Page 5 of 116 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

I liked #1.

It was a very good homage/ imitation. Gary Frank is phenomenal.

#2 goes for the Shock-Reveal! and falls flat on it's @r$£. Jumping off here.

I'll gauge the audience and reconsider once the story is done.

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    I liked #1.

It was a very good homage/ imitation. Gary Frank is phenomenal.

#2 goes for the Shock-Reveal! and falls flat on it's @r$£. Jumping off here.

I'll gauge the audience and reconsider once the story is done.
    Seems like the Supermen Theory has to be a misdirect unless this is an AU DCU that the Watchmen characters are interacting with, where, for example, Aquaman and Atlantis, Wonder Woman and Themyscira, and the Green Lantern Corps either don't exist or are just cover stories for manufactured metahumans.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Seems like the Supermen Theory has to be a misdirect unless this is an AU DCU that the Watchmen characters are interacting with, where, for example, Aquaman and Atlantis, Wonder Woman and Themyscira, and the Green Lantern Corps either don't exist or are just cover stories for manufactured metahumans.
    I don't think the "Supermen Theory" (that superheroes and supervillains are largely created and run by the U.S. government) is meant to be true within the context of the story. I think it has two purposes: (a) some character or characters are propagating it to make things more difficult for superheroes and/or the U.S. government; and (b) to raise the question for the readers of why so many metahumans on DC Earth are, or originated in, the U.S. The story may provide an answer for the latter question, but I don't think it will be deliberate government interference.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I don't think the "Supermen Theory" (that superheroes and supervillains are largely created and run by the U.S. government) is meant to be true within the context of the story. I think it has two purposes: (a) some character or characters are propagating it to make things more difficult for superheroes and/or the U.S. government; and (b) to raise the question for the readers of why so many metahumans on DC Earth are, or originated in, the U.S. The story may provide an answer for the latter question, but I don't think it will be deliberate government interference.
    It still seems like a strange theory for so many people to take seriously in a world where there are diplomatic relations and occasional wars with Atlantis, etc.... kind of on a par with Flat Earth folks IRL.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It still seems like a strange theory for so many people to take seriously in a world where there are diplomatic relations and occasional wars with Atlantis, etc.... kind of on a par with Flat Earth folks IRL.
    If 2017 has taught us anything it's that there will always be about 30% of the population who are willing to believe complete nonsense, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If 2017 has taught us anything it's that there will always be about 30% of the population who are willing to believe complete nonsense, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.
    Sure, but the impression I got from the issue was that it was more like 70-90% of the DCU population buying into it.

And I don't think Flat Earthers, or even Moon Landing Hoaxers, make up even 30%. That's more a hard core partisan affiliation thing than the number that will believe absolutely any nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Most of the readership on another Earth are U.S. born, that's why

Even if D.C. did an amazing job with New-Superman and makes me think that they could create mini-series for heroes in other parts of the world.

So....spoilers:
    If Mime and Marionette are looking for their missing kid in the DCU and it was 1992 on their Earth and there is a time descrepency , a difference of 26 years...Is this the possible origin of one of the Jokers? Like maybe the New 52 one I'm thinking?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Midnighter; 12-31-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Midnighter...

That thought had crossed my mind. Guess it will be interesting to see.

So: The Comedian....

I have a theory: Jon either resurrected or cloned him in order to keep Veidt busy and out his way while Jon continues to work on his plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    So....spoilers:
    If Mime and Marionette are looking for their missing kid in the DCU and it was 1992 on their Earth and there is a time descrepency , a difference of 26 years...Is this the possible origin of one of the Jokers? Like maybe the New 52 one I'm thinking?
    end of spoilers
    This is the spoiler thread. You don't need spoiler tags here unless it's information that has leaked earlier, which this is not.

Sure, but the impression I got from the issue was that it was more like 70-90% of the DCU population buying into it.

And I don't think Flat Earthers, or even Moon Landing Hoaxers, make up even 30%. That's more a hard core partisan affiliation thing than the number that will believe absolutely any nonsense.
    That may be the impression you got, but that's not what the story states from what I read. All I got from the issue itself was that enough people believe it to be willing to violently protest over it. We see Neo-Nazis and AntiFa doing that on a regular basis and I don't think they represent even 30% of the American population.

Given the context of the story, I could certainly see enough disgruntled people in the DCU getting really upset over a conspiracy theory, true or not, that tells them that a lot of the costumed freaks that have been regularly tearing up their cities for years have been secretly created or funded by the US Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    So: The Comedian....

I have a theory: Jon either resurrected or cloned him in order to keep Veidt busy and out his way while Jon continues to work on his plan.
    That would certainly work, or a certain Martian shape-shifter whose absence has been very conspicuous or Adrian's brain tumor acting up. There's a lot of possibilities, but I think the chances of Johns actually resurrecting The Comedian are pretty low, given how carefully he's been navigating the Watchmen characters. I would guess this is a fake-out to troll fans already upset at the very idea of a Watchmen sequel than an actual return of the Comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That would certainly work, or a certain Martian shape-shifter whose absence has been very conspicuous or Adrian's brain tumor acting up. There's a lot of possibilities, but I think the chances of Johns actually resurrecting The Comedian are pretty low, given how carefully he's been navigating the Watchmen characters. I would guess this is a fake-out to troll fans already upset at the very idea of a Watchmen sequel than an actual return of the Comedian.
    I hope your right, but dont think you are. I could see Jon keeping J'onn locked away on Mars and discussing this Universe with him.
    The Comedian, I do think is alive- However I'm not sure if it'll stick. Especially when he's wearing an unstained version of the Button. Maybe he gets killed again by Veidt and Luthor.

The One Person I fully expect to return at some point is Walter Kovacs. Just based off the amount of mentions he's had along with Dan and Laurie who were all but confirmed by Johns- Who didnt state we would see them but at the very least learn more regarding them... although he said both Old and New Characters from that Universe will appear

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Looks like time away has helped Johns. This doesn't seem like a Johns book at all!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.