Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    The fact that you think conservativism as a philosophy is by default racism signals that you think such things should be unwelcome.

And I would agree - racism should not be welcome.

But I categorically disagree that conservativism or conservatives as a general rule at racist.
    You have either misunderstood my post, or I poorly worded it. I do not think Racism and Conservatism are by default racist. I've just seen many self proclaimed conservatives state racist things. It is debatable if said beliefs are actually Conservative.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    You have either misunderstood my post, or I poorly worded it. I do not think Racism and Conservatism are by default racist. I've just seen many self proclaimed conservatives state racist things. It is debatable if said beliefs are actually Conservative.
    It was unclear. I would indeed debate that racism is an intrinsic conservative belief. I would not at all argue that there are plenty of racist conservatives. But I would also say that there are many racist progressives. Because we're all people.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

It's not going to happen. It's been tried too many times and just gotten raspberries. The comics companies have finally wised up about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's not going to happen. It's been tried too many times and just gotten raspberries. The comics companies have finally wised up about it.
    It's ironic that someone who is clearly a Green Lantern fan would complain about politics in comics and say that it's only "gotten raspberries" when the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow run is one of the most celebrated - and most pointedly political - comic runs ever.

Green-Lantern-Green-Arrow-Social-Issues.jpg

Invincible Member

You might as well say they should stop doing fist fights in comics because so many comics that have fights in them have been cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's ironic that someone who is clearly a Green Lantern fan would complain about politics in comics and say that it's only "gotten raspberries" when the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow run is one of the most celebrated - and most pointedly political - comic runs ever.
    It was my understanding that that run is critically acclaimed but sold very poorly for its time.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Mighty Member

The only reason that GreenLanter/GreenArrow was allowed to get that polemical is because of its poor sales. The politics actually boosted the series sales. But, that was only because sales were so low on "Green Lantern" to begin with.

Dog-whistling contributes to this problem. I have been called racist (complete with a Godwin-esque accusation of being a Nazi sympathizer) because I have argued that people have a right to live in non-congested areas, or that resources are finite.

Recognizing scarcity, or that immigration and childbirth have costs on society is often used as a dog-whistle by racists. But, the left has too readily conceded those issues, so it is difficult to have intellectually honest conversations about them unless one is willing to risk being called a racist.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I'm sick of politics in my funny books. If I didn't have to see it and hear it every damn day it'd be different.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I'm sick of politics in my funny books. If I didn't have to see it and hear it every damn day it'd be different.
    Thing is, you don't have to see it and hear every day. Politics in comics is very, very rare. At Marvel or anywhere else.

If you read any random Marvel Comic, chances are extremely good that you won't find a trace of politics in it. Some fans want to make it seem as though every comic in Marvel's line is inundated with political rhetoric, but that's not even close to being the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The only reason that GreenLanter/GreenArrow was allowed to get that polemical is because of its poor sales. The politics actually boosted the series sales. But, that was only because sales were so low on "Green Lantern" to begin with.
    Did it really boost sales? I mean, it's tricky to say whether any one thing actually boosted sales, only whether sales increased after an action was taken, but I don't have access to sales figures from that period, I think.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Did it really boost sales? I mean, it's tricky to say whether any one thing actually boosted sales, only whether sales increased after an action was taken, but I don't have access to sales figures from that period, I think.
    If nothing else it certanly has boosted its collcted edition status. Without those political themes it would likely not be as talked about as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Actually, I don't think a basic level of research is unreasonable at all. These are works of fiction, yes, so I don't need a peer reviewed journal or cited sources. And once again I do not require a writer be an expert or agree with my personal views. But if a writer is going to tackle a real world topic, then yes I do think a little research is important. This is fiction, but it's still a job and certain standards of quality still need to be upheld.

Lets say someone wrote a story that was not a comedy or a alternate history or anything, and in this story claimed that Rosa Parks fought off an angry mob to secure her seat on a bus. And the writer presented this story as an account of what actually happened. Would you accept that story as a viable non-fictitious interpretation of actual events? I'd hope not. Why then should we accept a writer who can't manage their own due diligence?

Where did I demand "stringent source-based expert writing?" You're putting words in my mouth and utterly twisting the point I am making. You do understand there's a difference between that and "basic research" right?

Also, I dont believe I ever said that Marvel (or anyone) **must** do anything. When I say I expect a certain amount of intelligence in my comics, that's exactly what I mean; *my* comics. The ones *I* spend money on. If you're happy dropping 3-5 bucks on a title trying to make a social/political point but whose writer can't even bother reading the front page of the paper to have a general grasp on the topic, more power to you.
    And you’re applying your personal definition of expertise to comic book writers. Comics aren’t supposed to be lectures on exact politics. Comics are opinion driven. Do you think Hitler liked seeing his image punched out by Kirby’s Captain America? History depends on your perspective. Sometimes feelings are hurt by opinions in comic books. I’m not going to demand thorough research to appease all party’s reading a comic book.

Regardless of what people was saying 75 years ago, comics sales have been struggling to stay in place for 20 years. Yes, comics are in the managing-decline phase of their life cycle. Their sales will never grow again.

And it's just common sense that you shouldn't put something in your product that 50 percent of your potential market will find objectionable.

People who want politics can watch the news. It's on 24/7. That audience is being served.
    Enraged hysteria now directs comic book subject matter? Pretty soon anybody who doesn’t like butlers or maids is going to get enraged too, and we won’t here the end of it either. I find the enraged sector of society rather tedious because they just distract casual discussion with their continuous interruptions and drama.

Another point is if the enraged are commenting, then they are reading.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

All of this could be sorted out if Cletus Kasady was elected US president in 616.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    All of this could be sorted out if Cletus Kasady was elected US president in 616.
    Probably still less disastrous than Trump.