Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    there's also lots of decent, law abiding people struggling daily to make ends meet who, through no fault of their own, encounter bad luck and wind up homeless. Those are the sort of people who desperately need help Republicans would heartlessly deny.
    This gets brought up numerous times within this VERY thread. But people ignore this, and insist on pushing the narrative of drug addicted, psycho veteran winos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    This gets brought up numerous times within this VERY thread. But people ignore this, and insist on pushing the narrative of drug addicted, psycho veteran winos.
    One of the guys at work is just awful about homeless we see around. Seriously there are so many people one major illness away from similar situations. All homeless are not drunk whinos who "did it to themselves". If we can spend trillions on Military we can afford to treat homeless people as human beings.

No one is saying they should get apartments and flat screens and cable on government dime.

BANNED

I posted here once that anyone who has been on the streets for a long time, say maybe five years -- that is, the hard core homeless -- should get free, no-frills apartments. Something like dormitory rooms. One person objected to their being grouped together that way, but it's the only plan that will work. They're not just like the tenants in every other apartment complex. They'll need a lot of security measures in their housing and easy access to psychological help.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I posted here once that anyone who has been on the streets for a long time, say maybe five years -- that is, the hard core homeless -- should get free, no-frills apartments. Something like dormitory rooms. One person objected to their being grouped together that way, but it's the only plan that will work. They're not just like the tenants in every other apartment complex. They'll need a lot of security measures in their housing and easy access to psychological help.
    So we should make homeless concentration camps?
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    So we should make homeless concentration camps?
    Damn. That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long, long time.

If they don't to stay there, then they don't have to.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-31-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Damn. That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long, long time.

If they don't to stay there, then they don't have to.
    You're the one that suggested that the homeless should be put in highly secure dorms, I was just asking for clarification.

California has the 4th highest Homeless rate (and climbing) it the united states, It also has the highest homeless population over all. In contrast it is also the state with the highest GDP and the 6th highest tax income tax rate. New York has the 2nd highest homeless rate, and the 2nd highest population, with the third highest GDP and the highest tax rate in the united states. In comparison Texas is in-between both California and New York when it comes to both population and GDP with a 0% income tax rate, it is 45th in homeless rate. Its odd that one of the poorest and least educated state, Mississippi, has the lowest homeless rate in the county.

Spending billions on highly secured compounds...sorry "dorms".. that people may or may not go to is only trying to put a band aid on a open chest wound and the silliest thing I've heard in a long, long time.
    The biggest difference between California and Mississippi when it come to the homeless is the cost of living. A person in Mississippi can work a minimum wage job for a few years and be able to save up money, where that is not even remotely possible in California. Setting up ghettoes that echo the FDR's housing policy made to keep depression era poor black families that come from the south to places like New York looking for work out of white neighbor hoods or, large homeless compounds will do nothing to stop the rise of homeless in California which has grown 9 times faster than the rest in the country in the past 10 years but become an economic drain. Propriety value is the biggest reason for homeless... James McMillan III was on to something "The rent is too damn high".

Astonishing Member

You're the one that suggested that the homeless should be put in highly secure dorms, I was just asking for clarification.

California has the 4th highest Homeless rate (and climbing) it the united states, It also has the highest homeless population over all. In contrast it is also the state with the highest GDP and the 6th highest tax income tax rate. New York has the 2nd highest homeless rate, and the 2nd highest population, with the third highest GDP and the highest tax rate in the united states. In comparison Texas is in-between both California and New York when it comes to both population and GDP with a 0% income tax rate, it is 45th in homeless rate. Its odd that one of the poorest and least educated state, Mississippi, has the lowest homeless rate in the county.

Spending billions on highly secured compounds...sorry "dorms".. that people may or may not go to is only trying to put a band aid on a open chest wound and the silliest thing I've heard in a long, long time.
    The biggest difference between California and Mississippi when it come to the homeless is the cost of living. A person in Mississippi can work a minimum wage job for a few years and be able to save up money, where that is not even remotely possible in California. Setting up ghettoes that echo the FDR's housing policy made to keep depression era poor black families that come from the south to places like New York looking for work out of white neighbor hoods or, large homeless compounds will do nothing to stop the rise of homeless in California which has grown 9 times faster than the rest in the country in the past 10 years but become an economic drain. Propriety value is the biggest reason for homeless... James McMillan III was on to something "The rent is too damn high".
    Well look at it this way. If you are homeless is it better to try and panhandle somewhere where people have actual money and resources? Or ask for money in places you know everyone else is poor also.
    I see it all the time in Houston. You tend to see a lot more homeless say near where all the energy company offices are. Big corporations etc, I guess you figure they make money they maybe give more spare change?

They would need that security, not to lock people in, but to help stifle violence, theft, drug use, and other crimes within the facilities. Homeless shelters are not fun places to be, just imagine a massive campus with a much larger population.

The richer the location, the more resources there are that can be spared for the homeless. Be it a higher chance that the average person on the street has some change or food to spare, or the cities themselves have more money to spare on homeless aid facilities.

Plus, there's the matter of environment. When you have to rough it on the streets, you have better chances in California's mostly-stable desert conditions with access to public water sources and little need to worry about thunderstorms, tornados, hurricanes, or snow. New York has harsh winters and storms, but the urban sprawl of the east coast provides abundant shelter options in a pinch.

It would have to be a temporary relief aid, while better solutions were worked on. It could easily descend into a projects hell hole as the worst of elements of society congregates there to prey upon people and hide from authorities. The thing is, I don't see the chest wound being stitched up when the band-aid looks good in the moment, and then the crisis is forgotten about until the whole thing implodes.

That is also indeed a big factor. A person is more at risk to become homeless in an expensive place to live, and once that happens, they may not even have the resources to get out. Especially if they are homeless from some sort of injury or illness, they aren't hoofing it from LA to Memphis.

I remember that conversation, and there was a lot more than one person disagreeing with your plan.

The way you framed it did make it sound a bit concentration-camp-esque - though I don't think that was your intention.

I do think it's important that no-one who wants a home should be without one, but it needs to be with a view to putting them back on their feet properly. I think grouping them together like that is detrimental to that.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I remember that conversation, and there was a lot more than one person disagreeing with your plan.

The way you framed it did make it sound a bit concentration-camp-esque - though I don't think that was your intention.

I do think it's important that no-one who wants a home should be without one, but it needs to be with a view to putting them back on their feet properly. I think grouping them together like that is detrimental to that.
    The city of Malibu asked a church to stop feeding the homeless because they were afraid that it was encouraging people to be homeless. I can't see how having one free meal a week can make being homeless appealing. I really don't think that only giving some one a roof over their head is any kind of fix at all, not even temporary same as giving them one meal week.

Where I live a job must be posted a number of days before getting labor from a migrant work program. One would think that was the sign of the lazy Americans that does not want to work or thinks they are too good for the job. But looking more into it that is not the case. The unemployment here is relatively low compared to other parts of the US so there just may be no one in the area to fill the job and migrant work has to be brought in. My question is why cant we have an interstate worker program like we have a foreign guest worker program? The migrant working program makes the employer cover transportation, housing, and insurance for the worker while they are under contract, Why not use domestic workers if they are willing to work?

I thought about this when I was building my house, over half of the people the contractor had working for him were migrants. He told be that he would hire all local people if he could but with in the these small growing cities there was just not enough skilled labor to fill the demand so he had use a migrant program. The man that put my carpets in was from a large city in another state. He was a skilled worker that was living out of his van so he could save up enough money to get an apartment so he could move his wife and kids out of the city that they could not make a living in.

There is really no program that would temporarily move some one that is willing to work but can't find a job from New York City to a growing small city Kansas for example if labor is needed there, yet there is a program to get the labor from Mexico or other countries do just that. Such a program can help a person move from a high cost of living area to one with a lower cost of living if they wanted to do that also. I do not believe that people just don't want to work, its just the work and the people willing to are in different places. I know that this will not be a total fix in it's self but coupled along with vocational training assistance, subsidized salaries for people in transition, and tax incentives for employers to participate it would be a huge step in the right direction. This would be way more effective than just creating homeless housing compounds, as a person that spent half of his childhood in subsidized housing (aka the projects) I can tell you right they failed...

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Sorry for the thread necro, but the whole Covid situation has me wondering about all the mass evictions thats still looming in the background. I wonder what impact that'll have. That can't be good either.

Probably not...

Where things are, I'd even be satisfied if the current administration felt like it had a solid plan to try to work things out for folks who are attempting to catch up with rent or house payments.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Sorry for the thread necro, but the whole Covid situation has me wondering about all the mass evictions thats still looming in the background. I wonder what impact that'll have. That can't be good either.
    Unemployment is at a low 4.8%. I'd imagine not that many people are being booted out of their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Unemployment is at a low 4.8%. I'd imagine not that many people are being booted out of their homes.
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronav...sing-extension

Turning back the clock? Pritzker extends Illinois’ eviction moratorium after U.S. Supreme Court nixes federal version
    According to the U.S. Census Bureau, more than 126,000 Illinoisans say they’re likely to face eviction or foreclosure in the next two months.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The two month prediction on this article is almost up. Did these people get evicted or did they get jobs to pay for rent?