Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: DCEU vs. MCU

Fantastic Member AdvanceBushido's Avatar

A few more showing that he is untouched.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    Wonder Woman jumping so far that 100' is nothing to her:
    https://youtu.be/enfGfKIjiH0?t=2m44s
    Thanks, that was the scene I was referencing. I don't know how someone can look at that and think 100 feet is going to be a problem for her to cross.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I have NEVER once said that she can't jump 100 feet. You are all saying that she can jump 100 feet before a guy who reacts to somewhat bullet-ish speed things CONSISTENTLY from 5 to 50 feet away can react in any way to her much larger and more visible body coming at him, at speeds slower than a bullet. That is literally what you are claiming. And it doesn't pass any kind of rational test to try to pass that off. If you want to argue that she's immune to what he can dish, hey, that's an argument there is evidence for, and we can debate it. But arguing that she can cross 100 feet from a stop before a guy who reacts in tiny fractions of a second can react to her? Come on now, that's just not a thing. Again, I'm not saying that Thor is faster, just that he doesn't particularly need to be: he just needs to be able to get out of her way, and get some things ready to hit her, and he does THAT to smaller things, moving faster than she does, consistently - as in: has never missed when trying that sort of thing, ever, in any film.

You also tried to claim that she can jump "dozens of city blocks". And that's kilometers, something she sure as hell has no feats for. And even that simply doesn't matter: she's not teleporting: she's jumping. It's not instant, it takes her time to cross the intervening space. And Thor can do something about that, especially as she can't change course or dodge.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Again, we don't actually see him flying without Mjolnir. Flying being a very useful power and all, you don't think its weird he didn't bust it out against Hela or Hulk?

At best, he can jump really good. He came in an arcing line from the palace to the bridge, never once going up, left, right or making any course corrections. The tower is much higher up than the bridge. Seemed like a big leap to me personally
    Against Hulk, he was powered up for a grand total of a few seconds before getting slave disked, and he didn't NEED it: he dropped Hulk twice with single punches - the one from the ground, and the one where they met in mid air: Hulk is flattened, Thor lands on his feet and slides back a few feet, then starts walking up to the stunned and struggling Hulk, whereupon Grandmaster uses the slave disk to drop him.

After, well, hard to say:

1. He goes from the palace, covering MILES in a few seconds, and lands on the bridge. If it's a jump, it's a lot better than any other char has done in any other superhero film to date. We only see the landing. We do not see if it's direct or arced AT ALL. Seen the film thrice now. He just lands.

2. Against the beasties, he launches himself parallel to the ground, spinning in all directions, and splashing lightning out in all directions as well. It's not all that far, but given that flying is consistent with his powers in general, there is as much reason to say it is flying as to say it isn't.

Maybe he can't, that's true. We'll surely know more in later films. But here, Odin flat out said that the hammer isn't what gave him power: everything was inside him, it just helped him control them. Well: we'll see.

At this point, I'm not sure I can convince you (which is fine, the debate is half the fun) but just so other people have access to the "flying" Thor does without hammer:
    55 seconds
    https://youtu.be/LnxPkst7STM
    Now you can make your own assessments.

To me personally, looks like descending in an arc, from a huge leap. And an extremely brief mid air twist from a short hop is hardly flying evidence imo. Lots of people from Street Fighters to power rangers do the exact stuff.

None of this still addresses her knocking him on his butt with an AoE opener, thus putting him on the defensive so she can close and chop.

My final point with the Hammer being his only method of flight regardless of power up is context: No other asgardian can fly. Heimdall, Odin, Loki, Hela, regular soldiers etc all depend on pegasus, space craft and such for flight of any kind. The power up and "power inside you" line seem pretty lightning only to me. Even in comics (yes different universe whatevs pfft) when he can spam lightning sans Mjolnir, he can't fly without it. Even earlier in Ragnarok he was saying how the hammer is what pulled him around. Like it was a specific ability of the hammer. It can't exactly "channel" thors inherent flight powers if he's not touching the thing. But it frequently flies independent of him.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 11-29-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

And! Because I just can't seem to quit this thread... ;P

There is some reason to believe Ares has lightning flat out stronger than anything Thor has done. Except maybe the bolt he hit hela with.

Follow me a second here:

Zeus in Justice League separates the Motherbox unity with a bolt of lightning with about 1.5 seconds of charge. Superman needed several seconds and to yell with exertion to perform the same feat of separating the boxes.

Zeus likewise struck ares down in the WW movie flashbacks with a lightning bolt to the dudes chest. We know he is badly wounded and see him clutching said chest wound in the same flashback. But still clearly intact.

Well, the lightning Diana blocked and shot back didn't just hurt Ares chest, it instantly burned a hole straight through it, before moments later vaporizing the guys body entirely. Not even a discarded foot or something.

Following that logic, it was a helluva bolt she absorbed/blocked.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Wellp, since the Flash has been mentioned, can I take the time to say he ran *really* strangely in the movie? Like he was trying to prevent his thigh and torso armor plates from clacking into each other, while simultaneously dealing with heavy armor in the first place.

http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/25/2...85b0dba_13.mp4

I mean, at least the TV Flashes and movie Quicksilvers look like they're actually running. JL Flash is flailing about.

He absolutely had a bizarre gait at times, yeah
    - big_adventure

From the footage, it doesn't appear to me that Thor can fly. However, we do see many, many times in the same scene that his lightning exerts force on objects, propelling them away as desired. Since he's using the lightning on himself, that could account for the weird physics of both his super-jump and his... uh... Psycho Crusher.

As for DCEU Flash's gait, I found it distracting at first, but then came to like it. It makes sense sorta. Barry Allen isn't athletic. So sure, he runs at super-speed--but he runs awkwardly.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning View Post
    From the footage, it doesn't appear to me that Thor can fly. However, we do see many, many times in the same scene that his lightning exerts force on objects, propelling them away as desired. Since he's using the lightning on himself, that could account for the weird physics of both his super-jump and his... uh... Psycho Crusher.

As for DCEU Flash's gait, I found it distracting at first, but then came to like it. It makes sense sorta. Barry Allen isn't athletic. So sure, he runs at super-speed, but he runs awkwardly.
    Should have been a Naruto run.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Wellp, since the Flash has been mentioned, can I take the time to say he ran *really* strangely in the movie? Like he was trying to prevent his thigh and torso armor plates from clacking into each other, while simultaneously dealing with heavy armor in the first place.

http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/25/2...85b0dba_13.mp4

I mean, at least the TV Flashes and movie Quicksilvers look like they're actually running. JL Flash is flailing about.

He ran like his classic comic poses are shown.

Quote Originally Posted by abmccray View Post
    No comic Flash ever runs as if he's bowlegged yet clinging on to dear life, though.

I always thought Gustin, Shipp, and Inferior MCU Quicksilver had decent enough running "poses," at least when the camera's in slow-mo (and in Shipp's case, cool enough for me to try to imitate his poses when I was a Tyke).

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    At this point, I'm not sure I can convince you (which is fine, the debate is half the fun) but just so other people have access to the "flying" Thor does without hammer:
    55 seconds
    https://youtu.be/LnxPkst7STM
    Now you can make your own assessments.

To me personally, looks like descending in an arc, from a huge leap. And an extremely brief mid air twist from a short hop is hardly flying evidence imo. Lots of people from Street Fighters to power rangers do the exact stuff.

None of this still addresses her knocking him on his butt with an AoE opener, thus putting him on the defensive so she can close and chop.

My final point with the Hammer being his only method of flight regardless of power up is context: No other asgardian can fly. Heimdall, Odin, Loki, Hela, regular soldiers etc all depend on pegasus, space craft and such for flight of any kind. The power up and "power inside you" line seem pretty lightning only to me. Even in comics (yes different universe whatevs pfft) when he can spam lightning sans Mjolnir, he can't fly without it. Even earlier in Ragnarok he was saying how the hammer is what pulled him around. Like it was a specific ability of the hammer. It can't exactly "channel" thors inherent flight powers if he's not touching the thing. But it frequently flies independent of him.
    I'm with you on the "flight" feat. It actually looks the end arc of a slow motion leap. Or maybe a D&D Feather Fall spell. It definitely does not look like a superhero flying.

Fantastic Member AdvanceBushido's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abmccray View Post
    Is this really true?
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I have NEVER once said that she can't jump 100 feet. You are all saying that she can jump 100 feet before a guy who reacts to somewhat bullet-ish speed things CONSISTENTLY from 5 to 50 feet away can react in any way to her much larger and more visible body coming at him, at speeds slower than a bullet. That is literally what you are claiming. And it doesn't pass any kind of rational test to try to pass that off. If you want to argue that she's immune to what he can dish, hey, that's an argument there is evidence for, and we can debate it. But arguing that she can cross 100 feet from a stop before a guy who reacts in tiny fractions of a second can react to her? Come on now, that's just not a thing. Again, I'm not saying that Thor is faster, just that he doesn't particularly need to be: he just needs to be able to get out of her way, and get some things ready to hit her, and he does THAT to smaller things, moving faster than she does, consistently - as in: has never missed when trying that sort of thing, ever, in any film.

Your evidence that Thor is fast enough to do any of this all involves various fictional projectile speeds. I'm sorry, that's just not a convincing metric. Hela, for example, not only throws blades that travel visibly to the human eye-- she telegraphs throwing them, and Thor can generate his defenses beforehand based on that. It's like arguing Ian McKellan Magneto is a bullet timer when the dude can throw force fields up beforehand.

Diana has examples of literally not moving until after bullets have been fired. Heck, in that same scene, we see her moving at a decent clip of super speed. It's weird and hard to understand because they are using Zak Snyder's awful "going in and out of slow mo" style, but the timer on the bomb ticks down to 6 seconds, and we see her do everything else there before the bomb explodes in that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0HNA_a7Dhw

You also tried to claim that she can jump "dozens of city blocks".
    Noooo, I said: super leaps that cover, what, a dozen city blocks going by the end of her movie? One dozen, singular. You are the one who changed that to dozens in your head and started going on about kilometers. I know you can't even keep what YOU actually posted here straight, but please make an effort to do so for others.

As for the jump in question, it's already been posted here, and it features her leaping a significant length of the river. I am not sure how far exactly, as the camera angle makes it hard to say, but she's cleared the nearest bridge across the river there and seems on pace to clear the second. The ambiguity of the distances is why I hedged my estimation with the word "what" and a question mark, as I think most others managed to discern. If it isn't a dozen city blocks, then I'll leave it to some third party to say what it is. I know that here in Philly, the average city block is 400 to 500 feet, and she would have jumped my block 10 times over easily there.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 11-30-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: broken link.