but not sticking the landing. Let’s hope this is different.

It's pretty undeniable that the work Johns & Frank have been putting into Doomsday Clock is amongst the best either have ever done, but it's awfully premature to decide how good a story it is without seeing the final issue.

If the final issue is just Superman giving a cliched speech to Dr. Manhattan, who has a change of heart and leaves with no satisfying resolution for Ozymandias, Rorschach, Marionette & Mime, then the story as a whole is going to be viewed as somewhat of a failure that did little more than ape the structure of Watchmen without adding much more aside from some cool meta-commentary.

Johns has a lot of balls up in the air. I'd like to see his big finale before starting any standing ovations.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It's pretty undeniable that the work Johns & Frank have been putting into Doomsday Clock is amongst the best either have ever done, but it's awfully premature to decide how good a story it is without seeing the final issue.

If the final issue is just Superman giving a cliched speech to Dr. Manhattan, who has a change of heart and leaves with no satisfying resolution for Ozymandias, Rorschach, Marionette & Mime, then the story as a whole is going to be viewed as somewhat of a failure that did little more than ape the structure of Watchmen without adding much more aside from some cool meta-commentary.

Johns has a lot of balls up in the air. I'd like to see his big finale before starting any standing ovations.
    I think next issue will be manhattan challenging superman to fix everything and prove the "clichéd" speech right. But, i do believe there will be a "clichéd" speech. I don't think it will satisfy jon. He is a man experienced the past, present and the future at the sametime.Clark's optimism will be scoffed at. He will just say "your optimism means nothing to me, less than nothing".he will then point out how the world is still in "shambles" and challenge him to "save" it before it self destruct. clark will do "something" (i don't know what. But, something memorable or great) that will atleast stop the chaos and fighting .i think, that's gist of how it's going to go.

I mean, johns was pretty adamant on calling clark "the man of action" on collision course with "ultimate man of inaction". People have this complaint that clark is not doing enough. But, i always admired the "save on life at a time" thing or " make the world small" thing of clark. At the end of the day, clark is only a man. a super"man" not a super"god". Ofcourse, there are things that are too complex for him to handle carelessly.(i forgot to take superman punch to manhattan. I think jon will seriously piss clark off by creating more obstacles.)

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think next issue will be manhattan challenging superman to fix everything and prove the "clichéd" speech right. But, i do believe there will be a "clichéd" speech. I don't think it will satisfy jon. He is a man experienced the past, present and the future at the sametime.Clark's optimism will be scoffed at. He will just say "your optimism means nothing to me, less than nothing".he will then point out how the world is still in "shambles" and challenge him to "save" it before it self destruct. clark will do "something" (i don't know what. But, something memorable or great) that will atleast stop the chaos and fighting .i think, that's gist of how it's going to go.

I mean, johns was pretty adamant on calling clark "the man of action" on collision course with "ultimate man of inaction". People have this complaint that clark is not doing enough. But, i always admired the "save on life at a time" thing or " make the world small" thing of clark. At the end of the day, clark is only a man. a super"man" not a super"god". Ofcourse, there are things that are too complex for him to handle carelessly.(i forgot to take superman punch to manhattan. I think jon will seriously piss clark off by creating more obstacles.)
    Oh, don't get me wrong. Giving hokey speeches appealing to the better parts of our nature is one of my favorite things about Superman, but it'd be a pretty big letdown if that's all the finale entailed. I think Johns is a smart enough writer to know that it can't be that simple, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what ending would wrap up all the various dangling plot threads he's got to resolve.

Granted, this is why Geoff Johns is a multi-millionaire Hollywood writer/producer and I'm not

Oh, don't get me wrong. Giving hokey speeches appealing to the better parts of our nature is one of my favorite things about Superman, but it'd be a pretty big letdown if that's all the finale entailed. I think Johns is a smart enough writer to know that it can't be that simple, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what ending would wrap up all the various dangling plot threads he's got to resolve.

Granted, this is why Geoff Johns is a multi-millionaire Hollywood writer/producer and I'm not
    Johns not only has a lot of balls in the air, but he's responsible for putting them away after he's done with them. We can assume a new Legion is coming. Hell, we would have guessed that had the new LSH book not been on the schedule. The JSA is still up in the air as we have Justice League with Barry and John not knowing who they are. And then, what will happen with Adrian and Jon?

DClock is a helluva story. But the BEST since Watchmen? I doubt it. And the ending is of the utmost importance.