Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Also, I loved the new female character and I REALLY loved the new male one. I'm referring to the ones allegedly based on Punch and Jewelee and trying not to spoil by not naming them. And there's a lot of promise here. I didn't think Johns could do as well with this world as he has in the first issue. He really surprised and impressed me.

And that's especially after my reaction to the ashcan pages which made me very nervous. Inclusion of terms like "undeplorables" are straight from the news of our last election and too much of the political talk from "Rorschach" was way too on the nose.

I almost felt like the ashcan pages were completed well before the rest of the issue (I'm surely wrong but it felt that way) and that the rest of the issue did not suffer as the first 6-7 pages did from that "ripped from OUR headlines" stuff.

Not that I'm not happy to see Trump sent up in any situation because I am. He is a fool and he is dangerous and I never miss a chance to say so, but I don't need to see our election played out so heavy-handedly in the pages of a Watchmen sequel.

Politics are right at home. OUR politics would be fine as metaphor but he used words that were actually invented in our last election and that's, as I said, too on the nose.

Happily the comic got much better after the ashcan pages.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Also, I loved the new female character and I REALLY loved the new male one. I'm referring to the ones allegedly based on Punch and Jewelee and trying not to spoil by not naming them.
    This is the spoiler thread for people who've already read the latest issue. There's nothing to spoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This is the spoiler thread for people who've already read the latest issue. There's nothing to spoil.
    Thanks. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Watchmen Earth stole legacy from DC Earth, lol.

Am I the only one thinking the New Rorschach is Dr. Malcom Long, or has this already been stated?
    Wasn't Malcolm Long Rorschach's psychiatrist in 'Watchmen'? He can't be around he's supposed to be dead. He got killed when that squid thing appeared in New York.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

BANNED

I wonder how it will end. will Manhattan kill Adrianne this time presuming hecl isn't planning to kill him by giving him the cancer or will nu roscharche somehow kill him. Adrianne coming into conflict with superman and being aided or thwarted by luthor in the endeavour seems a possibility. Wonder what would the WM u characters feel about the DC verse where superhumans abound. Anyone care to guess whether the series climax will be the mundane sort of way watchmen style with manhattan or adrianne trying to explode a clock bomb or a cosmic spectacle crisis style where the skies turn red filled with blue lightning or viceversa depending upon Manhattan's preference?

I loved this issue and can't wait to see more of The Mime and Marionette. I already want them in regular DC continuity because Punch and Jewelee are horrible names.. Lol!

I'm also curious how Nite Owl and Silk Spectre will be depicted based on their last scene in the original:

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by The Odd Man; 11-24-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The second issue of this tightrope act didn't disappoint. We're certainly still in the setup phase, but I like what I am seeing so far.

The meeting between Adrian and Luthor went about as well as could be expected I particularly enjoyed Luthor's complete contempt for Ozymandias's ridiculous scheme that ended Watchmen. I also like how Adrian has clearly lost a step now. While clearly still a super-genius capable of traversing universes, the brain tumor has left him far less than what he was in Watchmen. I don't know if that's a deliberate swipe at how pretentious and full of themselves the faux-intellectual comics ushered in by Watchmen, but it works nicely as one.

Marionette & Mime are shaping up to be really fun additions here, serving as both takes on Charlton's Punch & Jubilee, but on Harley Quinn & Joker. Again, nice to see Adrian completely underestimate the threat they pose.

The suggestion that Manhattan is pretending to be a DC hero is an interesting one, and would certainly explain the extended absence of J'Onzz J'Onzz, but I am not convinced yet. I think there's a larger game being played. Same with the sudden reappearance of the Comedian. I think it's likely a hallucination caused by Adian's brain tumor, although the shooter is obviously real.

This is pretty much an in continuity before watchmen now
    Johns is ruining Moore's work solidly here by trying his hardest to imitate Moore's style
    It would have probably been better to just have someone like azzarello write this story

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

With the hint that Doctor Manhattan may be posing as a DC superhero or villain, I'm wondering if he isn't posing as Superman. While that would necessitate some creative writing on the part of Johns to try and explain, it makes sense given that Superman is the first DC hero and his existence spawned all DC heroes that followed. There were some pretty strong Superman-centered themes throughout Doomsday Clock #2, and Superman's/Clark's first nightmare coincided with the eminent destruction of the Watchmen universe.

While I am probably way off base, and I would have decidedly mixed feelings if a revelation like that were to occur, there are definite clues leading us in that direction.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    With the hint that Doctor Manhattan may be posing as a DC superhero or villain, I'm wondering if he isn't posing as Superman. While that would necessitate some creative writing on the part of Johns to try and explain, it makes sense given that Superman is the first DC hero and his existence spawned all DC heroes that followed. There were some pretty strong Superman-centered themes throughout Doomsday Clock #2, and Superman's/Clark's first nightmare coincided with the eminent destruction of the Watchmen universe.

While I am probably way off base, and I would have decidedly mixed feelings if a revelation like that were to occur, there are definite clues leading us in that direction.
    If Dr. Manhattan is impersonating Superman, then...where is the REAL Superman?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member

I really enjoyed this issue. Johns is killing it in these first 2 issues. I would assume if Manhattan was impersonating a DC character it would be Capt Atom. We haven’t seen much of him in awhile and there powers are pretty much the same. I liked the interaction between Lex and Ozymandius. Can’t wait for the 3rd issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    If Dr. Manhattan is impersonating Superman, then...where is the REAL Superman?

Good question.

When the REBIRTH special came out 2 years ago, many of us assumed that Doctor Manhattan created the DCU and there would be some epic battle between himself and his creation. However, Doomsday Clock #2 is indicating that the DCU already existed, but that Doctor Manhattan is manipulating its events. #1 all but directly stated that Doctor Manhattan was responsible for the Kents' deaths, as an example.

But as I stated, there are STRONG hints that Doctor Manhattan is directly tied to Superman or perhaps Superman himself. Outside of the Kents' deaths:

1) The Watchmen Earth is destroyed on the same day Superman died fighting Doomsday.

2) Superman has his first nightmare coinciding with the eminent destruction of the Watchmen Earth. This is not really true, since those who have read Superman over the years know that he has had plenty of nightmares. So either Johns is ignoring that for the purposes of dramatic effect (the likely scenario), or THIS Superman (post-Rebirth) has never had a nightmare before.

3) Nite Owl's ship becomes the sanctuary for the last survivors of a planet, much like Superman's ship was.

4) Ozymandias is repeatedly stated to be the smartest man on his Earth, throughout Watchmen and so far through Doomsday Clock. He hypothesizes that Doctor Manhattan is likely posing as a costumed character on the DC Earth and seeks out Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne - not Superman - for assistance.

We haven't even touched upon the fact that Superman's son is named Jon, which may or may not be a clue (I think it's just a coincidence but it may be used to further Doomsday Clock).

The biggest thing for me is that the belief is that Doomsday Clock will lead to a battle of sorts between Doctor Manhattan and Superman. This doesn't make sense given that Doctor Manhattan is infinitely more powerful than Superman and could likely obliterate him with a thought. Establishing some type of connection between the two - that Superman is Doctor Manhattan or vice/versa or at the very least Superman is Doctor Manhattan's construct of his ideal superhero - the best qualities he himself wishes he could exhibit - could provide the ability for Superman to go toe-to-toe with Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue. Johns is killing it in these first 2 issues. I would assume if Manhattan was impersonating a DC character it would be Capt Atom. We haven’t seen much of him in awhile and there powers are pretty much the same. I liked the interaction between Lex and Ozymandius. Can’t wait for the 3rd issue.
    Captain Atom is the obvious choice, and one that would be simple and clean.

But the clues are pointing to a different direction.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Do you all think the Flash (any/all of them) will play a significant role in DOOMSDAY CLOCK?

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Do you all think the Flash (any/all of them) will play a significant role in DOOMSDAY CLOCK?

I would imagine so, given that Wally's return set off REBIRTH and the DCU connection to Watchmen. But it hasn't been made entirely clear if Doomsday Clock is the climax to the story that was set up in the REBIRTH Special or if it's merely leading to the climax. While we still have 10 issues of Doomsday Clock to go, the first two issues have been entirely set-up issues, leading me to believe we're getting at least one more story following Doomsday Clock between the DC and Watchmen universes. But since I'm not up to speed on the current news, I am unaware if Doomsday Clock has definitively been established as the climax to REBIRTH.