Page 83 of 116 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1739
    Fantastic Member

So even more evidence that the internal power struggle has ruined what this book was supposed to be; it's been twisted to serve Bendis, Snyder, and King. What a waste, because it's still far better than all of the crap they're putting to print right now.

Warner will never replace those who need replaced, and DC will never learn the lessons it needs to. It's a shame.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    So even more evidence that the internal power struggle has ruined what this book was supposed to be; it's been twisted to serve Bendis, Snyder, and King. What a waste, because it's still far better than all of the crap they're putting to print right now.

Warner will never replace those who need replaced, and DC will never learn the lessons it needs to. It's a shame.
    Again, it's PURELY speculation that anything was changed or rewritten to serve anyone else's goals or projects.

And even if it were true, Doomsday Clock has taken about 2 years longer to complete than it should have. You can't expect DC to wait forever for Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Again, it's PURELY speculation that anything was changed or rewritten to serve anyone else's goals or projects.

And even if it were true, Doomsday Clock has taken about 2 years longer to complete than it should have. You can't expect DC to wait forever for Johns.
    DC spent a decade doing nothing with JSA and Legion. They couldn't wait a couple of years until the book finish?

I do agree with you though that it's all speculation and we have no idea what it's actually going behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by JonaX View Post
    CBR has posted an article about Veidt's plan and why is may not succeed:https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-o...tor-manhattan/

It's interesting that Imra was erased but not the Legion ring itself, that has to be significant that the Metaverse isn't going to be destroyed by Manhattan.
    Imra's ring stayed while she disappeared while Ferro Lad's ring vanished and his blood drop remained. In the words of Arte Johnson, "Varrrry Eeenteresting..."

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    DC spent a decade doing nothing with JSA and Legion. They couldn't wait a couple of years until the book finish?

I do agree with you though that it's all speculation and we have no idea what it's actually going behind the scenes.
    Apparently DC couldn't wait with regards to the Legion, which was why the reigns to the relaunch were handed to Bendis.

I just find it hard to believe that Johns was ordered to do anything with regards to Doomsday Clock. People seem to be giving him a pass for things that are pretty habitual with his stories.

After that last page in issue#11, I'll just be waiting for issue#12 to start with Supes taking off his pants for a real dick measurement contest

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Oz used Reggie Long to manipulate Mime and Marionette, but I also don't know why he was needed. Maybe it's because of his journal? He wanted someone from Superman's universe to find it or something. Maybe #12 will clear it up.
    We'll find out in 6 months!

Well, maybe they should have stuck to the schedule instead of dragging this out for ten years. You can't expect a major company to kowtow to one artist who can't meet their deadlines at the expense of all of their other talent.

Personally, I'd scrap the series idea and release the whole thing as an Elseworlds TPB.

Until Bleeding Cool starts talking about mandated rewrites for Doomsday Clock, I don't think unsatisfying conclusions are evidence of editorial interference.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Until Bleeding Cool starts talking about mandated rewrites for Doomsday Clock, I don't think unsatisfying conclusions are evidence of editorial interference.
    How about a key character up to that point suddenly being wiped out of existence on the heels of a reboot where said character and associated team never interacted with one of the main characters?

Doesn't read like a natural progression to me either. Don't buy at all that her role from inception was to find out that Superman didn't know her and then she gets finger snapped away. It reads far more that this was done to collaborate with the directions chosen while this story was still being written.

And I'm not saying that wouldn't have been right if so. This book just took too long, I get it. It was never fair for everything to have to twiddle their thumbs for two years. That I absolutely loathe this particular direction doesn't change that. But furthermore aside from a point of view of the narrative, I also have an extremely hard time believing that Johns' intent was getting rid of the Legion that he himself brought back ten years ago. Just not buying it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-04-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I agree with you but I've still hope that Johns can tell the story he wanted till the start. In issue 12 everything could be reversed.
    Anyway this book is far better than anything else printed by DC nowadays.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 09-04-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

Missing genie, wishing boy, magic ring and magic lamp.

Moths and flames.

Doc was lured here by the bright lights. He's toast.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

It's crazy to think that after #12 is out I have nothing to look forward to from DC. I originally thought something big was gonna happen after DdC but it looks like that's not the case. Just as I dropped most of my Marvel stuff, including my X-Men!

JL is so random, I don't even know what the original story was. Year of the Villain, Doom War, Legion, and Leviathan are all so 'meh'.

I guess the JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    How about a key character up to that point suddenly being wiped out of existence on the heels of a reboot where said character and associated team never interacted with one of the main characters?
    She wasn't a key character. Ozymandias and - perhaps- Manhattan have been. But Saturn Girl was just one more face in an over-crowded and over-ambitious story, which never managed to have one clear set of events, characters and goals to build upon. Even before this issue, she was pretty much inconsequential for the whole story. Like most other characters (up to and including big names like Wonder Woman and Batman, really).

But all of this rest on Johns failure to realize that the strenght of Watchmen is a very simple plot ("Someone is killing former vigilantes and must be found"), juxtaposed with a complew setting ("a world very much like our own, on the verge of nuclear annihilation because of the existence of a lone all-powerful individual") allowed the exploration of a small set of characters, which had space to be flesh out and play out with each other, allowing for the deepness of the story. Dr. Manhattan, Rorschach, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre, Ozymandias, and to a lesser extent the Comedian are the sole true characters of the story.

Meanwhile, in Doomsday Clock, we had, from the beginning Ozymandias, Rorschach II, Mime, Marionette, Saturn Girl, Johnny Thunder, Superman, Batman, Lew, The Comedian, Doctor Manhattan (perhaps others I'm forgetting) which were positionned as important (or at least looked like they would be important). And that's without counting the subplots of the Supermen Theory, Khandaq, the Villains in Gotham (or was it Metropolis?) and perhaps other which have also slipped off my mind.

Doomsday Clock was always far too crowded, far too unsure of what it wanted to be, what story it wanted to tell, to have more than one and a half important character : Ozymandias and Jon. And that's it. And that's why we are where we are today. Not because of editorial interferences betraying a perfect evergreen story. But an over-ambitious writer who found himself stuck for too long, unable to move and leaving us with a convoluted story which seems to go nowhere, because we don't understand what's at stake inside the story.

Gary Frank's artwork is stunning however (even if I'm not too fond of the face he gives to Superman).