Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Geoff Johns is my favorite, no thanks.

Nah... it's to early, the best of Geoff Johns is yet to come. I like Morrison, but im not sure im are ready for him to take over just yet. Give it a decade or so.

I think the OP may be trying to push this idea of Morrison in charge because, for some unknown reason, the OP really thinks it would also be a fantastic thing if Disney/Marvel bought out DC Comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think the OP may be trying to push this idea of Morrison in charge because, for some unknown reason, the OP really thinks it would also be a fantastic thing if Disney/Marvel bought out DC Comics.
    In guessing what I "really think," you got it terribly wrong.

What I really think is that it's time for Johns to go, and I don't know of anyone besides Morrison to replace him. Well, maybe Bendis could do it too.

And no, I don't think Disney buying DC Entertainment would be a "fantastic idea" for anyone except for Disney. For them though it would be a fantastic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    In guessing what I "really think," you got it terribly wrong.

What I really think is that it's time for Johns to go, and I don't know of anyone besides Morrison to replace him. Well, maybe Bendis could do it too.
    It depends on what you're replacing Geoff Johnson on as to who would be a good replacement for him. And it might also be the case that some of his current responsibilities could/should be redistributed to other people, not just a single person taking on all of his current jobs.

No. I like what Johns has done in the role he has now.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

There's no way in hell that he'll ever replace Geoff Johns. Morrison can write a mean story, but he'd absolutely destroy the DC universe if left unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by wafle View Post
    Nah... it's to early, the best of Geoff Johns is yet to come. I like Morrison, but im not sure im are ready for him to take over just yet. Give it a decade or so.
    Writing wise, the best of Geoff Johns is pushing ten years old now. His best days are way behind him. Its why at the very least that after Doomsday Clock I hope he stops writing comics.

Or I'd gladly take a compromise of him just admitting to himself he sucks with Superman and leaves that mythos to the devices of others.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Nah. Love Morrison's work and ideas, but he's not the right cat that gig.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    If I remember correctly, he already is working as Heavy Metal editor. It seems he is a little occupied right now.
    Yeah, the way I see it, Didio-Lee-Johns-Snyder is sort of a click group that Morrison never quite fit in with.
    He probably took the Heavy Metal gig because he would likely just be left hanging on at DC and passed over.

And... considering how long the current regime's been in power, I wouldn't be surprised if Bendis being groomed for an upper level position.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-26-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    What do you think?
    I can't imagine anyone that would be better for the job than Johns with possible exception of some dead guys like the great Julie Schwartz.

I'd love to have more writing from Morrison (and Johns) at DC but I don't see him as the right sort of person to be in charge of the line.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Johns is the president and CCO. No one call tell him to quit anything at this point besides the head people at WB.

Anyways, I think Scott Snyder is pretty much the big writer now under him.

I think a more sensible replacement for Johns would've been Mark Waid, in a world where he hadn't left DC on bad terms (or at least Didio).

Incredible Member

Geoff Johns is doing a great job where he is now. His writing is great. I’m not sure what anyone’s problem with it is personally. I wish we could get more Johns and less King and no Morrison. Also, what is the issue with g Johns on Superman? His run was actually really good. The stuff with Chris and the Legion was a lot of fun. I do like Morrison’s Animal Man but other than that I haven’t enjoyed anything he’s done at any company. He’s way overrated.

I'm not sure how I would feel about Morrison taking over.

I don't read Heavy Metal so I can't really comment on his tenure there, nor do I know how they handle things behind closed doors and what, precisely, his responsibilities entail. Likewise, I don't know what kind of hoops Johns has to jump through with WB and exactly how far his hand reaches. I know the broad strokes, but I don't know the details. To my knowledge, none of us are privy to that information but if I'm wrong I'd love a link so I can see how the gears turn.

But just looking at the creative end of things.......I gotta say no, he's not the guy I would tap for Chief Creative Officer.

Morrison is divisive. You either love him or you hate him. And I dont think you want someone who's very name causes passionately mixed reactions running the whole show. You want someone a little less....visible. A little more vanilla.

There's also plenty of IP's that I'm not sure Morrison could be trusted to Godfather. He's great with the high concept stuff like Superman and JLA and Flash, and he does wonders with the psyched out mountains of weird like the Doom Patrol, but what about a character like Green Arrow? Someone who doesn't go well with psychedelic philosophy or mind-bending big ideas? Could we trust Morrison to recognize a good direction for properties like that, or would he try to "fix" what isn't actually broken so it's more in line with his sensibilities? DC has been doing this to Superman for decades now, and its not anything I would wish on other fans.

Plus, being involved in the development of DC's output, from comics to films to games, is a time consuming process that is, without doubt, exhausting. Johns has barely written anything since he took the gig. Morrison taking over would likely mean the same thing (he barely writes anything now as it is) and I don't want to live in a world where I can't get my annual dose of Klaus.

I'd love to see DC cut off a few properties for Morrison to Godfather. There's maybe half a dozen IP's that I'd love to see him steering. But the DCU as a whole? I don't think so. I'd be willing to hear his ideas, but I feel like his particular talents would be wasted in a management position like this.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.