Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Seems Calvin is alive and well. Like the GOP Congress people who think people who get sick deserve it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I'm assuming you're referring to Ragdoll's post, which was so absurd s/he came across as a troll. In that regard it's totally fair to dismiss that post. lol
    So you are just talking out of your ____ and have no idea what Ragdoll's experience with the homeless are like, so I'll just go ahead and dismiss your post because you must be trolling and have no intention of changing your view on anything, as is totally apparent.

Did I do it right?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    for real

Ive seen similar posts (guy can work, spouse can't) and responses like "maybe you shouldn't have married a liability" "drop her with her family and make a new life"
    And I've been told that. So yeah. It's great to see this fourm still trying to put words in people's mouths and do anything to dismiss a different viewpoint.
    Last edited by bloodofthegods; 12-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.

BANNED

Jeff Sessions on debtors' prisons.

https://medium.com/aclu/jeff-session...s-3395431fa21d

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post

And I've been told that. So yeah.
    So i'm guessing you was ok with that?

BANNED

@bloodofthegods

I was agreeing with you that people are awful when it comes to those less fortunate and how callous they can be to those around them as well

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    This was back in 2011 when she worked. And no she couldn't now. However due to the fact that I HAVE to work, she gets the kids to their various doc's appointments and gets to her own therapy. In fact I got her out of the house today. We have a lunch date. :-) But to the state she is competent enough she should be able to hold a job. What can you do you know? *shrugs*

It's less devil's advocacy than it is seeing people dismiss other's comments and make assumptions about them because they don't want to address something that makes them feel uncomfortable or doesn't conform to their world view. As in, in this thread, either homeless people are all victims of circumstance, the government or someone else and entirely infallible; or we'll just laugh at your posts. It's funny how this forum has turned into, "oh you have a different opinion than this forum's loud vocally minority" = devil's advocacy.
    I don't consider the homeless infallible, I just do my best to consider them as no worse than me ... because, while I hope to never be among them, there is no guarantee, and I've definitely been closer than I'd like, a lot more often that I'd like. I think I am a good person at base, and I have worked hard -- most often as a matter of principle, even while it has often been a necessity. Still, at the end of the day, without the kindness and support of others ... I could easily have been homeless. Or, y'know, possibly worse.

And I am a veteran with a college education, and a support network most could only dream of. Yet, I don't take it for granted that I could never end up homeless. Unlikely, but not impossible. So, I try to think of and treat homeless people the way I would hope to be thought of and treated, if I were them. Doing this is no indictment of anyone who thinks differently.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

BANNED

If you're going to require people to work to receive Medicaid, don't you have to require employers to hire them?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/1023560001/

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    @bloodofthegods

I was agreeing with you that people are awful when it comes to those less fortunate and how callous they can be to those around them as well
    Which is why i said what i said. Because he didn't see any irony in the fact his criticism of the poor is the same type of criticism being leveled at him..

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    What if you can't afford even nice clothes for an interview? What if you talk like a person who is from a poor economic background? You can say that should not matter, but you know it does. If you have been dirt poor all of your life, the sad truth is that a good deal of what we call economic opportunity will be closed off to you, because you will lack the education and cultural signifiers that would let someone give you a chance.

There's actually a book that discusses this called Dream Hoarders. It's a great read, that identifies this issue. Only flaw is the solution which was off putting to me

BANNED

And in the latest hosing of the poor...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.0996c60bdf1d

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Afterwards, please read the absurd comment section. lol

BANNED

Astonishing Member

I live in Los Angeles and it’s not uncommon to witness a homeless person begging for some change. It’s rather sad.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

Americans have no business going around the world and telling foreigners,"You need to be like us."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I live in Los Angeles and it’s not uncommon to witness a homeless person begging for some change. It’s rather sad.
    You can't walk one block downtown without getting panhandled, any time of the day.