Page 34 of 116 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, anyone else thinking that Joker is Mime's and Marionette's son?
    I've been thinking it since Mime and Marionette were introduced and am curious how/if it will play into The Three Jokers storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I've been thinking it since Mime and Marionette were introduced and am curious how/if it will play into The Three Jokers storyline.
    Well, it would explain a few things about Joker. As well as him finding them hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, it would explain a few things about Joker. As well as him finding them hilarious.
    Whatever happens with Doomsday Clock, I hope M&M remain as inhabitants of the DCU Prime.

They've been a pleasant surprise for readers and an unpleasant surprise for characters. I really like them and want to see more of them versus Joker and Harley Quinn and of course a meeting or team-up with Punch and Jewelee.

Spectacular Member

What do you think the significance of the Lindbergh Whiskey is? Especially in this issue. A super-close-up of the bottle's red label appears in the fourth panel of page 22, Issue 7. I knew it looked familiar. In this issue, it appears between two panels of Dr. Manhattan as he says:

"I saw a vision of the most hopeful among them", "Heading toward me", "Now hopeless".

But this image/panel also first appeared in Issue #3, page 21, panel 7. This time when it appears it act at first to mimic the appears of a blood-spray, as Marionette lunges at a victim with her garrote. But the next page shows it is just a close-up of the bottle red label.

(EDIT) Hmnn...when you think of Lindbergh, Charles Lindbergh of course, you think of the kidnapping/murder of his infant son. Wonder if this will parallel anything to do with Mime & Marionette's child/children?
    Last edited by jtd; 09-30-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Spectacular Member

Further, what are your thoughts on what Batman means here? Dr. Manhattan says nothing....just stares at him and quickly whisks away. Does Batman really "know" who Dr. Manhattan is, ie. who he has been on DC earth? Which member of the Justice League, etc?

Iknowwhoyouare.JPG

I think it's just that Batman recognizes Manhattan from Rorschach's journal. He may have connected some additional dots, though, especially given the Button being found in the Batcave.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Further, what are your thoughts on what Batman means here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think that is highly likely. I suspect Ma Kent will be back when all's said and done while Pa will continue being dead to serve as Superman's Uncle Ben again
    I’d liove to see both Ma and Pa Kent back so I can read a couple of issues of Jon spending the day with his grandparents every once in a while.
    Probably sappy, but I think the Superman books would be the perfect place to tell those types of stories, without suffering too much sales attrition.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wait a minute . . . are you saying DC cares about what long-time readers want (aside from just expecting them to buy DC comic books)?

Who knew?
    I think we often forget that the people who create comic books are also long-time fans who want to make their readers happy.

Batman- You're naked and blue!
    Manhattan- I knew I should have sent them to the late show instead!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fenixrisingxl21 View Post
    I’d liove to see both Ma and Pa Kent back so I can read a couple of issues of Jon spending the day with his grandparents every once in a while.
    Probably sappy, but I think the Superman books would be the perfect place to tell those types of stories, without suffering too much sales attrition.
    You can accomplish that with just Ma. I would love to see stories of Ma Kent being adorable with her grandson. That sounds great to me.

However, keeping Pa dead preserves a very important aspect of the character for fans like myself and others. Clark needs a very powerful and painful reminder that his powers can't do everything. It's as fundamental an aspect to the character as Bruce Wayne's promise on his parents' graves to begin his war against crime. The deaths of Clark's parents were a foundational part of Superman's earliest origins in the late 1930s because the death of Jerry Seigel's father had affected him so greatly. It continued to be a significant part of the Superman mythos for the vast majority of the character's history until John Byrne decided to bring them back to life and remove any trace of tragedy, loneliness, isolation or pathos from the character in favor of his more all-American high school football star who's never suffered any significant hardships.

I don't think it's coincidence that Superman has struggled in popularity since that decision, with Batman rising in popularity due because readers can more easily relate to his humanity due to the easily understandable tragedy that defined him. The more perfect they've made Superman's life, the less interesting he's become to readers. They tried to course-correct during the New 52 reboot, but bungled it because of editorial mismanagement and the bone-headed decision to pretend that Lois Lane was never his wife, nor his soulmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You can accomplish that with just Ma. I would love to see stories of Ma Kent being adorable with her grandson. That sounds great to me.

However, keeping Pa dead preserves a very important aspect of the character for fans like myself and others. Clark needs a very powerful and painful reminder that his powers can't do everything. It's as fundamental an aspect to the character as Bruce Wayne's promise on his parents' graves to begin his war against crime. The deaths of Clark's parents were a foundational part of Superman's earliest origins in the late 1930s because the death of Jerry Seigel's father had affected him so greatly. It continued to be a significant part of the Superman mythos for the vast majority of the character's history until John Byrne decided to bring them back to life and remove any trace of tragedy, loneliness, isolation or pathos from the character in favor of his more all-American high school football star who's never suffered any significant hardships.

I don't think it's coincidence that Superman has struggled in popularity since that decision, with Batman rising in popularity due because readers can more easily relate to his humanity due to the easily understandable tragedy that defined him. The more perfect they've made Superman's life, the less interesting he's become to readers. They tried to course-correct during the New 52 reboot, but bungled it because of editorial mismanagement and the bone-headed decision to pretend that Lois Lane was never his wife, nor his soulmate.
    Interesting.
    IÂ’ve always assumed just about any death Clark witnessed (but couldnÂ’t stop) would reinforce his belief that life is incredibly precious.
    You make a great point about the loss of his father (expertly brought home with the “All those things I can do. All those powers...and I couldn’t even save him” lines from Donner’s Superman The Movie).
    IÂ’m just a sucker for happy endings, and always loved the idea that one of the things separating Clark Kent from Bruce Wayne was Clark always having his parents (post-Crisis, anyway).
    Sounds stupid, but I was really irritated when Johns killed Jonathan off in the Brainiac storyline pre-Flashpoint.
    Seemed like a pointless thing to do at the time, but I might need to go back and reread what came after.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Further, what are your thoughts on what Batman means here? Dr. Manhattan says nothing....just stares at him and quickly whisks away. Does Batman really "know" who Dr. Manhattan is, ie. who he has been on DC earth? Which member of the Justice League, etc?
    I still am stuck on whether "Watchmen" exists as a graphic novel on the DCU earth. If Bruce has actually read Watchmen, then he knows exactly who Manhattan is.

BANNED

Batman: want to see mine? I think we can settle this peacefully with a d..k measuring contest.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Batman: want to see mine? I think we can settle this peacefully with a d..k measuring contest.
    The whole bat dick thing has been building up to this moment.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics