View Poll Results: Doomsday Clock or Metal?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doomsday Clock

28 65.12%
  • Metal

15 34.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My vote is YES, BOTH.

They're so different and so far I love them both. I can't choose one over the other yet. We've only had one issue of D. Clock.

Incredible Member

Doomsday Clock easily. Metal is okay but it’s too Batman centric. I don’t like this crap about. Armand fears creating dark universes. Did these universes just pop up when he came up with a fear? What about the history of every person in that universe? Was the entire thing only a few years old? It doesn’t make any sense. I’m Geoff Johns is a great writer so he will be able to improve on Moore’s stuff. Metal also relies too much on Morrison’s Final Crisis which was an abortion of a story so I have a hard time getting into anything that tries to build off of that.

Too early to give Doomsday Clock any credit.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I’m Geoff Johns is a great writer so he will be able to improve on Moore’s stuff.
    Boy, that's an . . . interesting . . . thought.

I say : Neither.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Incredible Member

I’ve always thought Watchmen was overrated. It’s not a terrible story but it’s not some untouchable masterpiece either.

Metal, because I personally don't give a hoot about "Watchmen"

I’ve always thought Watchmen was overrated. It’s not a terrible story but it’s not some untouchable masterpiece either.
    Completely agree!

As others have posted before I think one's opinion about this has a lot to do with when one first read it.

As a child of the 70s (born in '69) I was in high school when Watchmen first hit shelves, an issue a month, not collected. I think I was 17 which is a perfect age at which to be exposed to this comic that was unlike anything that came before it.

If you read it way back then, there's almost no way you don't have your mind blown. Virtually everyone did.

If you read it years later, after Watchmen had had such a profound impact on virtually ALL other superhero comics, you might feel it's not so special.

But if you read it as it came out you had your mind blown because we'd never seen anything REMOTELY like it. Since then there have been so many imitators and so many attempts to re-catch that lightning in a bottle I can see how it might not stand out as THE stand out comic series of pretty much ever.

And I think that's the dividing line. If someone posts here to say, "I first read it when it came out and I thought it was overrated. Not a terrible story but not some untouchable masterpiece either" it would be really shocking to me. Because I don't think anyone that first read it in 1986 (if I have my year right) could possibly have that response. I'm open to being wrong about that but I think it would be the very rare outlier that felt as you did AND first read it when it came out.

I always thought so too. Thought Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme was far better. Still I'm investing in Doomsday Clock just out of curiosity. Gave up on Metal. Marvel has ruined main events so it kind of makes me hesitant to buy any period. It's funny because DC just hired the guy who had a major contribution in ruining main events. I used to look forward to main events. Now I mostly steer clear. I'll give Doomsday Clock a chance since it's not Marvel. I gave Metal a chance but stopped after a few issues.

I was really excited about Doomsday Clock and so far, it doesn't disappoint. It's ambitious and layered. Metal, on the other hand, reads like some fan fiction from someone who thinks he can do better than Grant Morrison.

Fantastic Member

Metal so far feel like it could be an actually well written small scale event like Invasion! in 1989, but the most of tie-ins are quite mediocre. I expect Doomsday Clock to be more of the typical over-hyped status quo shattering stories based on my previous experience with Geoff Johns, so I only read it to see what impact it will have to continuity.