Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    and sadly, that perspective is what people are missing

yes, some people end up out on the street due to their own bad decisions

but its a lot more that are there because circumstances were beyond their control
    The only thing he told me was that he relocated to that city (and the conversation came up because it is here where I live now) in the 80's towards the end of what became known as the end of the biggest oil boom, and because he had no permanent residence, not much saved, and his job ended almost as quickly as he got there, he was on the streets for "a while". I didn't really expect someone to share that with me in casual conversation, so I didn't ask anything more. Could he have planned more? Not moved with out something more concrete? Yes there are lots of things out of some people's control, and hindsight is always 20/20, but I would say in a case like that, he was actually perusing a job and contributing to society, when an entire industry plummeted like the Great Depression.

Also the reality is, unless one does know a or several people that are or have been homeless, the reasons are not known. And assuming either way is just as reductive as the other.

When I worked in a convience store in St Louis, I was at one store for like 2 years before transferring. And there was a couple that pan handled on the busy street corner and made enough to live. They'd buy food/smokes/booze. Sometimes go to a few of the close by restaurants. And most nights had enough money to get a room in a nearby, albeit really cheap, motel. They literally made a living panhandling, but were still homeless. Just an anecdote to share of a story of one of the many of homeless people in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Some people are unemployable. That's just reality.
    Yes. My wife. Bi-polar and anxiety. In the years we've been married she only worked once, and that was out of necessity at the time. She was diagnosed back in 2007. We've done everything allowed by the country for us to do to try and get her on disability. This year we were turned down again. And I've only done that as it is getting harder and harder for me to support on one income. So no I am not some heartless poster that's just writing off all homeless people. Just trying to have a discussion, where it seems some aspects of are getting shut down and ignored.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post

Yes. My wife. Bi-polar and anxiety. In the years we've been married she only worked once, and that was out of necessity at the time. She was diagnosed back in 2007. We've done everything allowed by the country for us to do to try and get her on disability. This year we were turned down again. And I've only done that as it is getting harder and harder for me to support on one income. So no I am not some heartless poster that's just writing off all homeless people. Just trying to have a discussion, where it seems some aspects of are getting shut down and ignored.
    I've got a relative who is bipolar. Luckily her parents were able to get her on disability. There's no way she could hold a job.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

The only thing he told me was that he relocated to that city (and the conversation came up because it is here where I live now) in the 80's towards the end of what became known as the end of the biggest oil boom, and because he had no permanent residence, not much saved, and his job ended almost as quickly as he got there, he was on the streets for "a while". I didn't really expect someone to share that with me in casual conversation, so I didn't ask anything more. Could he have planned more? Not moved with out something more concrete? Yes there are lots of things out of some people's control, and hindsight is always 20/20, but I would say in a case like that, he was actually perusing a job and contributing to society, when an entire industry plummeted like the Great Depression.

Also the reality is, unless one does know a or several people that are or have been homeless, the reasons are not known. And assuming either way is just as reductive as the other.

When I worked in a convience store in St Louis, I was at one store for like 2 years before transferring. And there was a couple that pan handled on the busy street corner and made enough to live. They'd buy food/smokes/booze. Sometimes go to a few of the close by restaurants. And most nights had enough money to get a room in a nearby, albeit really cheap, motel. They literally made a living panhandling, but were still homeless. Just an anecdote to share of a story of one of the many of homeless people in the US.

You do realize for all of your devil advocacy, someone is probably looking at you with the same disdain. Saying you're lazy and made bad choices.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've got a relative who is bipolar. Luckily her parents were able to get her on disability. There's no way she could hold a job.
    This was back in 2011 when she worked. And no she couldn't now. However due to the fact that I HAVE to work, she gets the kids to their various doc's appointments and gets to her own therapy. In fact I got her out of the house today. We have a lunch date. :-) But to the state she is competent enough she should be able to hold a job. What can you do you know? *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    You do realize for all of your devil advocacy, someone is probably looking at you with the same disdain. Saying you're lazy and made bad choices.
    It's less devil's advocacy than it is seeing people dismiss other's comments and make assumptions about them because they don't want to address something that makes them feel uncomfortable or doesn't conform to their world view. As in, in this thread, either homeless people are all victims of circumstance, the government or someone else and entirely infallible; or we'll just laugh at your posts. It's funny how this forum has turned into, "oh you have a different opinion than this forum's loud vocally minority" = devil's advocacy.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It's said that we're all a missed paycheck or two away from being out on the street, something that definitely makes you think.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

It's less devil's advocacy than it is seeing people dismiss other's comments and make assumptions about them because they don't want to address something that makes them feel uncomfortable or doesn't conform to their world view. As in, in this thread, either homeless people are all victims of circumstance, the government or someone else and entirely infallible; or we'll just laugh at your posts. It's funny how this forum has turned into, "oh you have a different opinion than this forum's loud vocally minority" = devil's advocacy.
    I'm assuming you're referring to Ragdoll's post, which was so absurd s/he came across as a troll. In that regard it's totally fair to dismiss that post. lol

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It's said that we're all a missed paycheck or two away from being out on the street, something that definitely makes you think.
    Another thing that really seems to be the cause of this is, the lack of affordable housing, fluctuating rent, and utilities are absurdly high right now. Also it's REALLY bad to be poor and not have good transportation, that just makes your problems WORSE.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 12-14-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Another thing that really seems to be the cause of this is, the lack of affordable housing, fluctuating rent, and utilities are absurdly high right now.
    Not to mention the relentless gentrification of neighborhoods for the purpose of spiking real estate values through the roof, effectively pricing out the middle class in favor of well heeled renters and/or buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Not to mention the relentless gentrification of neighborhoods for the purpose of spiking real estate values through the roof, effectively pricing out the middle class in favor of well heeled renters and/or buyers.
    That's what's happening downtown in my city of Birmingham Alabama. And it seems to be the case everywhere, not just places like Harlem. Pretty soon there won't be a middle-class anymore, just low income people bitterly fighting over entitlement programs, and who deserves, and don't deserve what. While rich people just expand their power.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    for real

Ive seen similar posts (guy can work, spouse can't) and responses like "maybe you shouldn't have married a liability" "drop her with her family and make a new life"

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    for real

Ive seen similar posts (guy can work, spouse can't) and responses like "maybe you shouldn't have married a liability" "drop her with her family and make a new life"
    I have gotten that in regards to taking care of my mom. And people have said it with ice in their veins.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 12-14-2017 at 10:06 AM.

That's what's happening downtown in my city of Birmingham Alabama. And it seems to be the case everywhere, not just places like Harlem. Pretty soon there won't be a middle-class anymore, just low income people bitterly fighting over entitlement programs, and who deserves, and don't deserve what. While rich people just expand their power.
    I used to joke with co-workers about how I'm not middle class but "upper poor". However, in light of everything that's gone down over the last year or so with Republicans in Congress hellbent on destroying the middle class in order to further enrich the wealthy, that joke of mine is no longer funny, rather it's prophetic.

I'm assuming you're referring to Ragdoll's post, which was so absurd s/he came across as a troll. In that regard it's totally fair to dismiss that post. lol
    Nah, you're just being dismissive as the allegations say. I stand by everything in my post.

EDIT: if my first post seemed insensitive, it's only because of how you guys were desperately trying to blame everyone but the homeless, this discussion needed a reality check. OP wanted to know why they are demonized and I felt nobody was giving them an honest answer, just making excuses for the problem.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 12-16-2017 at 06:15 AM.

The question was 'why are the poor demonized'. And they are. And you delivered with it. Also, that's some hefty projection about how we were desperately 'trying to blame anyone but the poors'. Poor people are regularly demonized, homeless people are killed on the streets. In Portland, over 350 homeless people died on the streets this year from a variety of causes. And yet, people will /desperately/ find a reason to excuse their lack of caring.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-16-2017 at 06:40 AM.