Page 42 of 116 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm sort of in two minds on that.
    I've read a lot (but not all) of the 1999-2006 JSA series (which Johns didn't write for the initial arc of the series nor for the last couple of arcs) and in general that run was good.
    But after Infinite Crisis, when the series was relaunched as Justice Society of America and added a bajillion "legacy" members (some with shaky or no ties to other Golden Age members), he let things get away from him and wound up with a fuster-cluck.
    I did read the entire run, but generally had the same complaint about the Post-Infinite-Crisis run.
    Too many non-legacy characters that weren't even given any development (Ri, Red Beetle...) diluted the concept.
    Also disliked Ma Hunkel's corporate suit look (she lost all that made her charming). Cyclone was the only good "new" member that I enjoyed.

Storywise, I wouldn't have minded the Kingdom Come storyline if it had been half as long. By the time we hit a year on that interminable story, I was really only paging through each issue looking for the start of anything new.

But all that said, I'm optimistic so far that the Doomsday Clock clues indicate a history true to their golden age history and the way we remember them, not some scatter-brained revamp.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    . . . But all that said, I'm optimistic so far that the Doomsday Clock clues indicate a history true to their golden age history and the way we remember them, not some scatter-brained revamp.
    But look at what DC did with Wally West after giving him a major push in DC Universe: Rebirth. Even if Johns does return the JSA, who's to say DC won't kill them off again first chance they get?

It's not as if DC never pulled anything like that with the JSA before.
    Back in the 1990s, the JSA returned from limbo in 1992's Armageddon: Inferno, only to have their ranks decimated about two years later in Zero Hour.

Yep. That's my concern as well: as long as Johns (or someone like him) is in charge of the JSA, I have no doubt they'll be treated decently. But as soon as they get handed over to Didio, all bets are off.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

So what is the other option with the JSA...to let them languish in non-existence, because we're afraid they might not be written right? Wouldn't that be the fear for ANY character in comics? This seems kind of self-defeating.

Personally I would rather risk having the JSA brought back so I can read new stories about them before I die of old age (I've waited about 8 years now, so...). In a few more years an entire generation of younger comic readers will have come and gone without having experienced them, and then you can just start adding them to the pile of dead properties.

And yes, yes, yes I do understand the fear of past injustices done to the Society. I'll take your Zero Hour and raise you a Ragnarok. But those stories were also designed to erase the JSA. Doomsday Clock seems geared toward getting them back in action. And no, I don't want a JSA roster featuring a bunch of non-legacy heroes playing JSA in name only, but that doesn't look to be where the story is heading.

Is it safe to assume that if there is a new JSA book, johns will be the writer?

I wish. But given his full plate, I'm not so sure.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Is it safe to assume that if there is a new JSA book, johns will be the writer?
    I really have no idea how busy Johns really is, but IMO, this incarnation of the JSA is as important as the initial run in the forties and the return guesting in JLoA through the Silver and Bronze Ages. This is going to set the tone for the future scene for the book. It would be important to get this off strong and keep to the intention of the book. Earth 2 was an editorial meandering mess and never lasted long enough with one flavor to make its way. The post DClock JSA can't do that.

I don't have an idea of who could write this. Johns is setting the foundation, or at least planning the return. I think it's very possible to do all sorts of things after DClock and that story won't be setting the nature of the JSA book. If there is another writer for JSA after DClock, I sure hope they're in communication with Johns about how the team is coming back and what shape they'll be in when they get here.

The latest issue of Doomsday Clock was fascinating. And the JSA reveal is intriguing. Definitely along for the ride here but there are lots of questions still. My Total Geek Live buds and I reviewed the latest issue here. Hope you find it interesting.

My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Extraordinary Member

Okay, Johns, don't get my hopes up and then pull the rug out from under me. Don't screw this up.
    Last edited by caj; 12-20-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Okay, Johns, don't get my hopes up and then pull the rug out from under me. Don't screw this up.

By the way, we've known about that cover for a few months now . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    . . . Covers of issue 10 (Nathaniel Dusk)

Young Carver Coleman reading ALL STAR COMICS #3 with Doctor Manhattan as a member of the JSA

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Isuue 9 had slipped from the 23rd of January to the 30th. Now it has slipped a further week to February 6th.

What's interesting is Gary Frank recently tweeted to people who were criticizing him about the delays that they had no clue what is the actual reason behind those delays. Perhaps it's on the publishing side.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What's interesting is Gary Frank recently tweeted to people who were criticizing him about the delays that they had no clue what is the actual reason behind those delays. Perhaps it's on the publishing side.
    Isn't it always at this point?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Isuue 9 had slipped from the 23rd of January to the 30th. Now it has slipped a further week to February 6th.
    Kind of saw this coming when the previous issue slipped, so not really a surprise...
    (but the glacial publishing pace is still killing me!)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But look at what DC did with Wally West after giving him a major push in DC Universe: Rebirth. Even if Johns does return the JSA, who's to say DC won't kill them off again first chance they get?

It's not as if DC never pulled anything like that with the JSA before.
    Back in the 1990s, the JSA returned from limbo in 1992's Armageddon: Inferno, only to have their ranks decimated about two years later in Zero Hour.

That was an interesting situation that happened entirely by chance.

DC Comics got the license to do Archie's superheroes and a throwaway JSA mini-series was put together to give the creators something to do while preparations were made for Impact.
    The JSA mini wasn't expected to do as well as it did.

The return of the JSA was fueled by the unexpected reader response to the mini.

And then they were put to pasture because DC's editor didn't like the characters or Parobeck's art.
    This time supposedly 'permanently' by showing their deaths in-panel (a lesson someone else has learned from).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.