Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

I'd say that the AI that came with Kal-El's rocket presents to Superman an image of Krypton that he can understand. So it reads his thoughts and then feeds back a representation of the world that Clark will accept as true. But as the Man of Tomorrow's outlook develops, how he sees Krypton keeps changing. And the Fortress of Solitude just keeps manifesting those different ideas of what the Action Ace thinks Krypton ought to be. So the Fortress never remains static.

Easy. Fortress of Attitude.

The version from the Donnerverse is a true classic. But it's so incomprehensibly alien it's hard to imagine how they made a movie set out of it.

As for favorite? The version seen in Superman/Batman: Apokolips.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayH7VlfyOMI
    It's weird and alien but relatable.

I've always liked the Silver Age / All-Star style Fortress best- full of weird trophies and things. Here's a mechanical monster, here's a Phantom Viewer through which he can talk to the likes of Bar-El, Jax-Ur or Lar Gand (let's be honest: usually Lar Gand), here's a big statue of Lara and Jor-El, here's Kelex, here's a giant penny with the Joker's face on it (as opposed to Batman's giant penny, which perhaps counter-intuitively, has President Lincoln on it), and here's the Bottle City of Kandor.

Is the Bottle City worth having? Well that's another discussion entirely, and I admit I'm not really sure.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Is the Bottle City worth having?
    What's a Bottle City selling for on the collector market these days? Is it worth selling, or should Supes hang on to his in hopes of the value going up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What's a Bottle City selling for on the collector market these days? Is it worth selling, or should Supes hang on to his in hopes of the value going up?
    Well, given real estate values.....I'd recommend he hold onto it for a while. He can probably get a better price in a couple years.

Property taxes on a bottle can't be that high right?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Definitely Silver Age/All- Star. None of the others come close.

Though I do like the suggestion that we could work them all into continuity by giving him multiple Fortresses. Bruce has multiple Batcaves beyond the main one, why not Clark?

Nice thread. I love the FOS concept a lot. It's and iconic part of his mythos. I think Superman should have his Fortress in the live action movies too. If Batman has a cave, Supes has his ice Fortress. It's majestic and mysterious and can sell toys, just make it really interesting with lots of different stuff inside from all over the world and space.

I think they can still re-introduce it in the films. Just say that Superman learned from his Kryptonian heritage how they also had Fortresses on Krypton, so he builts one on a mountain with his alien tech. He has Kelex and can build more robots if he needs. It should be a mix of all the best Fortresses in the comics, animation and live action. Show more of Clark's intellect not just how hard he can punch. Of course, also show his intelligence as a reporter.

Found this interesting article about the history of the FOS. Not sure it mentions the FOS in animation or TV shows. I read it fast lol.

https://www.cbr.com/fortress-of-soli...stal-crib/?v=4
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Easy. Fortress of Attitude.
    Totally agree.

The more crazy, alien stuff it has in it, the more I like it. I love those early Fortress stories where you see all Superman's nutty collections. It should be like his man cave -- cozy, homey, totally built around his interests and adventures.

That said, I really can't stand the Donner Fortress. It's boring and uncomfortable and had far too much influence on the comics for far, far too long.

I’m partial to the Tesseract Fortress myself, I always thought that was a cool idea. That said I like it when his Fortress stores his trophies like in All-Star or when he’s got something like the zoo to occupy his time.

The FOS should definitely be the coolest place. Alien but also inviting enough for guests (show a table and chairs come on) and super interesting with corridors and secret doors and strange artifacts.

Mighty Member

That silver age story: Baytman was hiding inside the key to get into the fortress to surprise Superman for his birthday.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

My personal favorite is the one introduced in Brian Azzarello 's controversial "For Tommorow" wherein it's located in the middle of the Amazon rainforest. I wish they kept it around longer.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm surprised someone dug this old thread out of mothballs! Surprised but pleased! One fortress that gets overlooked, and it's technically not Superman's, is the Citadel Supreme from the nineties Supreme comics. It was the size of an actual city and had all the cool accessories associated with it. Trophies, weapons, Phantom Zone.
    Assassinate Putin!