Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

It looks like Berg is out and Johns has been demoted.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12...g-geoff-johns/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Furthermore, he doesn't seem to understand that DC and WB are different things.
    I guess that's because Marvel Entertainment actually make movies, TV series and cartoons, at least before the recent reorganization under Disney. So people often talk about medias starring DC characters as if they are all made by an actual unified entity too, not just the other divisions of WB using DC brand and DC Comics properties.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    I guess that's because Marvel Entertainment actually make movies, TV series and cartoons, at least before the recent reorganization under Disney. So people often talk about medias starring DC characters as if they are all made by an actual unified entity too, not just the other divisions of WB using DC brand and DC Comics properties.
    Gentlemen, I understand that DC Entertainment and WB are "different things." I started a thread over in the Marvel forum suggesting that Disney consider buying DC Entertainment from Time Warner. You can go over there are look it up. At the beginning of that thread, some people were haw-hawing at that idea. Just as some folks were haw-hawing at the beginning of this thread when I said Johns should be replaced.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Gentlemen, I understand that DC Entertainment and WB are "different things." I started a thread over in the Marvel forum suggesting that Disney consider buying DC Entertainment from Time Warner. You can go over there are look it up. At the beginning of that thread, some people were haw-hawing at that idea. Just as some folks were haw-hawing at the beginning of this thread when I said Johns should be replaced.
    You realized that Johns hasn't been replaced, right?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-07-2017 at 07:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You realized that John hasn't been replaced, right?
    He and Berg won't produce any more movies. What else might happen remains to be seen.

Extraordinary Member

He and Berg won't produce any more movies. What else might happen remains to be seen.
    The Variety report said he was to continue in his role as CCO.

What might happen is that, after Wonder Woman, they might just get him to write some more scripts for DCEU movies, even if he's not producing them.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-07-2017 at 07:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    The Variety report said he was to continue is his role as CCO.

What might happen is that, after Wonder Woman, they might just get him to write some more scripts for DCEU movies, even if he's not producing them.
    That's possible. But on the other hand, the Green Lantern and Justice League movies were based on Origin stories that Johns wrote. So I imagine that they'll won't be eager to do that.

Something else to consider is, how will Johns react to this? Even if they want to keep him, would he want to remain there in a diminished capacity? We'll just have to wait for the official announcements and to keep watching things.

Extraordinary Member

That's possible. But on the other hand, the Green Lantern and Justice League movies were based on Origin stories that Johns wrote. So I imagine that they'll won't be eager to do that.
    Well, I've already said this in another post, but Johns didn't write the scripts for those two movies. Again, Zack Snyder's Watchmen received mixed reviews, even though the comic is a classic. Is Alan Moore to blame for that? Man of Steel actually borrowed from Grant Morrison's All Star Superman and his Action Comics run. Does that mean he's at fault for that movie's failures?

And, point of fact, while Johns didn't write the Green Lantern or Justice League scripts, the one movie he did co-write for the DCEU, Wonder Woman, is literally the only one that can be deemed an all-around success.

Something else to consider is, how will Johns react to this? Even if they want to keep him, would he want to remain there in a diminished capacity? We'll just have to wait for the official announcements and to keep watching things.
    Well, again, he's keeping his job. Also, he's still got a very kush job. You seem to want him gone. That alone doesn't mean he's going to be gone.

Astonishing Member

Some people's pathological hatred of Johns are getting in the way of their reasoning.

He is not going anywhere unless DC forces him to. For a comic book writer he has essentially climbed to the top and grabbed a seat at the table. The only two people that can rival his success are Joe Q and Jim Lee.

Incredible Member

Yeah, some people have an irrational hate red for the guy. Personally, I love most of the stuff he’s done. Blaming him for stuff that he had no control over shows an irrationality and lack of understanding to what his job entails that is mind blowing. That, or he’s just a troll which is more likely.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

For a comic book writer he has essentially climbed to the top and grabbed a seat at the table. The only two people that can rival his success are Joe Q and Jim Lee.
    It's not like he really DID anything that special to get there. Much as I dislike, one could even say loathe, a lot of his work, there's plenty that I love, but his MASSIVE success has been built off the back of towing the company line, pandering to nostalgic demographics and getting really, REALLY lucky (though that last one applies to 99% of successful people in any field)

Astonishing Member

Not really. The difference is that he has been successful at towing the company line when it suits him (and pushed back against when it when it doesn't like in Rebirth). There is plenty of people who have towed the company line and failed. You can look at the writers of Countdown for example as the latter. Johns has succeeded because of well loved fan favorite runs that sold very well and not getting into beefs with DC execs (unlike Waid/Robinson/Rucka). It's more than luck that has gotten where he is now. Frankly a lot of the Johns hatred obscures that.

pandering to nostalgic demographics
    Who doesn't? The entire Big 2 is built on that to the point singling out Johns for the crime is unreasonable.

BANNED

Replacements for Johns and Berg will be named in January. The movie people will be looking for another "comics guy" to replace Johns.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...rg-zack-snyder

Replacements for Johns and Berg will be named in January. The movie people will be looking for another "comics guy" to replace Johns.

This reads more like an opinion piece, than actually providing any new information. The Variety report and other trades that subsequently posted it don't say anything about another "comics guy" replacing Johns, they only mention Johns could end up not "overseeing" the DCEU anymore and given an "advisory" position, which is pretty much what he was doing prior to the BvS fallout. It's like you purposely keep trying to make it look as if Johns is out when he's not.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-08-2017 at 09:55 AM.

I don't see where Geoff Johns taking on a more advisory role means Johns is out. It sounds more like he will have a more hands on role as to what gets put into the movies
    instead of like when Snyder had a free reign to do whatever Snyder wanted to do with the characters.