Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Thanos overrated?

Is Thanos overrated? I just can't get into likeing the supervillain and don't find him interesting like say magneto or Dr Doom and can't get excited for him in the mcu I'm told he is one of the greatest if not the greatest supervillain of all time but I don't get it I mean I like the big event comics he's in but think he's the most broring part what do you all think?

You are correct, he is not a good villain.

In terms of Avengers rogues gallery, he is one of the best. But their rogues gallery is terrible and really lacking in personality. Even Daredevil has a better range of villains than them.

I suppose it is like any character, you either like them or you don't.
    I get bored with Dr Doom as I can't believe a normal human could really pose that much of a threat to super powered characters.
    Thanos' earlier appearances were very ordinary, his current series is brilliant.
    I find that he does get over used much like the Phoenix Force and Galactus.
    The villain I really couldn't care less about is Apocalypse.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

For me, it depends on whose writing him. I especially like Starlin's characterization post Infinity Gauntlet when he was no longer seeking power to impress Death and became kind of like a scientist in the sense that he would kick the anthill to observe and see what would happen and then find a way to take advantage of the situation in some manner which made him a bit more of a wild card. I also like Ron Marz's and Keith Giffen's characterizations as wells as they continued this.

It seems that a lot of more modern stories have back to his more 1-Dimensional 70s characterization or ignore the development post Infinity Gauntlet regarding Death.

Overrated? Hardly. He fits the part he was made to fill, and he does it seamlessly.

Thanos is a decent enough character, but Starlin''s over protectiveness of him gets annoying. He retcons pretty much every appearance opf him he doesn't like and insists that he be written as the absolute best thing ever.

Astonishing Member

Too overused imo

Furthermore for me he causes so many problems in the universe the truly powerful beings should have stopped him long ago (when he's not got a handy handful of gems)

Too overplayed

With that aside he can be fantastic when used well

Gauntlet and Infinity (the story with the black order) are great turns for him imo

BANNED

Thanos would be a lot more bearable if he got a new costume without those big pointed shoulder thingies? And what use does Thanos have for a mask? It's about like Galactus wearing a mask: Uh, I wonder who that big guy about to devour the whole planet is. Duh.

Fantastic Member

Thanos could be cool, but so many writers spend so much time pontificating on him, I feel kind of resentful that a lot of other less "powerful" villains, who could add different nuances against the same heroes are left out. The possibilities seem wasted, as everyone wants to write the long story against such a powerful foe. Sometimes I just want a clever villain making my hero go through his/her paces, instead of rehashing the whole Infinity Gauntlet, in love with Death so I must kill people to make her happy, rinse, repeat.

No offense to Thanos fans, and my information on him may not be up to date, but now when he is part of a story I just kind of yawn. I did like Cull Obsidian, the generals were interesting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I suppose it is like any character, you either like them or you don't.
    I get bored with Dr Doom as I can't believe a normal human could really pose that much of a threat to super powered characters.
    Dr.doom is not a normal human.
    Check out his Powers and Abilities and marvel powergrid.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Victor_...om_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by mace11; 11-25-2017 at 09:23 PM.

BANNED

I've always had a hard time taking Thanos seriously. The guy is just a big brute who is inexplicable more powerful than everyone else at the start of a conflict. Dragon Ball Z does it better. Give me Frieza over Thanos any day.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think it's time for Marvel to put Thanos and others on the shelf for a bit and explore some of the other evil cosmic-scale villains. Who scared the bejeezus out of the universe before they existed? We never read many stories about the universal threats before the Earth had its heroes. But I'm sure there must have been a number of them that existed. Who dealt with those crises? That's a story that I'd like to read. Go back in time. Way back. And no, I'm not talking about another Odin story.

Astonishing Member

Thanos is one of the villains that have a more complex characterisation among all marvel villains.
    Only Doctor Doom rivals Thanos complexity imo.

BANNED

Unlike daksied thanos has managed to carry a series or two on his own shoulders and was a more viable threat in his arcs than darkseid appeared to be in series like legends and cosmic odyssey.

It seems lately he's been a bit overpowered.