Page 114 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116 LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1739
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The best thing I think they can do with the "new" multiverse is some OGNs that take place in these universes. One with the 1985 JL. One with the New 52 SM/WW. DC would clean up by pandering to everyone's favorite eras.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    I thought it was well established that the New 52 Levitz Legion (a continuation of the Johns Legion, basically) were from the Robinson Earth-2 that was deleted.
    The ones from the panels I posted aren't presented in the arc as the Legion from another Earth. You have also the words of the actual writer saying they are the main Earth's Legion:

So is your Legion of Super-Heroes a new one, or one we've seen before?

Jeff Lemire:
    No, yeah, this is very much the traditional, sort of classic Legion.

[...] So I just approached it not as a reboot or another re-imagining of the Legion. Rather, I just… as close as I can, I'm just bringing it back to what people think of as a classic Legion and not worrying too much about all the minutia of continuity.

It's very much the classic Legion.

https://www.newsarama.com/22602-the-...ic-legion.html

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    That Legion was inspired by Superman’s death against Superdoom and was deleted when he defeated Superdoom.
    Or more likely was changed the source of their inspiration.

Last pages of Morrison's last issue (AC #18) show Superman's inspiration in the future, notice the "Long live the Legion" in the 3rd panel below.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 12-20-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That's actually smarter since people are iffy on 5G already. I can see them doing that as a backup in case it flops.
    What's with DC and a few years into the future? They did it in Futures End, forget how that went, but I remember the reaction wasn't that good, especially since it ends up being a setup for Batman Beyond... Tim Drake Batman Beyond no less, that nobody asked.
    I wouldn't rely too heavily on DDC's predictions for the future: those are decided by DC as time passes; and even if the current crew at DC are on board now (which I wouldn't bet on), plans can change.

That said, it looks right now like 5G is going to happen in the fairly near future, and that Earth-5G won't. To clarify: Earth 5G is the Earth that will be spawned when the 5G era ends and is no longer the mainstream DCU; it's not an alternate Earth where 5G will happen while the mainstream DCU continues on separate from it.

In other words, Johns is predicting that 5G will be temporary, and that eventually things will circle back around. He is likely off on when that will happen; but I think that is likely (but not absolutely certain, mind you) that it will happen, sooner or later.

The problem with predicting the future is that it hasn't happened yet.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-20-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The best thing I think they can do with the "new" multiverse is some OGNs that take place in these universes. One with the 1985 JL. One with the New 52 SM/WW. DC would clean up by pandering to everyone's favorite eras.
    While I wouldn't buy an Earth-52 Superman/Wonder Woman title, I wouldn't begrudge anyone else buying it; and if it sells well, great!

And conversely: I would buy a Speed Force series set on the pre-Flashpoint (or possibly pre-IC) Earth and featuring Wally West as the Flash; and if such a book were published, I'd expect the writers to be people who understand and love that era of the DCU and that the folks at DC who don't would just stay or of the way — every bit as much as I'd expect the Earth 52 Superman/Wonder Woman book to be written by a team that understands and loves the New 52 era and that those who don't would stay out of their way.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

So it's begun already? Cool.
    But... does it already apply in the current ongoing?
    I'm guessing if JSA's back already then DDC already happened and so is the new timeline?
    Yes, We can see Kents come back in Superman Up in the sky
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Astonishing Member

I'll be shocked if DC goes 6 years with obscure replacement versions of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern and Aquaman operating simultaneously. It seems incredibly foolhardy. Maybe there'll be one or two break-out hits, but I can't see the overall initiative lasting longer than 18 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    Yes, We can see Kents come back in Superman Up in the sky
    Up in the Sky's not canon.
    Assassinate Putin!

Up in the Sky's not canon.
    It was before this issue, We say Up in the sky isnt canon because we saw kents alive in that issues, But since DDC clearly showed us kents are alive. It should be safe to say it is in canon
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 12-20-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

I'd buy the crap out of those, especially an Earth-52 SM/WW title continuing their shared adventures. Could be a complete unabashed superheroeing romp with really nothing else to worry about continuity-wise. 1985 is fascinating alone on the what-if in regards to the Bronze Age just moving along unimpeded.

If they actually have the foresight to go there with this and give different fans something they want too, I'd get it and maybe even as an extra thank you actually try 5G. I'd be that appreciative.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

It fascinates me how both this and the HBO show went into different directions completely while having many similarities in the end. At the end of the day, regardless of the quality of both, the original will always be stand alone. I respect this for trying to challenge the ideas of the original story while still giving it reverence and I respect the HBO show for feeling like a successor for how it told its story and it’s critique on superheroes, even if I disagree with it tying it with the troubling political climate of today (though that was handled great and TBF the original was political, too, but I didn’t feel it was anvilicious like the show was). Overall, both have their place, though I may prefer the HBO show a bit more in terms of consistency and the execution of storytelling.

Any thoughts on the legacy of both these continuations?
    Last edited by FBarnhill; 12-20-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I wouldn't rely too heavily on DDC's predictions for the future: those are decided by DC as time passes; and even if the current crew at DC are on board now (which I wouldn't bet on), plans can change.

That said, it looks right now like 5G is going to happen in the fairly near future, and that Earth-5G won't. To clarify: Earth 5G is the Earth that will be spawned when the 5G era ends and is no longer the mainstream DCU; it's not an alternate Earth where 5G will happen while the mainstream DCU continues on separate from it.

In other words, Johns is predicting that 5G will be temporary, and that eventually things will circle back around. He is likely off on when that will happen; but I think that is likely (but not absolutely certain, mind you) that it will happen, sooner or later.

The problem with predicting the future is that it hasn't happened yet.
    Oh, I know, but they're still doing it, they're still saying this is the future (well, Didio does, Johns just says through DDC "meh it's gonna reboot again" and I'm with him) so I'm kinda... what's the point with that kind of claim?

Oh, I know, but they're still doing it, they're still saying this is the future (well, Didio does, Johns just says through DDC "meh it's gonna reboot again" and I'm with him) so I'm kinda... what's the point with that kind of claim?
    BTW, this is another reason I like Hypertime: you can have a “preferred future” (just like Earth 0 is the “preferred Earth”>, but you're not locked into one future per Earth.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    It was before this issue, We say Up in the sky isnt canon because we saw kents alive in that issues, But since DDC clearly showed us kents are alive. It should be safe to say it is in canon
    I don't think it was ever meant to be canon. The Wal-Mart books are stand alone anthologies with no connection to the main continuity.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    It's an acknowledgement of a fundamental truth; and to the extent that DC sticks to this, I'm glad they've abandoned trying to tell is that things aren't what they are.
    I can see that, sorta. But it's troubling to me exactly on its intended footing - meta:

DC is acknowledging that in overwriting their continuity, the prior iterations still exist, even if we don't visit them. Basically, "Don't worry - that fictional setting we dumped still exists!" Do we really need to be told that?

I just don't understand how that's satisfying. The stories are real, the continuity is fiction. And the fictional explanation that discarded fiction still exists (fictionally) strikes me as entirely absurd. Monty Python level absurd. Just minus the humor.

I don't think it was ever meant to be canon. The Wal-Mart books are stand alone anthologies with no connection to the main continuity.
    I thought Walmart books are some kind of miniseries(Like Batman Universe). Have they own stories but still apply in DC main continuity.