Page 8 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

the mime and the marionette>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all

I love them!!

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Was it ever explained when this is supposed to take place? Is it after Rebirth or during? Some of it such as the yellow oval on Batman's chest and the backlash against him don't seem to line up with what's currently going on.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Was it ever explained when this is supposed to take place? Is it after Rebirth or during? Some of it such as the yellow oval on Batman's chest and the backlash against him don't seem to line up with what's currently going on.
    Yeah...isn't that the Batman, Inc. costume that Batman is wearing?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I think Johns said Doomsday Clock takes place 1 year into the future, so that when it wrapped then all other books would be caught up time-wise.

Of course, since they botched the whole thing and will take much longer to come out, who knows how it will line up.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yeah...isn't that the Batman, Inc. costume that Batman is wearing?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The only other clue we've really got timeline wise is that at the end of the first issue when Superman wakes up from his nightmare, it looks like him and Lois are living in Metropolis, so I think it has to be at least post the Superman Reborn story(I believe they moved back to the city after that, can't remember 100%)

Doomsday Clock is taking place "one year later" (heh) from the current DCU events
    Also, it is quite simple to deduce what had caused the public backlash against Batman and metahumans in general
    -The current events happening over in Detective Comics, and Priest's JL. Both involve Gotham/World's general populace condemning the heroes latest iniciatives/actions
    -Lex Luthor becoming evil again (sigh)
    -Whatever happens with Metamorhpo, which we may see in The Terrifics

Now, on the Comic Itself
    Last Issue's cliffhanger was unexpected, over how random and unnecesary it was (or at least what it seemed like at the time). Now I changed my opinion, as it was pretty darn good ! The fight itself, and both The Comedian/Veidt interaction were stupend. I am now eager to know where is this going, and Dr's motive to bring back The Comedian

And the whole Mime&Marionette part? It was SU-BLI-ME
    I loved Everything about it ! The characterizations, the pacing, the art, all of it !
    Frank's art in this scene was top-notch, and whatever else I can say will not do it enough justice.. simply masterful !
    Marionette's movements during the fight, were exquisite
    And Mime pulling Guns and Knifes "out of nowhere" was really good, and a good callback to issue 1
    Now that they will go meet the Joker, I am anxious over what could happen next.
    MimexMarionette = Perfection !

Also, I felt really bad for Thunder Poor man, I hope he manages to bring back the JSA at the end
    And that last part with Batman..I dont get why he did that to Rorscharch.. that was cold af, even for him

Overall, this issue was a great step-up from the last, and I greatly enjoyed it !
    Johns is in his Top game now, and this have the potential to be his best book ever ! Keep it going !
    and I can now see why he said Frank was the only artist he could pull this with
    Great team, with great results ! 10/10
    Last edited by TheMaker1610; 01-24-2018 at 12:53 PM.

DC and "One Year Later: The Sequel"?!?

Fantastic Member

I'm reading this one repeatedly; lots to mull over. The characters onstage are largely acting in character, so the biggest mystery for me is: Why is this Carver Coleman story, decades in the past, getting so much screen time? I think when we see why this subplot matters as much as it does, a lot more will come into focus.

Mighty Member

Well, Watchman had quite a few narrative digressions that added to the themes, but not to the main story. I imagine Carver Coleman is in that vein.

Amazing Member

Just a couple of random thoughts:

• I guess Johns is reusing the Hourman "picked right before his death" plot from his JSA run, so probably before the series is finished the Comedian will be restored to where and when he was taken from... or else he is a complete recreation of the original.
    • The Arkham Asylum bit seems to be forced, I think, to have Rorscharch II met the time lost character introduced in Rebirth, Saturn Girl, representing DC's future (while J. Thunder representing its past). Not the best idea to lock up a lunatic that broke into the batcave and knows the secret just like that.
    • The Nathaniel Dusk b&w movie bits seem to be echoing the pirate comic from Watchmen, and the behind the scenes of each of them are also mirrors (Max Shea's dissapearence and Coleman's murder being hints of something bigger). The backup adds some bit about a room full of clocks.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, Coleman's head being smashed using an award echoes Nite-Owl I's death.
    Last edited by Eduardo; 01-24-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    The stand up comedian in the club getting bottled looks like British comedian Stewart Lee.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCBhKs4faI

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Is Batman really Dr Manhattan? Is that why he locked him up?

Fantastic Member

The Coleman plot already mirrors the main plot: A man who aims at one victim hits another; that happened, at the very least, with Comedian accidentally (?) shooting Luthor. But that can't be all there is to it. We also have a link to Wildcat who is linked to Johnny Thunder. Liberty Belle was married to Coleman's screenwriter. It looks like this 1954 subplot intersects with our Justice Society subplot.

Batman is not Dr. Manhattan. Johns has said in an interview that Batman's moment of doubt after meeting with the Flashpoint version of his father in "The Button" was a deliberate act by Dr. Manhattan to try to take Batman off the playing field.
    Last edited by Rikdad; 01-24-2018 at 02:43 PM.

So how come the events of Watchmen still happened the way they did if The Comedian never died? That was kind of the catalyst for the whole thing. Maybe Doc created another Comedian body that hit the pavement, while teleporting the real Blake to the water?
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.

I was really hoping to see a little Thunder...