Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default What would you do with: Vixen

Id really play up her international angle by making her more of female James Bond. Kind of like what they did with Dick Grayson, but with a more superowered angle.

What I shouldn’t do. Make her an urban crimefighter. She’s to powerful for that role and needs a bigger canvas to display her potential. I see her fighting Kobra, Dr. Cyber the League of Shadows, and other terrorist organizations, on the low end and mid to intermediate tier super powered villains on the upper end. DC really has issues with writing Superheroes that are middle tier powerwise. They are either street level( Batman, Green Arrow) or upper tier ( Superman WonderWoman Flash). That’s one thing Marvel tends to do better. Wolverine, Spider-Man, are both really popular mid tier heroes.

Every two or three months I get an opportunity to repeat my idea for Justice League Interdimensional.

Instead of membership of an international response team, or a promotion to a doom patrol dispatch, Wonder Woman offers a leadership position to Vixen to follow extradimensional threats back to their source and map the multiverse from the inside out. Rather than being given a collection of top tier heroic talent, Vixen's JLI includes genius Ted Kord, time-traveller Jon Michael Carter, reject lantern Guy Gardner, elementals Beatriz Da Costa and Tora Olafsdottir.

Mighty Member

Make her a main JL member and give her her own solo book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Every two or three months I get an opportunity to repeat my idea for Justice League Interdimensional.

Instead of membership of an international response team, or a promotion to a doom patrol dispatch, Wonder Woman offers a leadership position to Vixen to follow extradimensional threats back to their source and map the multiverse from the inside out. Rather than being given a collection of top tier heroic talent, Vixen's JLI includes genius Ted Kord, time-traveller Jon Michael Carter, reject lantern Guy Gardner, elementals Beatriz Da Costa and Tora Olafsdottir.
    Sliders with the Justice League? I'm in.

BANNED

Cancel JLA, put Mari and Ryan onto the main league, swapping out two of the big 7.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

J'onn: Sings All By Myselfby Celine Dion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Didn't DC already sort of try to use the Sliders formula during Countdown? Hardly prime Exiles material there.

Then again, I have an unhealthy obsession with Sliders so I'm always interested in things with similar premises.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Thanks man. I'm kicking with a concept that there's 5 adjacent Earths, and either infinite or 52 elseworlds. It's their job to protect those five Earths from Elseworld or Bleed incursions, and serve as first line of defense from ultracosmological threats like Darkseid or AntiMonitor(s). There's Earth One, Pax Mundi (Charlton Heros), Antithesphere (Crime Syndicate), Thunderworld (Shazam!), and Planet X (Freedom Fighters). Obviously they get lost in the Elseworlds, visit Apokolips, debate how much to involve themselves in the justice of the five local Earths, and have a ton of fun along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    J'onn: Sings All By Myselfby Celine Dion.
    J'onn becomes Superman Blue.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 11-24-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Id really play up her international angle by making her more of female James Bond. Kind of like what they did with Dick Grayson, but with a more superowered angle.

What I shouldn’t do. Make her an urban crimefighter. She’s to powerful for that role and needs a bigger canvas to display her potential. I see her fighting Kobra, Dr. Cyber the League of Shadows, and other terrorist organizations, on the low end and mid to intermediate tier super powered villains on the upper end. DC really has issues with writing Superheroes that are middle tier powerwise. They are either street level( Batman, Green Arrow) or upper tier ( Superman WonderWoman Flash). That’s one thing Marvel tends to do better. Wolverine, Spider-Man, are both really popular mid tier heroes.
    I agree with everything you said. Probably her fashion career causes her to go around the world and she does spy stuff along the way? Mari just screams agennt/spy RCO011_1469585005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I agree with everything you said. Probably her fashion career causes her to go around the world and she does spy stuff along the way? Mari just screams agennt/spy RCO011_1469585005.jpg
    I don't think she screams agent/spy, because I think she's pretty traditionally Superheroic, but she did work well on the Suicide Squad.

If anything I think that just proves she's more versatile then she's given credit for.

Doesn't being a spy require a level of secrecy for someone who doesn't have a secret identity nor should have one since she's in a rare niche, I mean a pattern would start to show every time she would appear somewhere and the people who are doing bad stuff would wind up getting in trouble, but hey if it would help her get a comic, I'm for it.

As for the topic of this thread, this requires some thinking since I have lots of feelings, but I will say one of my ideas that I would love to see is a mini starring Vixen, Mera, and Poison Ivy just for fun since their powers are complementary in terms of how it all relates to nature.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 11-25-2017 at 04:31 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    pretty much this right here

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Put her on the JL and I also like the anti-terrorist global angle for a solo book.

Spectacular Member

Remove her from those awful CW shows. She is very out of place there.Does not belong there..The character is better than that..

I have some thoughts on this.

- DC needs to have a clear vision for her. A goal, and a plan to eventually reach that goal.

- Vixen also needs a patron at DC. What Geoff Johns was to Aquaman, Hal Jordan, and Barry Allen. Someone in the company with clout who wants her to succeed as a character and as a brand.

- Vixen needs to be the best of the best at something within the DCU. That something, IMHO, should be her absolute mastery of animal mimicry. No other hero should be remotely as good as she is at this one thing. She reps the Red.

- to that end, Vixen gets both Animal Man and Beast Boy as part of her permanent supporting cast. Buddy becomes the Jay (mentor, retired big brother) to her Barry, and Gar becomes her Wally (sidekick, eager little brother).

- The totem physically becomes part of her and cannot be conventionally separated from her.

- her rogues need to make some of sense. For her arch-enemy ... classic Poison Ivy would be great, and it would be a step up from Batman's #10 villain to Vixen's #1. But I fear they are now stupidly trying to make her another bad girl gone good, a la Harley Quinn, so maybe some other plant - based villainess in that case? Also , some kind of technology-based villain and of course the dark mirror type.

- love interests: NOT ANOTHER SUPERHERO. Nope, nope, nope. Get or create a stable of "normie" love interests for her. A Steve Trevor/Tom Tresser of color, perhaps. Or a Trevor Barnes type if we want to steer clear of the military/ intelligence career.

- full membership in the Justice League

- her own solo title with a committed creative team behind it and an editor on the same page

And that's for starters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    - Vixen also needs a patron at DC. What Geoff Johns was to Aquaman, Hal Jordan, and Barry Allen. Someone in the company with clout who wants her to succeed as a character and as a brand.

- Vixen needs to be the best of the best at something within the DCU. That something, IMHO, should be her absolute mastery of animal mimicry. No other hero should be remotely as good as she is at this one thing. She reps the Red.
    I feel like this 'best' thing might be a misstep. I don't care who's faster, Barry, Wally, Jay, Bart, etc. I don't care which of the fiddy-billion Green Lanterns has the biggest swinging willpower. That's not what makes them interesting. Similarly, I don't care if Mari is explicitly 'better' than Animal Man. Buddy's got family, and other stuff going on, that kind of sidelines him. He doesn't necessarily *want* to be 'the animal mimickingest hero there is,' so he's not a threat to Mari.

Buddy as a mentor figure, out of the game but good for advice, or the occasional tag-team when she's in need of backup, and Garfield as a 'sidekick' could be interesting. Although Garfield has grown quite a bit and even led teams, so he's perhaps less of a 'sidekick' than a partner. She's clearly more powerful, and he seems to be fine taking direction/working with people like Donna and Kory and Raven, but he's not a kid anymore.

- The totem physically becomes part of her and cannot be conventionally separated from her.
    I would like the powers being internalized, and the totem simply the mechanism by which they were transferred to her. If she were to die, the powers would return to the totem and await the next bearer. Otherwise, stealing the totem is kind of a waste of time, unless you are a powerful sorcerer and able to use it to mess with her. (Plot twist!)

- her rogues need to make some of sense. For her arch-enemy ... classic Poison Ivy would be great, and it would be a step up from Batman's #10 villain to Vixen's #1. But I fear they are now stupidly trying to make her another bad girl gone good, a la Harley Quinn, so maybe some other plant - based villainess in that case? Also , some kind of technology-based villain and of course the dark mirror type.
    Someone all about trophy hunting or 'the most dangerous game' like a modern-day version of who Deathstroke used to be in the eighties, would make sense. She's not a fan of big game hunter types, and a 'most dangerous game' like hunter who's ready to move on to human and perhaps even metahuman prey would love a woman who encapsulates the thrill of hunting every big predator on Earth.

The cartoon has introduced the idea of other totems, involving elements of air, earth, fire and water, so it would be neat to deal with that. Some might be allies. Some might be rivals. Some might be enemies, with the totems in the hands of 'usurpers' who are using their powers in wicked ways, or just want to 'collect the whole set' and are going after totem bearers. Maybe if they all are brought together, some greater force can be invoked (like the entity / power that created the totems in the first place, or a primal force of creation that could make the person tapping the power of all five immortal and nigh-omnipotent?).

- love interests: NOT ANOTHER SUPERHERO. Nope, nope, nope. Get or create a stable of "normie" love interests for her. A Steve Trevor/Tom Tresser of color, perhaps. Or a Trevor Barnes type if we want to steer clear of the military/ intelligence career.
    So long as the love interest has something cool going on. Some sort of rank or status or fame or super-important job (like diplomat or CEO or political leader), to negate the tired 'he's jealous of his super girlfriend and does stupid stuff to feel equal / make her feel lesser' plots. I'm bored with non-super-love interests who have inferiority complexes and fear/resent the strong women they have hooked up with.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-25-2017 at 09:20 AM.

BANNED

Good writing is all imo. She's part of JLA as its leader and is facing Prometheus but none of it is exactly doing wonders for her. So I think moving teams or facing "big villains" isn't going to accomplish anything.