Thread: Stores in NY

Default Stores in NY

Hi.
    Going to the USA (New York) tomorrow for the first time. Can you please tell me what are the best & biggest comic book and board game stores in Manhattan? (my hotel is close to Times Square)
    Thanks!

Hey hyped. I made this post a couple of months ago for another visitor to NYC looking for a comic book store. Should apply for you as well.

For you, the main place to visit would be Midtown Comics, which is located at West 40th St. and 7th Avenue, right in the Times Square vicinity. Literally, go up to two blocks, and you're basically entering Times Square.

The store in itself is great. Lots of comics and trades on the first floor, while there's a ton of merchandise on the second. Staff are really nice and there's a good flow of people. Locals, tourists, men, women, kids, you name it. Highly recommended!

Still if you ever find yourself below 14th St., you might want to check out Forbidden Planet, which is at 12th St. and Broadway. Many subway lines go to Union Square, which is close by to Forbidden Planet. (Union Square is a great place to visit by the way. Lots of farmer's markets, artists, and generally a lot of cool people hang out there. They may have already set up stalls for the Christmas market.)

Also, in the Forbidden Planet area, you can also check out St. Mark's Comics, which is about two blocks over and four blocks down from Forbidden Planet over on St. Mark's Place in the Village. It's smaller than the others, but I liked it's smaller vibe. Plus, St. Mark's Place is a great street to visit. Some really nice Japanese restaurants there.

Enjoy yourself in the city!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Metropolis Comics would be a good choice. Near Times Square.

https://www.metropoliscomics.com/loa...age=Contact_us
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Metropolis Comics would be a good choice. Near Times Square.

https://www.metropoliscomics.com/loa...age=Contact_us
    I don't think that's a "drop in" store suitable for tourists, or for that matter anyone just browsing. The website states "Visits to showroom by appointment only."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hey hyped. I made this post a couple of months ago for another visitor to NYC looking for a comic book store. Should apply for you as well.

For you, the main place to visit would be Midtown Comics, which is located at West 40th St. and 7th Avenue, right in the Times Square vicinity. Literally, go up to two blocks, and you're basically entering Times Square.
    Yes, I remember a similar post asking this too some months ago.

@hyped78,
    as Tien Long recommends, you'll be right near this Midtown Comics store. It's a great place and is well stocked. The other sugestions in his post are excellent too. You can't go wrong with any of the stores, but Midtown Comics' Times Square branch will be very convenient for you. Have fun

Welcome to NY and enjoy your stay
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 11-24-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    I don't think that's a "drop in" store suitable for tourists, or for that matter anyone just browsing. The website states "Visits to showroom by appointment only."

Yes, I remember a similar post asking this too some months ago.

@hyped78,
    as Tien Long recommends, you'll be right near this Midtown Comics store. It's a great place and is well stocked. The other sugestions in his post are excellent too. You can't go wrong with any of the stores, but Midtown Comics' Times Square branch will be very convenient for you. Have fun

Welcome to NY and enjoy your stay
    You are right, my bad. I was thinking of Midtown Comics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

The store in itself is great. Lots of comics and trades on the first floor, while there's a ton of merchandise on the second. Staff are really nice and there's a good flow of people. Locals, tourists, men, women, kids, you name it. Highly recommended!

Still if you ever find yourself below 14th St., you might want to check out Forbidden Planet, which is at 12th St. and Broadway. Many subway lines go to Union Square, which is close by to Forbidden Planet. (Union Square is a great place to visit by the way. Lots of farmer's markets, artists, and generally a lot of cool people hang out there. They may have already set up stalls for the Christmas market.)

Also, in the Forbidden Planet area, you can also check out St. Mark's Comics, which is about two blocks over and four blocks down from Forbidden Planet over on St. Mark's Place in the Village. It's smaller than the others, but I liked it's smaller vibe. Plus, St. Mark's Place is a great street to visit. Some really nice Japanese restaurants there.

Enjoy yourself in the city!
    These were my favorite haunts in NYC back in the day. Hope it went well for you.

Hi. I went to Midtown Comics, it was a 5 minute walk away from my hotel. Great selection and staff, ended up buying several graphic novels! Also loved NY, generally speaking. Thanks for the tips guys!

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Hi. I went to Midtown Comics, it was a 5 minute walk away from my hotel. Great selection and staff, ended up buying several graphic novels! Also loved NY, generally speaking. Thanks for the tips guys!
    Wonderful! Glad you liked Midtown Comics and glad you enjoyed NYC