Page 59 of 116 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I did enjoy this issue, I'm still quite annoyed that Clark is being held back so much, I wish Lois could have done some more investigating of her own and not been handed info by Lex, hopefully they stop being so vauge about things next issue. I'd have wanted the revelations to come quicker in this series, because now it may just lead to large amounts of info dumping that don't feel earned.

Spectacular Member MikefromGotham's Avatar

During the first couple of pages showing the ships all flying to Mars was a panel that simply had the word "Crisis" on a white background.

Spectacular Member MikefromGotham's Avatar

With the content being so dense in most issues, having 3 left should provide us ample screen time for Superman and Dr.M to face off, etc.

I'm expecting a big dramatic comeback from big blue. I hope he wakes up pissed off.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    Have you noticed in all of Geoff Johns events Superman is sidelined? I started reading comics with the New 52, Although that was almost 10 years ago, I still feel like a newb. But from what I remember, we had; Trinity War, where Superman was out of action because Atomica put the Kryptonite in his brain. Then Forever Evil, where Superman and most of the other heroes were trapped in the Firestorm Matrix. Darkseid War, where superman became that angry violent god of strength. Is there any other I'm forgetting?
    Sidelining Superman is a bit of a tired trope beyond Johns. Back in the first season of the Justice League cartoon, they'd almost always have Superman get taken out first to show how tough the baddie was, but all it ended up doing was making Superman seem ineffectual. Granted, even after they course corrected, that show still couldn't figure out how to give Supes his due. The makers of the show were generally Batman fans trying to give Superman something to do most of the time.

Johns is very much a fan of Superman, but hasn't managed to managed to make him the heart of this story...yet.

One thing I know, if Lex Luthor hands me a gun I would not trust that gun.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

From what I recall, these are the many dangling subplots left for Doomsday Clock to wrap up in the next 3 issues

Why did Manhattan resurrect The Comedian?

What's the significance of Marionette & Mime to Ozymandias's plan?

Why did Adrian engineer the creation of a new Roashach's origin about and what was the significance of his time with Mothman?

Why was the Nathaniel Dusk actor murdered?

Why did Dr. Manhattan prevent the creation of the JSA in the first place?

Is the Superman Theory related to Dr. Manhattan plotline or, as was alluded to in this issue, is there no Big Bad, but this whole mess is the result of everyone being terrible?

Anything I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    From what I recall, these are the many dangling subplots left for Doomsday Clock to wrap up in the next 3 issues

Why did Adrian engineer the creation of a new Roashach's origin about and what was the significance of his time with Mothman?

Is the Superman Theory related to Dr. Manhattan plotline or, as was alluded to in this issue, is there no Big Bad, but this whole mess is the result of everyone being terrible?

Anything I missed?
    It's connected to the Mime & Marionette subplot, but there's also the question of who is their kid and why are they so important?

Anything I missed?
    This is a loooooong shot. But at the end of Darkseid War, when Metron and Owlman saw Dr. Manhattan before he killed them, they said: "Oh no! Its Him!" Which means they must have new of him somehow. Will we ever get an explanation of that? Same with when Pandora saw him, she knew him well enough to explain his characteristics. At this point I doubt DDC will answer those, but I 'd love to see Geoff address it in an interview or AMA one day. Unless he did already and I missed it?

goldenknight2018

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    It's connected to the Mime & Marionette subplot, but there's also the question of who is their kid and why are they so important?
    someone says
    Mime & Marionette's child is Shazam and also says that this is Shazam story I don't know where they get an idea come from, this is just crazy theories, I don't believe that until I see it. Mime & Marionette are killers

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Anything I missed?
    For the Superman Theory, I’m betting it’s a mix of both Dr M and everyone being terrible.

Extraordinary Member

Bored...forgive me if this is off topic....

Does Lex know Superman is Clark Kent?

If Lex knows about Wally, then does he know about Barry Allen?

Outside of Batman (and his sidekicks), how many superhero secret identities is Lex privy to?

This is as scary as Black Adam ruling a nation with an army of metahumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Bored...forgive me if this is off topic....

Does Lex know Superman is Clark Kent?

If Lex knows about Wally, then does he know about Barry Allen?

Outside of Batman (and his sidekicks), how many superhero secret identities is Lex privy to?

This is as scary as Black Adam ruling a nation with an army of metahumans.
    I was surprised at Alfred knowing Supes' secret identity. But I suppose if timestreams are going to be readjusted, who knows what doesn't matter now.

Some of these have been answered as much as we can expect I think.

To stop Ozymandias and get the cat. Not sure there is any more to it than that.

He assumed that Jon spared her as an act of humanity, like Lori reminded him in the original Watchmen, and since Laurie wouldn't or couldn't come, that was their backup plan. Didn't work because Manhattan saw that the child they would conceive in the DCU does something important later on.

I exepect we will see answers to these two in #10. Definitely the JSA one and if there is a connection to the Superman Theory, I'd expect that to play out there as well

These might come up, though I can see the Dusk thing being the Pirate Comic of Doomsday Clock.

Anything I missed?
    Saturn Girl and Johnny Thunder's roles are still up in the air. There's the big hint that Johnny Thunder had something or at least thinks he had something to do with the JSA vanishing and Thunderbolt's absence.

Astonishing Member

At first I didn't but now I kind of like the choices of the Supermen Theory control experiments being like, Metamorpho and Man-Bat and such. They're both pretty easy explains, actually - like their origins don't have to be tinkered with at all to imply that some conspiratorial hijinx in the DMA might've had a hand in the research. In the case of Simon Stagg it's frankly just incredibly likely based on his already sketchy reputation and corporate/high stakes research projects. Rex's integration with the Orb of Ra isn't the part you have to tweak - it's just the "why did they hire Rex in the first place?" question. Ditto to Man-Bat - somebody could've just seen Kirk's propensity in research he was already working on and provided some government assistance or something to ensure that it happens - plus it's all experimental so they want to see the results, which they don't exactly know. Another key thing with the choices that I really liked though is that cleverly, or accurately, or canonically or whatever - these are all characters whose debuts do indeed predate Firestorm by a little bit.

What else? I like the sort of meta-narrative of the magicians of the DCU expecting Manhattan not to understand the arcane jazz they're throwing at him, but Manhattan's ability to tinker with the fabric of the universe means that if he's in this universe ... he can tinker with that, too. And I liked the ... pointed direction in which they started peppering in the Charlton characters finally - in this big group scene that might conceal their importance here ... or else use their importance itself as somewhat of a red herring. It was a big deal that Captain Atom can overload Manhattan ... but perhaps a bigger deal that Manhattan can just reconstitute, pretty much momentarily. You know, whenever Cap explodes he ends up dimension-hopping and occasionally time-traveling as a result. Whether they're essentially the same guy or not, Manhattan is light-years beyond our prime Atom.

There's a bunch of other stuff I liked. The selection of costumes - even Batgirl using her more armory N52 version. The rando new characters ... who is that starfish-arm guy Flash brought? Who the heck is Blue Devil's lady devil girlfriend?

Anyway a lot of it really does come back to the red herring-ness of it all. We get an issue titled "CRISIS" where pretty much the whole of the Rebirth-era A-Listers all rocket to Mars to fight a cosmic menace ... the strangeness of the conflict takes up the whole issue ... but like ... that skirmish answers no questions (other than that Power Rings are still really powerful and that The Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Nightshade and Peacemaker are probably somehow a bit relevant). It doesn't really progress the story - the conflict actually kind of HALTS the story. It's a misdirect.

Whatever the crap is going on with Ozymandias ... and perhaps Luthor proving to be if not "smarter" ... well, more cunning and devious ... and Batman figuring out JLA-level conspiracies and Superman and Lois and such ... that's the story. Adam capitalizing in a crisis isn't new and probably Wonder Woman can handle it - but more than that, Wonder Woman's inclusion and Black Adam's ruminations, despondency and cynicism are like ... DIRECT LINES back to the need for the JSA to return.

Am I missing anything else? Oh right ... is or is not Martin Stein Doctor Manhattan? Or the just tremendous importance of the way that Firestorm and Captain Atom have now been included. And obviously all the dangling threads - Carver Colman, Joker, Mime, Marionette, etc ... or even some of the relevant jazz from the thankfully scant "Road to Doomsday Clock" lead-in type stories - the deal with the Button and Professor Zoom, the deal with Jor-El, and the deal with Owlman, Grid and Metron, Mobius, and the fallout from Darkseid War.

And of course ... Wally freakin West.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com