Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Default Any good comics dealing with Far Eastern myths and legends?

Adaptations. Fantasy. Preferably not black and white comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    Adaptations. Fantasy. Preferably not black and white comics.
    Osama Tezuka's Buddha - is India rather than far east, but it's a very big deal in east Asian countries..

Not exactly an adaptation, but American Born Chinese covers the Monkey King story from China.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I remember reading a Godzilla one about fifteen years ago. That was a decent read but I sold that years ago so I can't remember the name of the writer or anything.

Why has this been moved to the Independents section? the OP didn't specify only independent comics.

Ichiro by Ryan Inzana

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Probably going to be hard to find these days, but there was an excellent publisher of (Asian-) Indian myths from Virgin Comics, including Devi, The Tall Tales of Vishnu Sharma, and India Authentic (and others I enjoyed less...)
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Wayward deals with a lot of Japanese and Irish mythology.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

It also occurs to me to suggest Usagi Yojimbo: set in medieval Japan, and following the travels of a masterless samurai, it often incorporates Japanese myth and legend in the samurai's adventures, such as kappa (the turtle creatures) and oni (ogres). Two warnings, three, actually: 1. Yojimbo means bodyguard; Usagi means rabbit, and that's what he is: characters are in the forms of animals. 2., It's a now-very-long saga. 3., It's very very good.

That said, it is, throughout its telling, chock full of far eastern mythological beasts, and even better, writer/artist Stan Sakai most often includes a write-up about the mythologicals on his letters page.
    Oh, the obligatory fourth warning: it's (mostly) in black and white.
    Read it anyway. Did I mention that besides referencing lots of far eastern mythologies, it's also very,
    very
    good.
    Last edited by matt levin; 12-02-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I found this mini series at NYCC in 2012, which might be of interest

https://americancomicbooks.info/Onri...nShin_2009.htm

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Probably going to be hard to find these days, but there was an excellent publisher of (Asian-) Indian myths from Virgin Comics, including Devi, The Tall Tales of Vishnu Sharma, and India Authentic (and others I enjoyed less...)
    Wasn't sure if you are aware of the quasi restart of Virgin now called India Graphics with some of the same people involved. Some new people too including two Grant Morrison titles one of which is Avatarex which I liked. Not sure how much of the old catalog is involved but Devi may be one of them.
    Last edited by alton; 12-04-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Amazing Member

Stuff from Amar Chitra Katha is available online, but I'd say it's aimed more at kids with morality messages.
    The stuff I've read teaches to respect women.
    It's an interesting variation from the American themed comics.
    They are full color.