Page 17 of 116 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Ozymandias vs Batman. And Adrian wins!! Adrian really knew the pulp origins of the heroes..
    That whole conversation really stood out for me. Adrian's critique of the DCU was exactly what I was hoping for in this series. As much as I prefer the traditional superheroics of the DCU to the deconstructed ideals of Watchmen, Moore's criticism of the superhero genre are still potent and I am glad to see it become more prominent.

When Johns said that this wouldn't come down to a fist fight between Superman and Doctor Manhattan, my interest in this story was certainly peaked much more. I want to see Superman give a real counterargument to the points brought up by Moore through Watchmen. I think Morrison's Final Crisis did an admirable job addressing them, but they were probably too opaque for enough readers to really understand what they were. I mean, I didn't even get how deep that story was until I read Rikdad's superlative analysis of it and reread the revised edition. Johns is much more of a traditional storyteller than Morrison. It will be fascinating to see how he addresses Moore's argument against superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    With respect, then why are you posting in a thread explicitly labeled "Readers of Doomsday Clock" that was created for people who actually read the comic to discuss it without having to wade through comments by people who haven't? I understand that this story is not to everyone's liking, but I would rather discuss its pros and cons with people who are basing their opinions of it upon the comic themselves, rather than online descriptions of it because they refuse to read the comic.

Please. If you want to complain about Doomsday Clock without reading it, I'm sure there's plenty of other threads for you, but this is not that thread. Thank you.
    I'm showing up from time to time to try and see if/what progress may or may not be made on any return of the JSA.

It's the one thing that still keeps me from dropping DC comics completely (other than Scooby-Doo! Team-Up).

Just finished reading #5. Johns is starting to hit it out of the park. I knew he wouldn't disappoint. Saturn Girl and Rorshach. Johnny Thunder. Alan's lamp. Here come the JSA. I hope we see all these Global Guardians listed at the end eventually. Batman vs Ozymandias. There is a lot going on. This is painful every other month but it's going to be worth it in the end. I hope to see every countries heroes that were listed down the road. Lady Flash. Hunchback. Mrs Hyde. Even the New Superman my number one DC pull and the JLC were listed. Johns has seven more issues to pull it all together and I'm betting he does and does it masterfully. A very well written well done issue. The artwork was great too. A long two months for the next one but it will be worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm showing up from time to time to try and see if/what progress may or may not be made on any return of the JSA.

It's the one thing that still keeps me from dropping DC comics completely (other than Scooby-Doo! Team-Up).
    And no one is saying you can't keep up with what's going on with Doomsday Clock, but, as I said, this thread is not meant for you. It's for people who are reading Doomsday Clock. You are not reading Doomsday Clock. You can comment all you want about Doomsday Clock in literally any other thread.

Please. I don't think this is an unreasonable request. No one is saying you have to like Doomsday Clock. No one is saying you have to read Doomsday Clock. No one is saying you have to do anything but respect the idea that this is a thread for people who want to discuss the merits and problems of the story with other people who have also read, rather than people who are basing their opinions upon incomplete information they've cobbled together online because they refuse to read it.

Again. Please. It's simple politeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    A long two months for the next one but it will be worth the wait.
    I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to handle the two month wait myself, but Johns has increased the pace to the point where there are so many balls in the air that I can deal with waiting the extra month. It also helps that there's so many other great things going on in the DCU right now between Bendis on Superman, King continuing his great run on Batman, Snyder's Justice League, Williamson's Flash War and, potentially, Morrison on Green Lantern.

Wonder Woman is the only one that DC seems to be fumbling at the moment. We'll see about the two Titans books...

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Where was Jason? Since we know a professor (probably Stein) was in his head.
    No sighting of Jason. Firestorm is still Ronnie/Professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborguy View Post
    No sighting of Jason. Firestorm is still Ronnie/Professor.
    I completely skipped the New 52 Firestorm series because it looked pretty terrible. What is the current status of Firestorm these days? Post-Brightest Day, Johns had Ronnie driving with Jason filling the Prof role, right? I thought that was a nice set-up. It's a shame that they've lost that.

I suppose Captain Atom being the Justice Leaguer who came up with the Superman Theory would be too on the nose?

I completely skipped the New 52 Firestorm series because it looked pretty terrible. What is the current status of Firestorm these days? Post-Brightest Day, Johns had Ronnie driving with Jason filling the Prof role, right? I thought that was a nice set-up. It's a shame that they've lost that.
    The Firestorm story in the Legends of Tomorrow book booted Jason from the matrix and restored the original Ronnie/Stein dynamic. Other than that, Firestorm has had a few cameos since Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborguy View Post
    The Firestorm story in the Legends of Tomorrow book booted Jason from the matrix and restored the original Ronnie/Stein dynamic. Other than that, Firestorm has had a few cameos since Rebirth.
    What happened to Jason?

With respect, then why are you posting in a thread explicitly labeled "Readers of Doomsday Clock" that was created for people who actually read the comic to discuss it without having to wade through comments by people who haven't? I understand that this story is not to everyone's liking, but I would rather discuss its pros and cons with people who are basing their opinions of it upon the comic themselves, rather than online descriptions of it because they refuse to read the comic.

Please. If you want to complain about Doomsday Clock without reading it, I'm sure there's plenty of other threads for you, but this is not that thread. Thank you.
    Edited. OP said it better.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 05-30-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Loved this issue. The wait between issues is pure torture.
    Couldn't agree more, with either statement.

I think Johns and Frank are doing their finest work. No Justice is fine but it feels pretty slight and simplistic. I didn't think it was possible to create a story involving Watchmen and DCU characters interacting and even making it feel worthwhile; Johns has threaded the needle and the result is pretty amazing.

And too the delays are driving me up a wall just as they did when... wait for it... the original Watchmen series suffered from such delays when it was hitting the shelves. Long waits between issues were discouraging then too and maddening of course but in the end all anyone will remember is how good of a story it was. So far it feels like a masterpiece.

I mean, I didn't even get how deep that story was until I read Rikdad's superlative analysis of it and reread the revised edition. Johns is much more of a traditional storyteller than Morrison. It will be fascinating to see how he addresses Moore's argument against superheroes.
    Agreed! Thanks for the reminder to be on the lookout for a Rikdad blog post about this issue of Doomsday Clock. He's done great work breaking down this series too though his Final Crisis posts were, I agree, a total revelation.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'm not reading Doomsday Clock but I am keeping tabs because this book is definitely important.

Seeing Saturn is always nice but I hate her in red

Hopefully Louise stays as KF and Caitlin dissappears forever since DC think they slick for trying to replace Ice.

I wonder who the mole is Luthor mentioned.

Are the Watchman characters from another Earth or have they always existed on the main DC Earth?

Also Johns may get hate but he really makes you feel like you're reading a DC book. Gary Frank also makes this true.

I suppose Captain Atom being the Justice Leaguer who came up with the Superman Theory would be too on the nose?
    I didn't even have a guess but Captain Atom makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping for a classic Leaguer, meaning a Satellite era member. That one line may turn out to be the bombshell of the whole issue depending on who it is. Then again it was Luthor that said it and he's a pretty unreliable narrator.