Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Yes. Also, Under the Hood has an AMAZING DC animated movie, if you want to watch it first.

Personally, my first Batman stories were Arkham Asylum: a serious house on serious earth (its a trip, I tell you) and The Killing Joke (that I consider overrated nowadays). N52 Snyder’s run is new reader friendly (imo).
    Well who knew! I read Arkham Asylum as well as Killing Joke first. Both are good.

You have to pick up Batman Year One.
    If you want to be a collector, get the deluxe hardcover edition.
    Great story and moves fast.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I'd recommend Superman Red Son. Hell of a fun story and no real background requirements to get caught up on a story.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I'd recommend Superman Red Son. Hell of a fun story and no real background requirements to get caught up on a story.
    Yes definitely, that one too! I got it in TPB format when I dove back into this early last year. Excellent story!
    I wish they would reprint it in deluxe format.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

All-New Member

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions so far! Please keep them coming, I'm going to look into all these suggestions today. & did anyone watch the infinity war trailer yet?! Wow!

Mighty Member

Year One is my favorite Batman story and it's an origin story for him and you get to learn a good bit about him and some of his cast. American Alien is one of the best comics Ive read in a while and its a superman origin and it's pretty new so you don't have to dig for it or read old style comics if that's not your thing.

It really depends on if you want a 'continuity experience' that continues into current comics or an 'à la carte experience' that doesn't really influence the current comics (or each other) but comprises some of their best stories.

For the first one, you'd just want to start with Justice League Rebirth, and any of the Rebirth issues of the characters you're interested in.

For the second, you'll have over 50 years of Justice League material to choose from. Just keep in mind that they're almost all considered 'out of canon' currently, and many come from different periods of DC's rebooted canon, which means that they likely won't fit together, either. So just read these as standalones with no expectation of continuity between them.
    For this one, my recommendations would be:
    JLA: Year One
    DCU: Legacies
    Legends
    Justice
    Kingdom Come
    JLA Incarnations
    JLA (original series) #183-185, 200
    Invasion
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

This probably isn't helpful, but if you're okay with reading some comics that aren't up to the standards of today, you could always start at the very beginning when it comes to Justice League. Long running, franchise superhero comics tend to heavily rely on continuity.

A cheapest way to read the Justice League's earlier stories is in the black and white Showcase Presents reprints. I believe the series go up to the middle of the Bronze Age of Comics.
    Here's the first volume: https://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Pres.../dp/1401207618
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 11-29-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Codyking13 View Post
    So they are call the Detroit Era?
    The are referred to the Detroit era, but the comic book is still Justice League of America. Aquaman disbands the League and then reforms them as a smaller group that can commit 24/7 to the team. It starts in Justice League Annual 2 and then carries on to the regular series at issue 233.

I also saw Justice League: Year One mentioned. That series was really good.