Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,452

    Default Favorite Fortress!

    Which Fortress is your favorite? I like the pre-Crisis one myself. With all the big trophies and zoo and Kandor and alien weapons. The crystals don't really do anything for me.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,719

    Default

    Its hard for me to pick, each era had very good takes. I've never encountered one I disliked. So much to the point that I often think a combination of all eras would be the ultimate thing. One aspect that didn't last long that I Thought was particularly cool was the tesseract idea. It'd be cool to weave that in again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Which Fortress is your favorite? I like the pre-Crisis one myself. With all the big trophies and zoo and Kandor and alien weapons. The crystals don't really do anything for me.
    Yeah, I always thought all of the different things in the original fortress was neat. Don't get nor like the crystals either.

  4. #4
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,880

    Default

    There's not really one that I dislike. The tan interiors were particularly neat because it looked more comfortable to inhabit.



    The tesseract is a very rare example of a good update on a classic concept. And I also think the South American location was more intense than "somewhere northish and cold."

  5. #5
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its hard for me to pick, each era had very good takes. I've never encountered one I disliked. So much to the point that I often think a combination of all eras would be the ultimate thing. One aspect that didn't last long that I Thought was particularly cool was the tesseract idea. It'd be cool to weave that in again.
    Pretty much this.

    All the Fortresses have had something cool about them. I suppose if I had to pick a favorite it'd either be All-Star or the Fortress from the early 00's, which still had the post-Crisis aesthetics but was getting some of its pre-Crisis scope and epic-ness back. Was that the tesseract Fortress? I forget.....

    What I want to know is why we can only have one Fortress? Why not have several scattered around earth, the solar system, and beyond? Why not have a Fortress on the banks of the Bleed? Or the border of the Vega system? Or Almerac? Far as I know the Collector of World's ship, which was Clark's first Fortress, is still in orbit, why not use it?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  6. #6
    Incredible Member Agniwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty much this.

    All the Fortresses have had something cool about them. I suppose if I had to pick a favorite it'd either be All-Star or the Fortress from the early 00's, which still had the post-Crisis aesthetics but was getting some of its pre-Crisis scope and epic-ness back. Was that the tesseract Fortress? I forget.....

    What I want to know is why we can only have one Fortress? Why not have several scattered around earth, the solar system, and beyond? Why not have a Fortress on the banks of the Bleed? Or the border of the Vega system? Or Almerac? Far as I know the Collector of World's ship, which was Clark's first Fortress, is still in orbit, why not use it?
    wasnt that retconned along with rebirth?

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,295

    Default

    I am at a loss. I did not know there were versions of Fortress of Solitude. So, can't say anything meaningful here. Whatever you do keep the key.



    Whether it is gigantic. (I love it)



    Or a small one. (I love it).

    See you need a door and a key for protection. The one in Superman Returns was simply open so that Luthor may please to come and go. That's dumb. People think the gigantic key is dumb. I totally disagree with them when a fortress is accessible to anyone who cares to go to the North Pole. One needs a door and a key. That's something basic.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-26-2017 at 08:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Personally on a visual level:

    DCAU Fortress: I liked how discreet it's opening is as opposed to a door with a giant key pointing towards it or the giant crystal fortress look. I also liked how the animated series slowly build it up over time as opposed to just creating it and it solely being Kryptonian influence like the Superman movie made it to be. I also liked the elements it did to make it work for Superman like combining Brainiac's Memory orb with his Kryptonian computer.

    Legion of Superheroes the animated series
    : It takes the classic and well used design from the Superman the Movie/Superman Returns/Smallville/Post Infinity Crisis look and updates it pretty well. Not only in terms of outer but inner designs too, it makes it looks visually interesting and makes it able to stand out very well.


    New 52, alien fortress and crystal fortress designs both were pretty well done. The first Fortress I wish was shown a little more before it was taken out, I like how it was created from his first time facing Brainiac and it just evolved from there, while the crystal Fortress dome look I think was really interesting but didn't get to be shown or expanded on more in my opinion.

    Man of Steel: Honestly the biggest problem with this design, is BvS or Jl doesn't allow this design to evolve past it's original look to let Clark make it feel more at home or more in touch with it. I enjoyed the original look and how alien and foreign it looks, not to mention the fact that I admire the detail Zack put into his designs.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    There's not really one that I dislike. The tan interiors were particularly neat because it looked more comfortable to inhabit.



    The tesseract is a very rare example of a good update on a classic concept. And I also think the South American location was more intense than "somewhere northish and cold."
    I always wondered what those things under glass were. Are they trophies? Are they machines? What are they? One of them is the Eradicator. In Return of Superman it looked like the robots were looking at the things under glass to determine what the Eradicator's condition was. Which suggests they are machines of some kind. It just looked like he had a bunch of old school stock tickers lying around! The floating chairs were cool. I liked the post-Crisis Krypton but their building aesthetics were kind of dull.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  10. #10
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Have to go with either the original Secret Sanctuary outside Metropolis on Earth Two or the Earth One versions. Both were Superman's creations and stocked with his trophies. I could see Superman spending time in either of those places engaging in hobbies (physical workouts, science experiments) as well as coming up with solutions to superheroic problems.

    The Movie and Post-Crisis versions were too Kryptonian and places Superman was given rather than created. It would be like having Bruce discover a cave under Wayne Manor where his father had stored various prototypes and family souvenirs (like paleontologist Ezra Wayne's dinosaur model, Phillip Wayne's custom race car, and the giant penny from the Gotham sesquicentennial display)

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    wasnt that retconned along with rebirth?
    Maybe? Probably? At this point who knows what is in continuity and what isn't.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  12. #12
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am at a loss. I did not know there were versions of Fortress of Solitude. So, can't say anything meaningful here. Whatever you do keep the key.

    Must have been Supergirl that used the key.

    Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    Personally on a visual level:

    DCAU Fortress: I liked how discreet it's opening is as opposed to a door with a giant key pointing towards it or the giant crystal fortress look. I also liked how the animated series slowly build it up over time as opposed to just creating it and it solely being Kryptonian influence like the Superman movie made it to be. I also liked the elements it did to make it work for Superman like combining Brainiac's Memory orb with his Kryptonian computer.

    Legion of Superheroes the animated series
    : It takes the classic and well used design from the Superman the Movie/Superman Returns/Smallville/Post Infinity Crisis look and updates it pretty well. Not only in terms of outer but inner designs too, it makes it looks visually interesting and makes it able to stand out very well.


    New 52, alien fortress and crystal fortress designs both were pretty well done. The first Fortress I wish was shown a little more before it was taken out, I like how it was created from his first time facing Brainiac and it just evolved from there, while the crystal Fortress dome look I think was really interesting but didn't get to be shown or expanded on more in my opinion.

    Man of Steel: Honestly the biggest problem with this design, is BvS or Jl doesn't allow this design to evolve past it's original look to let Clark make it feel more at home or more in touch with it. I enjoyed the original look and how alien and foreign it looks, not to mention the fact that I admire the detail Zack put into his designs.
    Supergirl also had a nice looking Superman's Fortress of Solitude. I liked the giant ice statues of Lara and Jor-El holding a globe that I guess represents Krypton.

    Kara_and_James_arriving_inside_the_Fortress_of_Solitude.jpg

  13. #13
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

    The tesseract is a very rare example of a good update on a classic concept.
    Huh? I know this makes me look very stupid, but I got no idea what that means. I looked it up on wikipedia and this is what it says: In geometry, the tesseract is the four-dimensional analog of the cube; the tesseract is to the cube as the cube is to the square. Just as the surface of the cube consists of six square faces, the hypersurface of the tesseract consists of eight cubical cells. The tesseract is one of the six convex regular 4-polytopes. But I'm not sure what that means either.

    There were some good things about the interior of the post-reboot Fortress (Karl Kesel inks?), but don't like kaftan Jor-El and Lara holding up a world smaller than themselves. This worked with the characters of the Weisinger era Kryptonians, but it feels like a completely wrong interpretation of the cold Kryptonians that Byrne came up with.

    Other than that quibble, you could amalgamate the various Fortresses into one Fortress, like the Doctor's TARDIS or Snoopy's doghouse.

  14. #14
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The Movie and Post-Crisis versions were too Kryptonian and places Superman was given rather than created. It would be like having Bruce discover a cave under Wayne Manor where his father had stored various prototypes and family souvenirs (like paleontologist Ezra Wayne's dinosaur model, Phillip Wayne's custom race car, and the giant penny from the Gotham sesquicentennial display)
    I can get that. Building from scratch is cooler than being gifted or even earning. But when we compare it with Bruce Wayne... well, he was completely gifted his old money dwelling and the funds to build up his cave.

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I always wondered what those things under glass were. Are they trophies? Are they machines? What are they? One of them is the Eradicator.
    Good question. It's like one of those over designed old Kirby devices I guess, since he didn't even get Kandor until 1996. And yeah I dig that flying couch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    See you need a door and a key for protection. The one in Superman Returns was simply open so that Luthor may please to come and go. That's dumb. People think the gigantic key is dumb. I totally disagree with them when a fortress is accessible to anyone who cares to go to the North Pole. One needs a door and a key. That's something basic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Huh? I know this makes me look very stupid, but I got no idea what that means. I looked it up on wikipedia and this is what it says: In geometry, the tesseract is the four-dimensional analog of the cube; the tesseract is to the cube as the cube is to the square. Just as the surface of the cube consists of six square faces, the hypersurface of the tesseract consists of eight cubical cells. The tesseract is one of the six convex regular 4-polytopes. But I'm not sure what that means either.
    In the awesome Man of Steel #100, he gets a fortress that breaks basic physics and allows for more space inside than out. It always works by a combination lock. While I don't mind the key, it's funny because he's really not the only one who can lift it in most stories.





    There were some good things about the interior of the post-reboot Fortress (Karl Kesel inks?), but don't like kaftan Jor-El and Lara holding up a world smaller than themselves. This worked with the characters of the Weisinger era Kryptonians, but it feels like a completely wrong interpretation of the cold Kryptonians that Byrne came up with.
    Jurgens with Perez finishes. But his parents aren't out of place as they are the curators of Krypton, who made the difference between an entirely lost world and a world known far and wide as the birth of modern hope. Poor Lara didn't get much of a role in the origin, but she is well remembered. Funny enough, I was just reading Superman #105, where Superman commemorates the S.S. Lara in her honor.

  15. #15
    Fantastic Member magha_regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I like the silver age and all star fortresses as far as what they are used for and the scope of it. I do like the tessearct fortress as a concept. It gave Superman something in common with Dr. Who (Its bigger on the inside). I do love the visuals of the crystal fortress but its far too glorious to be a secret hideout for one of the most secretive people on the planet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •