Page 39 of 116 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The previous issues of DOOMSDAY CLOCK felt like WATCHMEN. This issue feels like DCU. I'm wondering when the series is going to feel like WATCHMEN and DCU at the same time.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The previous issues of DOOMSDAY CLOCK felt like WATCHMEN. This issue feels like DCU. I'm wondering when the series is going to feel like WATCHMEN and DCU at the same time.

Totally agreed. This issue actually got me interested somewhat in it as it has actually DCU heroes in it.

As opposed to the last 8 issues where it was Mime and puppet girl or whatever their names were.

Also a lot of wasted time in this series. Two thirds done and it's just starting to pick up now.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Totally agreed. This issue actually got me interested somewhat in it as it has actually DCU heroes in it.

As opposed to the last 8 issues where it was Mime and puppet girl or whatever their names were.

Also a lot of wasted time in this series. Two thirds done and it's just starting to pick up now.
    It still feels like the WATCHMEN and DC heroes exist in separate worlds, though ostensibly, they're all in the same story now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post

I agree

It could be the big gaps but I really feel like it's barely got going

I certainly feel the 8 books could have been done in about half that, 5 at most

Slow burn is one thing, but it feels very much like it's a limp drizzle to me now

I am very disappointed really which I didn't think would be the case

It's not bad it just most feels like preamble and hasn't got out of second gear imo

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    @MajorHoy, I know you've been avoiding the series and probably you already know what I'm about to say but there's at least one panel in this issue that I think would probably make you very, very happy.
    Unless it's the actual return of the JSA, and not just another hint that they could exist (somewhere), I don't know.
    DC / Geoff Johns have wasted wayyyyyy too much of my time with the promise (but not the delivery) that the actual JSA (not those New52 Earth 2 wannabes) would be back. I'm not sure if I even care anymore because I don't know if I trust any of DC's writers to handle them the way they should be handled.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I'm glad they got Superman's costume right. It may be a small thing but it tells me that someone is paying attention to the continuity details.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else feel like there's no direction for the overall Rebirth story? We're 2 years past the Rebirth one-shot and while we've been given a lot of disparate plot elements, there's been no semblance of a larger story.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unless it's the actual return of the JSA, and not just another hint that they could exist (somewhere), I don't know.
    DC / Geoff Johns have wasted wayyyyyy too much of my time with the promise (but not the delivery) that the actual JSA (not those New52 Earth 2 wannabes) would be back. I'm not sure if I even care anymore because I don't know if I trust any of DC's writers to handle them the way they should be handled.
    That was my experience waiting for Barry Allen to return until 2008. When he finally did, I was almost like, "Wait...WHAT?!"

Astonishing Member

So ... is Ronnie him or is Stein him?

And the biggest question of all, of course ... what the hell is Cat Grant doing in the Planet bullpen? Just visiting, one imagines.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I really enjoyed this issue compared to some of the previous meandering issues. My problem is that it read like this was the first issue of an event, not issue 8 of 12. It reminded me of Marvel's Civil War, which began when a reckless superhero battle caused massive civilian casualties. I still feel like the plot hasn't fully crystallized yet, so I'm wondering how this will all be wrapped up with so few issues left.

This was the first issue of Doomsday Clock that seriously peaked my interest and had me hungry for more when the book ended. As others have said, it’s been a slow burn and the ridiculous delays have made this seem more of a trudge. There was some great moments for Superman here but I just wish Johns hadn’t waited until issue 8 and over a year to give Supes a few good scenes in this story. Especially when he was so heavily featured in the promotion and build up to this book. I understand this will all boil down to Superman and Dr. Manhattan having a philosophical discussion about the role of superheroes in society among other things, but Clark has hardly had any page time leading up to this issue. Still it was great characterization and nicely captured Superman’s ability to instill hope in others.

Some on this thread had speculated that Martin Stein would end up being one of the perpetrators of the nefarious plot. As most of the meta humans shown to be apart of the Superman Theory were Firestorm villains. This issue all but confirms it. Ozymandias needed an inside man (very inside ) and it looks like Stein is the guy. I’ve never been a fan of Firestorm because I always felt that he was just too ridiculously powerful. He can create a nuke out of oxygen for cripes sakes and kill Superman instantly by changing the iron in his blood to kryptonite. He’s not on Manhattan’s level but he’s up there. It’s interetting to see him as a central figure in this story featuring the Watchmen characters.

It was interesting to see our real world supervillain, Putin, play a central role. I guess he has the spot occupied by Nixon in Watchmen.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-05-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    ...kill Superman instantly by changing the iron in his blood to kryptonite.
    Well, until this issue, Firestorm couldn't affect organic beings - which has to include all the various elements within an organic being, or it doesn't mean anything.

But he's still absurdly overpowered. He could turn all the air within five feet of Superman to kryptonite. In most cases he doesn't use his powers in an effective way, because if he did, most of his superfights would be over very quick. (He actually has a number of not-so-cosmic villains associated with him.)

Same with Element Lad, of course.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Spectacular Member

The biggest query is where Reggie got the information about the Justice Society?

Superman and Firestorm being missing suggests that Manhattan teleported them away, perhaps to Mars.

The kid getting yelled at outside of the daily planet was the same on the JSA variant cover. Thought that was an interesting easter egg.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

This was a powerful and moving issue. Superman was full of hope and respect, but he was no pushover, especially when he confronted Black Adam. I like the way Frank draws him now.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It's seems clear by now that the JSA was erased to allow growth of the Superman theory, and their return will be of serve to invalidate it by showing that metahumans had been around much longer.