BANNED

Default Jim Shooter On What "1,000 People" Remember About Superman

Former 80s Editorial powerhouse Jim Shooter recently gave his opinions on the state of Marvel Comics, and he briefly took some time to talk about people's concerns about Wonder Woman, and he brought up something about Superman

“I just saw the Wonder Woman movie–it was good, I liked it,” Shooter said. “And I heard people say, ‘Well. it’s not the original Wonder Woman.’ Here’s the deal. If you go out and ask 1,000 people to tell you everything they know about Superman, you’ll hear the same things–Daily Planet, Lois Lane, Clark Kent, blah blah. You’ll never hear about Mister Mxyzptlk or even the Fortress of Solitude. Anything the 1,000 people say–keep that, don’t mess with that. Anything that 1,000 don’t say, you get a little flexibility.
    https://www.cbr.com/jim-shooter-does...urrent-marvel/

BANNED

if you write a story with "must include these elements" mindset, than you could end up with a story that feels more like a checklist than a story

BANNED

It's funny, in the same interview he praised the work Walt Simonson did on Thor, commending him for building on what already existed, when in fact Simonson was to take over writing Thor, Shooter told him he should basically reboot the entire Thor franchise, killing off everybody except Thor and get rid of Asgard.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 11-23-2017 at 12:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    It's funny, in the same interview he praised the work Walt Simonson did on Thor, commending him for building on what already existed, when in fact Simonson was to take over writing Thor, Shooter told him he should basically reboot the entire Thor franchise, killing off everybody except Thor and getting rid of Asgard.
    imagine the backlash that would have occurred if doctor Manhattan had killed jon kent and erased lois and clarks memories.....that anger was mine when he did that to thor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    imagine the backlash that would have occurred if doctor Manhattan had killed jon kent and erased lois and clarks memories.....that anger was mine when he did that to thor
    It never actually happened.

Simonson did the Beta Ray Bill story instead.

BANNED

It never actually happened.

Simonson did the Beta Ray Bill story instead.
    my relationship to Marvel is complicated....thanks to a certain comic book event(secret wars)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Woof, softball city. While I don't think it's great that he perpetuates the idea of the current creators not trying as hard or doing some very obvious things, obviously he knows what he's talking about when it comes to finding success. With all of the killer stuff that went down and all of the talent (I love that he lists Hama, Nocenti, and Simonson as editors, very easy to overlook for everyone not involved) I guess I can see why this interviewer blows smoke.

His comment on Superman is rather minimal, though. In fact I wouldn't say it has anything directly to do with Superman. It's just a very basic example. When I saw him mentioned in a thread I thought maybe it was about his actual contributions to DC. This might end up as a Marvel topic.

It's funny, in the same interview he praised the work Walt Simonson did on Thor, commending him for building on what already existed, when in fact Simonson was to take over writing Thor, Shooter told him he should basically reboot the entire Thor franchise, killing off everybody except Thor and get rid of Asgard.
    I don't know if he's outright admitted to being wrong on that, but in fairness Thor before Walt wasn't at all like he was after.

Thank goodness he didn't...

Is Superman’s fortress of solitude really considered obscure to the general public? Thought the Donner movies made it a “mainstream” part of Superman lore.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 11-26-2017 at 06:31 PM.