Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

But I would really like if peoples could explain to me why they are invested in the story, what they expect out of it, that kind of things. It's not me being here to troll, it's a serious question.
    I'm enjoying this so far. And I'm invested in this story because I am hoping for a big payoff: that is, the return of the original Justice Society and maybe even the Legion of Superheroes. If this somehow brings back Impulse, that would be a fun bonus!

Two issues in, I see nothing that would foretell the return of these DC fixtures, but I'm still hopeful. In the meantime, I think Geoff Johns and Gary Frank are doing a terrific job. So far, I think Johns has been up to the task of handling the Watchmen legacy in a respectful and interesting way.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    What was the twist supposed to be? As far as I can tell that wasn't a twist at all.
    Considering Watchmen started with the murder and funeral of the Comedian - and his home world is one in where death sticks, except for Dr. Jonathan Osterman - it seemed like a twist to me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    But I would really like if peoples could explain to me why they are invested in the story, what they expect out of it, that kind of things. It's not me being here to troll, it's a serious question.
    Aside from it being well-written & drawn, I am enjoying Mime & Marionette a lot. I also think there's some nice thematic work and political commentary being done here that is fairly even-handed.

On a pure fanboy level, I absolutely adore the idea of the two conflicting philosophical values of the generally optimistic DCU and the cynical realism of Watchmen as the basis for DC's regularly scheduled continuity enema

Amazing Member

Did anyone feel that Manhattan's pants were a bit of a cop out?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffera View Post
    Given the timeframe, it made sense, although I did love Marionette playing audience surrogate for a second and calling it out

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffera View Post
    In the original comic, there was a time when Dr Manhattan played hero and acquiesced to cultural norms by wearing those black briefs.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-29-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Amazing Member

Thanks for that explanation. =)

Batman would wipe the floor with Horshack in 10 seconds.

This issue was an improvement over the first one. Johns is less preoccupied about replicating Moore’ style and more concern in telling the story in his own fashion. Also, they travel from the Watchmen world and that makes the comic feel more like a superhero comic than as a sequel to Watchmen, that I think is the right way to go, since it doesn’t work as a sequel as it’s too far away from what Watchmen is about, just as far away as the kind of writer Johns is compared to Moore, they are as diferent as two writers can be, minus obvious superficial similarities, like that they have both wrote mainstream superheroes. I won’t think too much about The Comedian twist yet, I will try to keep an open mind and see what comes out.

Gary Frank proves once again why he was the right choice. His work has enough resemblances to Gibbons’ to still be related to Watchmen, but enough differences to show that it’s a totally different product
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Well: I'm really enjoying this but came on here to voice Three Theories I had:

Dr Manhattan is Disguised as The Wizard Shazam: See the last theory.

Dr Manhattan is the New 52 Martian Manhunter:
    New 52 Manhunter was nothing like REAL Manhunter. He worked with Waller and spied on the League and didnt have the big heart of Pre 52 J'onn instead being cynical, and REAL J'onn could be in Stasis on Mars

Walter Kovacs is alive and is the Trinity of Sin's Question: A Relatively Common Theory but with Comedian back, I've thought of it a lot since reading the issue:

Trinity of Sin never answered who he was, leaving his identity abd past... A Question.
    All we know is he was very like Rorschach, had ginger hair and had his face removed, mind wiped and banished somewhere by the Shazam council IN A FLASH OF BLUE... Just like Rorschach at the end of Watchmen when Manhattan vaporised him. What if Jon is the Wizard Shazam and knowing Rorschach won at the end of Watchmen, decided to revive him, but punish him for ensuring the destruction of their world.

Quote Originally Posted by philosopop View Post
    I think Dr. Manhattan is hiding as Jon Jonzz ....

since Flashpoint, Martian Manhunter has been an absolute cypher .... there was that whole Stormwatch DOUBLE reboot with him involved...there had been 'death' in Final Crisis ... but he became Mars in DC One Million ...... he has been one of the most interesting non-presences in Rebirth ...
    Me too. Manhattan also has a thing for Mars, his real name is Jon and the two have very similar temperments. Fairly on the nose, but I could see it working. Captain Atom is more like Manhattan, in terms of powers, but he's my second choice at this point.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

So far, I most intrigued by Marionette and Mime.

I think Dr. Manhattan is going to end up being a mundane, regular average Joe type.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Well: I'm really enjoying this but came on here to voice Three Theories I had:

Dr Manhattan is Disguised as The Wizard Shazam: See the last theory.

Dr Manhattan is the New 52 Martian Manhunter:
    New 52 Manhunter was nothing like REAL Manhunter. He worked with Waller and spied on the League and didnt have the big heart of Pre 52 J'onn instead being cynical, and REAL J'onn could be in Stasis on Mars

Walter Kovacs is alive and is the Trinity of Sin's Question: A Relatively Common Theory but with Comedian back, I've thought of it a lot since reading the issue:

Trinity of Sin never answered who he was, leaving his identity abd past... A Question.
    All we know is he was very like Rorschach, had ginger hair and had his face removed, mind wiped and banished somewhere by the Shazam council IN A FLASH OF BLUE... Just like Rorschach at the end of Watchmen when Manhattan vaporised him. What if Jon is the Wizard Shazam and knowing Rorschach won at the end of Watchmen, decided to revive him, but punish him for ensuring the destruction of their world.
    Whoa your theory on Walter Kovacs being the Trinity of Sin Question sounds great.

What if, when Superman comes face to face with Manhattan, he finds that J'onn has been imprisoned (though unharmed). And the two have been chatting?

Did a review of the second issue, and do I think Doomsday Clock is essentially Geoff Johns and Gary Frank's Watchmen fan fic? Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that, so far, this series is very well written and illustrated.

Stillanerd Reviews: Doomsday Clock #2 review
    Last edited by stillanerd; 12-30-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton