Also, I loved the new female character and I REALLY loved the new male one. I'm referring to the ones allegedly based on Punch and Jewelee and trying not to spoil by not naming them. And there's a lot of promise here. I didn't think Johns could do as well with this world as he has in the first issue. He really surprised and impressed me.

And that's especially after my reaction to the ashcan pages which made me very nervous. Inclusion of terms like "undeplorables" are straight from the news of our last election and too much of the political talk from "Rorschach" was way too on the nose.

I almost felt like the ashcan pages were completed well before the rest of the issue (I'm surely wrong but it felt that way) and that the rest of the issue did not suffer as the first 6-7 pages did from that "ripped from OUR headlines" stuff.

Not that I'm not happy to see Trump sent up in any situation because I am. He is a fool and he is dangerous and I never miss a chance to say so, but I don't need to see our election played out so heavy-handedly in the pages of a Watchmen sequel.

Politics are right at home. OUR politics would be fine as metaphor but he used words that were actually invented in our last election and that's, as I said, too on the nose.

Happily the comic got much better after the ashcan pages.