Page 108 of 116 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1739
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Disagree. It's Clark's "small town values" that makes the hero that he is. It's also what endears him to Lois the City Girl. Having Smallville in Superman's life is just as important as having Metropolis in his life.

Btw, there is a reason why small towns in America are dying. It's called "Agenda 21". It's a UN policy platform that calls for the depopulation of a lot of areas, by forcing people into the cities, for sake of sustainability and "the environment". Go look it up.
    Or, ya know, being a global champion of the oppressed might endear him to the heart of Lois Lane. Not being from rural Kansas, which is very different than it was in the 50s.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    What's disconnected from Superman is the idea you're suggesting that Clark should hate his home town. He was never like that. Smallville is a huge part of Superman's mythology and shouldn't be neglected. It gave us Pete Ross, Lana Lang, Conduit, and a bunch of other stuff, and even has an entire massive show about it that got a lot of people into the character. There's too much to mine to just disregard, and since Superman has two regular comics going all the time, there should be enough room to explore the various facets of the character's world. I'm not saying the writers will do that, but they should be able to.
    Exactly. I AM from a small town in the Midwest. My wife is not only from a small town, but her parents were, you guessed it, FARMERS! We both don't want to LIVE in those towns as adults, but we both enjoy going back home to visit family and old friends, and spend some "down time" relaxing and even introducing our children to a piece of our history. Just because we love living and working in and near a major city doesn't mean that the values and experiences we had in our small town (including those our parents who continue to share their love with us way into adulthood), aren't valuable. They truly are. I understand Geoff Johns and I understand what inspires and motivates Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Have they announced any new series that spins out of this yet (like the JSA, Global Guardians, Etc)?
    Not that I’m aware of but I hope we will hear something soon, I definitely want the JSA back because they are without a doubt my favorite team.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Have they announced any new series that spins out of this yet (like the JSA, Global Guardians, Etc)?
    Snyder will probably be writing a WW & the JSA book, he’s talked about it.

Do we know if anything happens now? Or will it just be swept under the rug because DC is Bendis' sand box now?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Snyder will probably be writing a WW & the JSA book, he’s talked about it.
    Which makes me wonder what's the point of even re-introducing the JSA into the present (relatively speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which makes me wonder what's the point of even re-introducing the JSA into the present (relatively speaking).
    I mean in the issue they reiterated that Wonder Woman was with them in WW2, so the Justice League stuff just cements that yes they are in the past and Doomsday Clock shows the present version we want back.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean in the issue they reiterated that Wonder Woman was with them in WW2, so the Justice League stuff just cements that yes they are in the past and Doomsday Clock shows the present version we want back.
    So we're officially in that new timeline?

Is that why Batgirl is wearing her classic grey and blue costume? Since the new timeline suggests that she originated/highlights in that era now?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-19-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah, the presence of Jade and Obsidian was the clincher for me on an older JSA in the present. Restoring Diana's stint with the team is a nice bonus even though I suspect the movie's use of WW1 provided the bulk of support for that. Questions will arise regarding the ages of the JSAers with characters like Sandman seen there, as well as Jade and Obsidian's mother. Stargirl and STRIPE is also a question regarding the original Seven Soldiers. Power Girl and Nuklon are nice to see, even if we don't have their story yet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Or, ya know, being a global champion of the oppressed might endear him to the heart of Lois Lane. Not being from rural Kansas, which is very different than it was in the 50s.
    I think the Kansas part of Smallville is largely irrelevant to the proceedings. It's like Metropolis being in Maryland or Delaware. Truly does not matter. The rural part matters, though. But there's rural regions everywhere. I'm here in New York, the self-proclaimed biggest deal in the world as far as making culture and art and awareness, the inspiration for the city of Metropolis ... and Gotham ... and a slew of other fake New Yorks.

But I'm looking out the window at a snowy cornfield, a parked tractor and a bunch of cows, presently. I live in a hamlet that has probably less than 100 people. Can't believe Superman is from a town that's big enough to have a SEPARATE HIGH SCHOOL and the budget for its own football team. You effing kidding me with that?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yeah, the presence of Jade and Obsidian was the clincher for me on an older JSA in the present. Restoring Diana's stint with the team is a nice bonus even though I suspect the movie's use of WW1 provided the bulk of support for that. Questions will arise regarding the ages of the JSAers with characters like Sandman seen there, as well as Jade and Obsidian's mother. Stargirl and STRIPE is also a question regarding the original Seven Soldiers. Power Girl and Nuklon are nice to see, even if we don't have their story yet.
    I'm kind of glad this story didn't feel the need to do the story hurdle logistics to figure all that crap out. If the DCU sliding-scale timeline applies to Superman it can surely apply to the JSA and they don't have to be attached to World War II anymore. But as seen in Justice League recently and every other JSA tale ever, people like not just going back to the JSA characters but also the 1940s-era comic books that they appeared in. But the timing is so off now, the concept is being stretched to its breaking point that they're World War II era vets. But does that mean that you know, in Justice League recently, John and Barry went "back in time" to save the universe but actually went to Earth-1? Ew that's a headache inducing use of hypertime and the infinite verse.

It's weird.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'm kind of glad this story didn't feel the need to do the story hurdle logistics to figure all that crap out. If the DCU sliding-scale timeline applies to Superman it can surely apply to the JSA and they don't have to be attached to World War II anymore. But as seen in Justice League recently and every other JSA tale ever, people like not just going back to the JSA characters but also the 1940s-era comic books that they appeared in. But the timing is so off now, the concept is being stretched to its breaking point that they're World War II era vets. But does that mean that you know, in Justice League recently, John and Barry went "back in time" to save the universe but actually went to Earth-1? Ew that's a headache inducing use of hypertime and the infinite verse.

It's weird.
    My take on it is that John and Barry went to Prime Earth when they met the JSA in the 1940's, and that it was our first glimpse of the post D-Clock world.
    The fact that Wonder Woman wasn't seen doesn't mean she didn't exist in their timeline yet, the same way a couple of other characters weren't seen (but were probably around elsewhere).

I am a bit anxious to learn more about the modern JSA and the presence of some of the Infinitors. This does stretch the timeline and there will need to be some explanation of when they were born, whether there was a time jump somewhere in the JSA history, so that they weren't born to 80 year old parents. But I'm sure this will be explained in due time (although probably not as quick as I'd like!)

Astonishing Member

It's weird.
    A pragmatic approach would presumably be to ape Smallville and to slot the JSA into being active in the 60’s, with which ever forgotten/basically public domain golden agers moved into the ‘Justice Battalion’ component of the All-Star Squadron?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ma and Pa Kent are great supporting characters for Superman. Their death never seemed to serve much purpose to me, but having them alive gives Clark a stronger connection to Smallville in his stories, as he has more reason to keep going back there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Having Clark ask his parents for advice allows him to appear vulnerable in a way that makes him appear more human. They're his Aunt May.
    The death of the Kents pre-COIE served the purpose of teaching Clark that no matter how powerful he was, he couldn't prevent everything, and death is a natural part of life that people have to live with. This is especially effective in the depiction of Jonathan's death in All-Star. And Clark is well adjusted enough and had good enough upbringing and happy memories with them that he can move on without them and apply their teachings all on his own. The Kents are an important and iconic part of his origin, but they are just not interesting enough to warrant sticking around. Most of the time they just give him simple, kind of cliche advise over coffee and apple pie that he really should figure out on his own. The most people can say they want is seeing Jon interact with his grandparents because it would be touching and cute. That's not that deep or important. By comparison, Aunt May is a vastly more fleshed out character and even she is long passed her sell by date and should probably just be with Ben in the afterlife now.

I don't like the mentality that Clark should be more "human." or at least the way it is frequently put into practice. It means nerfing his powers and having him have more mundane plots and relationship dynamics. He's an alien with a different biology than ours, he sees our world differently, he will never be 100% human. He's all OTT powerful, but he's also pretty weird and neurotic and had to persevere through hardships of his own in childhood which gives his stance as the most powerful and inspirational hero more weight. Loneliness (some of which is self inflicted) and how he deals with it is a major part of his character, and we can't really have that if Ma and Pa are around.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When is Barry going to get his mom back?

If Superman can have the Kents back, why can't Barry Allen have his mom back?
    Honestly, if there was any sense in the world, the Kents would remain dead and Norah's pointless death would have been undone.

What's disconnected from Superman is the idea you're suggesting that Clark should hate his home town. He was never like that. Smallville is a huge part of Superman's mythology and shouldn't be neglected. It gave us Pete Ross, Lana Lang, Conduit, and a bunch of other stuff, and even has an entire massive show about it that got a lot of people into the character. There's too much to mine to just disregard, and since Superman has two regular comics going all the time, there should be enough room to explore the various facets of the character's world. I'm not saying the writers will do that, but they should be able to.
    I'd honestly say only one of those three things is important. And Lana has spent significant portions of her publication history as a red headed, Smallville equivalent to Lois Lane. Plus she tends to end up in Metropolis a lot anyway.

Nobody really cares about Pete Ross lol. I think Dick Malverne is the one character people care about less. That isn't to say Smallville should be ignored, or that he cant visit it, but I think relegating to flashbacks of his Superboy days and the occasional adult visit is enough.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It's weird.
    There can be two answers

One, they went so far back in time that they went to the time where there's only 1 Earth, Earth-1 before the Metaverse split into having Earth-1 and 2. In Tom King's The Button, Barry managed to go back to Flashpoint, so going even further back is possible.

Two, they went back to the new history, the new timeline that Didio revealed months back, where JSA already exists on the same Earth.

Which one is it depend on when John and Barry went back in time. Does Doomsday Clock already happen?

That said, I don't know if we're already in the new timeline, or if it's a timeline only applies once we hi 5G.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-19-2019 at 12:38 PM.