Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    The part on food is because of the law (at least in the United States). They don't want to risk giving old food that then makes somebody sick. But that's what happens when stuff is produced not for necessity or use, but because it has to be traded on a market. What use is excess food if it can't be sold? Hence the garbage. It's messed up.

The same with the jackets and blankets. Some retailers and cloth makers take the excess stock (overproduction) and give it to companies that sell it at a discount (outlet stores, some online retailers, places like Ross (US brand that sells designer stuff at a discount)). I'm surprised that Eddie Bauer didn't try that first. Not to mention the trend of fast fashion which has all sorts of effects. But if it can't be sold on a market, what use do the clothes have? Eddie Bauer would rather destroy the clothes than lose money giving them away for free. So much for corporate social responsibility. That only matters when it makes for good PR see.
    Something else about giving away excess food is that it would encourage employees to be wasteful with it. It's not a good idea.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Something else about giving away excess food is that it would encourage employees to be wasteful with it. It's not a good idea.
    Just like gun control, it's something that works in other countries but the US just can't figure it out.

French law forbids food waste by supermarkets

BANNED

This was the plan all along. To cuts taxes for the wealthy so that the resulting budget shortfall would justify cutting Social Security and Medicare. It's amazing that Americans keep electing such psychopaths to office.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...gops-base.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Just like gun control, it's something that works in other countries but the US just can't figure it out.

French law forbids food waste by supermarkets
    Well, you go get a job in a restaurant and haggle with the owner to let you give away the excess food, and see what he says about that.

As for gun control, Americans just don't want it. It's not that they can't figure it out.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Well, you go get a job in a restaurant and haggle with the owner to let you give away the excess food, and see what he says about that.

As for gun control, Americans just don't want it. It's not that they can't figure it out.
    Talking about supermarkets, Trey.

Nobody wants to feed the homeless with what's leftover on your plate at Arby's.

Actually they do. But like most things, the GOP continues to push things most Americans don't favor.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...up-poll-244759
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This was the plan all along. To cuts taxes for the wealthy so that the resulting budget shortfall would justify cutting Social Security and Medicare. It's amazing that Americans keep electing such psychopaths to office.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...gops-base.html
    Republicans have always loved/fetishes the rich while simultaneously hating the poor. What's changed is that they're no longer trying to hide or cover up their hatred anymore.

Full blown hate on display in the modern Gray Old Pedophiles.

BANNED

I don't think there's ever been a country whose government has actively made war on its poor. Many countries have treated them callously and with disrespect. But actual war? This is a new thing under the sun. And it comes from politicians like Paul Ryan's secret admiration for the lunatic Ayn Rand. The irony there is that our closet Objectivists loudly claim to be devout Christians, even though their hero was a militant atheist.

I don't think there's ever been a country whose government has actively made war on its poor. Many countries have treated them callously and with disrespect. But actual war? This is a new thing under the sun. And it comes from politicians like Paul Ryan's secret admiration for the lunatic Ayn Rand. The irony there is that our closet Objectivists loudly claim to be devout Christians, even though their hero was a militant atheist.
    There have been situations in which the poor have been treated much worse, so this isn't a particularly unusual relationship between the haves and the have-nots.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There have been situations in which the poor have been treated much worse, so this isn't a particularly unusual relationship between the haves and the have-nots.
    I agree there have been countries whose citizens have treated the poor worse than America's citizens are treating their poor. But I don't think a government has ever been informed and guided by an anti-poor ideology like Objectivism. BTW, Ayn Rand accepted government assistance in her old age, so she was a hypocrite.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

The irony is that with all the money they spend on trying to criminalize poor people, they could have used that money to build more shelters or maybe *GASP* more affordable housing. I think there's a term for what the city does when they waste money like that, it's called Fascist, but Inefficient.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    The part on food is because of the law (at least in the United States). They don't want to risk giving old food that then makes somebody sick.
    I think Chris Hayes, Or Rachel Maddow did a segment that disputes this.

Fantastic Member

Oh, and here's something else. The maximum anyone can get in EBT benefits is $189 a month. That's $6.30 a day.

Do any of you think you could survive on $6.30 worth of food a day?

And people usually get less than that!
    I kept a family of four fed on $8.45 and hour for about six months with no EBT. And not much more than that for almost another year with the next job I took.

That said, it's funny to see how CBR can't stand a contrary opinion, like Ragdoll's observations. So a bunch of people laugh and post generalizations, while he/she was just making observations on a local level. I've worked 23 years of my life and had unemployment twice (both time for about 2 months) and got WIC with both my boys.

I also know a man I worked with (he's since quit this job) that legitimately was homeless, for what I would not consider "wrong" reasons. I also see the same people for years (I've worked in the same area for 13 years now) that are always on street corners. Are they getting enough money to survive and just are fine with living on the streets? Are they not getting enough money to get off the streets? That I can't answer. But I am sure not going to make some authoritarian post that I do. I find that distasteful in a debate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    I kept a family of four fed on $8.45 and hour for about six months with no EBT. And not much more than that for almost another year with the next job I took.

That said, it's funny to see how CBR can't stand a contrary opinion, like Ragdoll's observations. So a bunch of people laugh and post generalizations, while he/she was just making observations on a local level. I've worked 23 years of my life and had unemployment twice (both time for about 2 months) and got WIC with both my boys.

I also know a man I worked with (he's since quit this job) that legitimately was homeless, for what I would not consider "wrong" reasons. I also see the same people for years (I've worked in the same area for 13 years now) that are always on street corners. Are they getting enough money to survive and just are fine with living on the streets? Are they not getting enough money to get off the streets? That I can't answer. But I am sure not going to make some authoritarian post that I do. I find that distasteful in a debate.
    and sadly, that perspective is what people are missing

yes, some people end up out on the street due to their own bad decisions

but its a lot more that are there because circumstances were beyond their control

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post

Some people are unemployable. That's just reality.