Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Marvel bring back marvel spotlight?

Marvel spotlight was a comic that would have one hero for a few issues then move on to another. It was a great "try out" book. Ghost rider, spider-woman and moon knight got their first shot there. Should marvel bring it back to try out new and lesser known heroes?

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Yes______________
    Baby Thanos

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yes, definitely. Either Marvel Spotlight or something similar. There are just too many characters in limbo that could use the spotlight.

Invincible Member

I would enjoy it but Marvel and DC have decided that these types of anthology/try out titles don't sell anymore.

Definitely yes. There are quit a few characters that deserve the spotlight so to speak. Shang-Chi also had a Marvel spotlight run and deserves another one if you ask me.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I would enjoy it but Marvel and DC have decided that these types of anthology/try out titles don't sell anymore.
    Yeah, pretty much this. Fans occasionally pester Marvel and DC to do this type of thing, they try it, it doesn't seem to sell, and then they give up on it.

Boisterously Confused

Do The Big Two still keep as many artists and writers on payroll as they did back in the days of Spotlight and Showcase? I don't know it, but I have to wonder if, in addition to the opportunity to launch new solos, titles like Spotlight were meant to help use labor capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this. Fans occasionally pester Marvel and DC to do this type of thing, they try it, it doesn't seem to sell, and then they give up on it.
    Yep, it almost certainly wouldn't be worthwhile for Marvel to do it. A small number of fans would enjoy it, but not enough to last beyond one TPB.

If Marvel wants to try out a new character, they'd do just as well to simply launch the character's book. If they want to know how the Cleveland Steamer sells, they can just put out a Cleveland Steamer solo. Or they can put the Cleveland Steamer into a team title and check the audience reaction.

That would be great. This along with Two-In-One highlighting the Thing and another hero would be fantastic.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Yes. Marvel has so many heroes that not all of them get a chance to have new stories told about them and to build them up and a spotlight book could do just that.
    Last edited by KC; 07-29-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    That would be great. This along with Two-In-One highlighting the Thing and another hero would be fantastic.
    I was just going to say this. Since Two-in-One is selling really well and it'll eventually have to grow out of it's status as a stealth Fantastic Four title once FF finally relaunches, it should shift to the traditional format of spotlighting Thing and a different hero each issue.

my guess is that digital, at best, is what Marvel would be willing to commit to regarding a title like this which is anthology based. it makes things "More difficult" for trade paperback collections, at least nominally, especially since trades are such a big part of the business now.

The Marvel Legacy one-shots were basically Spotlight, but none of them sold well enough - though Darkhawk did get a mini-series afterwards.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been saying to bring this back for years! Marvel Spotlight gave us Spider-Woman!

This would be the perfect book to feature characters that need a spotlight!

Marvel Spotlight featuring Vox !
    Marvel Spotlight featuring Starsign !
    Marvel Spotlight featuring Non-Stop !!
    Marvel Spotlight featuring Lyja The Lazerfist!
    Marvel Spotlight featuring Sharon Ventura!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I was just going to say this. Since Two-in-One is selling really well and it'll eventually have to grow out of it's status as a stealth Fantastic Four title once FF finally relaunches, it should shift to the traditional format of spotlighting Thing and a different hero each issue.
    That's a neat approach. Another might be to make Spotlight a backup feature in a title like The Avengers.